News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

" />

Started by toastedone, April 16, 2013, 01:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toastedone

Every page on my forum is showing " />  in the top left corner,  how can i fix this please?

toastedone

I have found the source of the issue, it is duplicated at the end of the google verification meta. When I go to my cpanel and try to edit index.php I can not see any code there. Is it somewhere else?

kat

If it's everywhere, one would suspect index.template.php...

Have a look at the line right after the <body> tag. Looks like there's a line, there, that's just:

" />

which shouldn't be there.

toastedone

I have looked in all the . Php files there is no code just text

kat

Can you attach that theme's index.template.php file, to your next post?

We can have a gander at it, then. :)

toastedone

I will when I get home, I am at work right now

ziycon

Try looking in your language files if you've no luck in the other locations.

Kindred

how are you "looking" at the php files?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

toastedone

Clicking on it within cpanel and clicking edit

Kindred

Depending on how your cpanel is set up, that could be a recipe for trouble...

And when you say "I can not see any code there" and "just text" what do you mean?

The google stuff gets added to your theme's index.template.php, so that is the file in which you probably have the extra closing />
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

Quote from: toastedone on April 16, 2013, 08:22:17 AM
Clicking on it within cpanel and clicking edit

You are probably choosing the WRONG cpanel editor. You want an actual text editor, not a WYSIWYG page editor. If this is actually "cPanel", I recall there being several "editors" available, but I don't recall exactly what they're labeled. Try the other one.

hcfwesker

If itis on every page, and at the top of the forum, I'd check both index.template.php and languages/modifications.english.php , and look for something that got randomly added at the very bottom after the ?> closing of the file

toastedone

Hi I'm back, I have found out why I could not see any code in cpanel, it was because I was clicking on edit rather than code editor, now i have 4 themes installed I Have looked at all the of the index.template.php I guess they are all the same? but I can not see the error

hcfwesker

time for some process of elimination.  slect each theme on your forum, and see which one's it appears for, if all then it could be in a Sources file, like Load.php

did you check under the languages folder for modifications.english.php & index.english.php

Quote from: toastedone on April 16, 2013, 02:45:09 PMbecause I was clicking on edit rather than code editor

You can alos just click "Show File" since you're only looking, not editing, then select the edit option when you're ready to actually edit out the excess code

toastedone

I thought I may have something to do with this

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="<meta name="google-site-verification" content="lSVXRjSw_I7fntNSmLCyNNGfc1QCouMkJwviPN4PZ9Q" />" />

But i can not find that line in any of the files.

hcfwesker

yeah, that's definitely the issue.  did you install a google verification MOD? http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1527

Goto index.template.php

hit Ctrl+F to bring up the search bar in the file, then search for this phrase and see if it pulls anything up
<meta name="google-site-verification"

toastedone

hcfwesker

read my edit, that code gets added to index.template.php.  what other MODs do you have installed, because i checked the parser and the MOD doesn't add that phrase

Kindred

and no... it won't have that exact string, because the acutla CODE is done inside the admin tool and then referenced by a variable in the actual php file.
Слaва
Украинi

toastedone

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="lSVXRjSw_I7fntNSmLCyNNGfc1QCouMkJwviPN4PZ9Q" />
</head>
<body>';

toastedone

Should i attach the file?

hcfwesker

YES, use the attachmemts option in the post reply here.  dont physically copy paste the entire file text in a post

toastedone

Attached and thanks

Kindred

I know what happened.

He installed the google site verification mod and thne pasted the entire site verification tag line as the contents in smf admin...   so, it replaced the variable with the entire tag.  He was SUPPOSED to enter just the code by itself.

Слaва
Украинi

hcfwesker

Quote from: Kindred on April 16, 2013, 03:46:27 PM
and no... it won't have that exact string, because the acutla CODE is done inside the admin tool and then referenced by a variable in the actual php file.

Could it deal with the code he's adding in the admin menu that's causing the broken url ending

EDIT::

well, got my answer up above :D

Kays

Quote from: Kindred on April 16, 2013, 03:46:27 PM

On the same note. What did you enter into the setting for that mod?

Is it just the string ("lSVXRjSw_I7fntNSmLCyNNGfc1QCouMkJwviPN4PZ9Q") or did you enter more?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

toastedone

Quote from: Kindred on April 16, 2013, 03:53:35 PM
I know what happened.

He installed the google site verification mod and thne pasted the entire site verification tag line as the contents in smf admin...   so, it replaced the variable with the entire tag.  He was SUPPOSED to enter just the code by itself.

That sounds about right

toastedone

Kindred

yes.   Correct the code that you entered for the mod configuration in smf admin.

use ONLY the code... not the whole tag
Слaва
Украинi

toastedone

So enter the code again using the mod?

Kindred

go to the mod settings in smf admin.

remove the:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="lSVXRjSw_I7fntNSmLCyNNGfc1QCouMkJwviPN4PZ9Q" />

from the mod setting and enter ONLY this:
lSVXRjSw_I7fntNSmLCyNNGfc1QCouMkJwviPN4PZ9Q
Слaва
Украинi

toastedone

all good now, sorry for the hassle and thanks for the help..

how many times a day do you frustrated with peoples incompetence?

TheListener

Quote from: toastedone on April 16, 2013, 04:08:33 PM
how many times a day do you frustrated with peoples incompetence?

That is an answer which is not for public viewing.

;)

kat

I wouldn't call it "Incompetance", toastedone.

You either know these things, or you don't.

You didn't.

You do, now. :)

Most of this stuff's a learning-experience, for most of us.

Advertisement: