SMF 1.1 Release Candidate 1 has been released!

Started by Compuart, September 20, 2005, 10:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

I ran an the UPGRADE.php from the Upgrade version on a couple of my forums having the log-in problems.  It seems to have done the trick for all the log-in problems, other than the admin log-in problem (although come to think about it, I haven't taken the security admin check thing back to default, so it MIGHT have fixed that too, just don't know yet)

ian

I was wondering how near the final 1.1 is to release? I currently have 1.0.3 installed, and I'd like to know whether I should wait for 1.1, or just install the RC1? I ask because I've made quite a few little modifications, and don't really want to have to make them again soon after :)

J_C

Same situation as Ian above.   Looking to upgrade from 1.0.5, but I'm going to be doing quite a few customizations afterwards.  Knowing the general time line, to know if I should wait or go ahead, would be great~    :D

JayBachatero

The Dev team here do not like to give timelines due to the fact that this is something they do on their free time.  It's not their job and they have another other things to do like work take care of family some of them and life gets in between them.  So they think its better if they don't give the public high expectations and give a time line and release date to not meet them later on.  They just release it when they think its ready.  I personally thinks that RC2 will be out soon.  The reason being that they have over a months and change with RC1 out and they usually last 6 weeks or so per RC release. I'm expecting 1.1 to be final by end of Dec. begginning of Jan.  Lets not put pressure on the developers and let them decide when they will release it.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

J_C

No pressure.  Just a Question.

But thank you for the input, it helps!!

Kero

Was just wondering...
In the perspective of installing a fresh, new board for a fresh, new site:
Would you suggest me using the 1.1 RC1 or keep with the 1.0.x until the 1.1 final is out ?

Note: I'm at ease with installing non-final software and stuff. Was just wondering if 1.1 RC1 could cause important troubles to some of the users of my boards ?

J. Williams

1.1 is not convertable at the moment

1.0 admin center still not tidy
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

forsakenlad

I have not had any issues with the 1.1 RC1 release and it is pretty stable. But If you are uncomfortable with beta software, I would recommend you to wait for the final version.

Added: scs, what do you mean by not convertable?
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

J. Williams

Most bulletin boards doesn't have a converter for SMF 1.1
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Kero

As I said, I'm kinda at ease with beta softwares and stuff. Actually I've coded the engine (PHP/MySQL) of my new site myself so installing a php script, even in beta, shouldn't be such a problem.
If the site is useable without big troubles by normal users just like any other boards, then no problem. Except if anyone see any other downside to 1.1 RC1 over 1.0.x final ?

forsakenlad

Quote from: Kero on November 05, 2005, 06:34:00 PM
As I said, I'm kinda at ease with beta softwares and stuff. Actually I've coded the engine (PHP/MySQL) of my new site myself so installing a php script, even in beta, shouldn't be such a problem.
If the site is useable without big troubles by normal users just like any other boards, then no problem. Except if anyone see any other downside to 1.1 RC1 over 1.0.x final ?

There are no downsides, but there are a lot of new features like the introduction of a much better and faster search system, better RTL support, speed enchancements and more!

Prasad007

Quote from: forsakenlad on November 06, 2005, 08:02:32 AM

There are no downsides, but there are a lot of new features like the introduction of a much better and faster search system, better RTL support, speed enchancements and more!
and a buddy list  :D ;D ;) :)

Trekkie101

Quote from: forsakenlad on November 06, 2005, 08:02:32 AM

More bugs because of the extra code added, no security record proven to the degree of 1.0,  There are some downsides, just not so apprent.

Uzbekistan

Quote from: scs on November 05, 2005, 06:31:00 PM
Most bulletin boards doesn't have a converter for SMF 1.1
I converted from vB 3.0.3 to smf 1.1 PB3 some time ago! And there are converters in the related subforum. But there were loads of tricks. Finally what i did: i converted to smf 1.0.5, and then just upgarded to the latest version.
I had a few problems within these 5 months, my site went down couple of times (once i had settings.php completely emptied! someone here said that it was a bug of smf). However overall it is working good. Well, as a free prog smf is good and probably the best. The downside - lack of mods, even the existing ones are going...

J. Williams

When i mean converters,i mean ones which can convert smf to .....
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

forsakenlad

LOL, why would someone do that? If they feel uncomfortable they can take a backup before converting to SMF.

J. Williams

SMF is a posh forum software

Say someone wants a mod only phpbb got,they want to switch but can't due to the change of sql structure in 1.1
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Daniel D.

Quote from: Trekkie101 on November 06, 2005, 08:06:06 AM
More bugs because of the extra code added, no security record proven to the degree of 1.0,  There are some downsides, just not so apprent.
Can you name the bugs? These uncountable bugs? ::)

Trekkie101

Quote from: Daniel D. on November 06, 2005, 12:47:09 PM
Quote from: Trekkie101 on November 06, 2005, 08:06:06 AM
Can you name the bugs? These uncountable bugs? ::)
Sorry, I meant in general, the more code, the more space for a bug to be present. Such as 1.0 didnt have a bug deleting categorys, yet 1.1 Beta 3 had an error with it, the same with pulling SSI data from an empty board. SMF 1.1RC1 is bound to have some bugs that 1.0 never.

Uzbekistan

Yeah, the thing i don't like most about smf - it its "bloated" design, no offence, and lack of mods! It looks "posh". I'd prefer something simpler & clearer. And changes to design always make the package manager unusuable - almost all the mods i had to apply manually.
Sometimes i think of switching to other boards - but absence of "converters from smf to..." stop me! And probably the fact that since i spent so much time with smf - i start loving it! :D

Advertisement: