News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 1.1 Release Candidate 1 has been released!

Started by Compuart, September 20, 2005, 10:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmacik

Quote from: xenovanis on October 26, 2005, 02:02:07 AM
Marking read will only mark the current board as read, not it's childboards. It has always been that way.
you are wrong.
it marks all of it. i am sure my eyes are still working and seeing well :)
all the childboards got greyed out when i marked read
Home of Elmacik

xenovanis

Yes, it will grey out the image. But it will not mark it's content as read.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Elmacik

so, then this is a problem that needs to be fixed.. :-\
Home of Elmacik

JayBachatero

Quote from: Elmacik on October 26, 2005, 03:37:23 AM
so, then this is a problem that needs to be fixed.. :-\

Like he said its been that way.  It's not a problem.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Elmacik

IMO it is. in a parent board, you click "mark as read" and IT SHOWS YOU LIKE IT DID, because all childboards go greyed out. But then you see its unread.

so, at least its showing greyed child boards is a problem.
and another thing, when you want to mark a board with lots of childs in, you have to click a million times
Home of Elmacik

xenovanis

I guess it uses the same base as when you enter a board with new posts and return to the mainpage, without reading those new posts, the board is grayed out.

Quote from: JayBachatero on October 26, 2005, 09:08:16 AM

She, actually  ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

JayBachatero

Quote from: xenovanis on October 26, 2005, 02:00:06 PM
Quote from: JayBachatero on October 26, 2005, 09:08:16 AM

She, actually  ;)

OOOPS sorry.  I think the gender in topics should be enabled.  :P
Follow me on Twitter

AzaToth

Quote from: sunsay on October 25, 2005, 11:36:13 AM
Quote from: scs on October 25, 2005, 11:02:39 AM
1.This format of bbcode is incorrectly formatting IPB(its paid,what do you expect?)
this is just incorrect nesting.
it can be reached by typing manually in any forum, not only IPB. SMF too.
but IPB supports it, and SMF is not.
it's naive to ask users to use correct nesting for such thins. it is not xml, i right?
i think parser must workaround with such things. =/

This is because the new parser works, first it builds a parse tree, and because of this, the code must be correctly formated. When you type a message, there is some misstake fixing code that will alter your messages, if you have forgot a tag, but the code must be correct when it parses, othervise it can display wrong.

Showing here, if youre code is [b][i][u] text [/b][/u][/i], we will get the parse tree

• [b][i][u] text [/b][/u][/i]

• [b][i][u] text [/b]

• [i][u] text

• [u] text
    • [/u][/i]

If you do a parser that accept incorrect code, then say goodbye to a fast parser, everything goes so much faster if you can think as a tree (from O(n²) to O(n log n) or O(n) or O(log n) depedning on operation)

/Carl

Gargoyle

So let me get this straight....

You mark a board as read and they all grey out but then you still have to mark all the child boards as read too ??

To be honest I don't care if it has always been that way or not. To me it does not make sense or come into logical reasoning for it to be that way. In my humble opinion I think it should be changed to mark all children of the parent board as read also.

It just makes sense for it to be that way. :D

JayBachatero

Quote from: Gargoyle on October 26, 2005, 10:57:39 PM

You mark a board as read and they all grey out but then you still have to mark all the child boards as read too ??

To be honest I don't care if it has always been that way or not. To me it does not make sense or come into logical reasoning for it to be that way. In my humble opinion I think it should be changed to mark all children of the parent board as read also.

Yes thats right thats how it works.  In a way its confussing.  Maybe if enough request is made it can be changed.
Follow me on Twitter

Elmacik

Quote from: xenovanis on October 26, 2005, 02:00:06 PM
I guess it uses the same base as when you enter a board with new posts and return to the mainpage, without reading those new posts, the board is grayed out.

wow! thats a greater problem!

what i am tryin to tell exactly is that.
and this should be fixed, as its a problem
additionally, it marks all the child boards grey, but actually it doesnt mark unread. it just paints the eyes :P
Home of Elmacik

AzaToth

OK, I think I understand the problem now, and I see that it's both a feature and a bug, depending on whom asking :)

Solution:
There should be two buttons, one "Mark Board Read", and one "Recursively Mark Board Read". If you use first option, then the icons should reflect the current state (likewise for the second one, but then it's only one state left)

Then you can implement some more buttons:

• (Recursively)Mark Board Old Read - Mark all topics not on it's first page at current limit
  • (Recursively)Mark Board Sticky Read - Mark all sticky post read
  • \cdots

/Carl

Elmacik

IMO,
there should be two buttons in parent board. "mark read" and "mark read all with child boards" (or anything shorter :P )
Home of Elmacik

imagetownz

Yeeaaah, i've got this release, in the next update do you mind putting buttons in for singnature so the bb codes come out you can use these buttons bellow:

All buttons like that

JayBachatero

Quote from: imagetownz on October 27, 2005, 10:06:44 AM
Yeeaaah, i've got this release, in the next update do you mind putting buttons in for singnature so the bb codes come out you can use these buttons bellow:

All buttons like that

This should go on the request board.
Follow me on Twitter

Gargoyle

I think "Mark All Read" and "Mark Read" should work just fine...

The "Mark All Read would mark the parent and all of it's child boards as read where as the "Mark Read" would mark only the displayed board as read.

If needed additional information could be included in an alt.

codenaught

I could see something like that to be useful. For example here, I only speak english fluently, so I would like to mark all of the child boards in the Language Specific Support board as read, so I don't have to see them in the unread posts page. :) But it takes awhile to go into each individual child board and marking it as read.

I don't think the current functionality is a 'bug' nor do I think it should be changed. But as mentioned an additional "Mark Child Boards Read" or "Mark Read Including Child Boards" could be a nice addition. At least as a mod. ;)
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

JayBachatero

Yea i have the same issue as u aka with the language boards.  thats y i suggested the ignore boards but this will also work if they all get marked as read.
Follow me on Twitter

xtremecruiser

I finally updated my production site 8) and it went off with a hitch.
I even used my test site to modify all them themes ahead of time and put them in the Upgrade themes folders and did them on the fly.

One thing that would be cool to add back is: now in the "News and newsletters" you can not pick groups like you did before, IE just send emails to certain groups instead of "Regular Members"

Spoke too soon :-X
Many users having cookie issues that will not allow them to log on

HEB XI 1

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=50176.msg379728#msg379728

Happy to note that (at least part of) my problems seem to have been host related.  My original host is going to be shutting down, so I moved my site and voila ... admin login issue is gone.  Haven't heard any reports of users not being able to log in (once they recover their encrypted passwords that the DB export/import mangled).

I would still love to know what the issue was, since hosts can sometimes be reconfigured and most are happy to do it.  Would be nice for the people who don't want to or can't change hosts.

Advertisement: