Package Manager not displaying

Started by bosswhite, April 16, 2013, 04:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosswhite

I have posted this on SimplePortal forum also, but post here incase anyone else has encountered this or knows of a solution.

I have SMF 2.0.4 installed.

Since installing SimplePortal 2.3.5 the  Package Manager only displays as a blank white page and I cannot use it. All other administration features work fine.

What could be causing this?
I've been down so long now it's beginning to look like up..

kat

Have you looked in your error-log?

Anything pertinent, there?

bosswhite

Nothing in error log.

I am only assuming there is a connection with SimplePortal installation as that was the last time that I had accessed and used Package Manager.

The url shown when I select PM is
index.php?action=admin;area=packages;b6d73a284c85=b4dc2b90cb0501ada5ba7f4992749bec

Does this seem correct?

Storman™

I would guess that SP has not installed completely.

Suggest you manually check all the file edits that SP makes.

Kindred

this seems to be a recurring issue with some folks.

I have never been able to reproduce it and I wish that we had some commonality between the reports that we could point to (like, all on the same host, or all making the same edits, etc)

The likely cause has to do with chmod permissions on files...
in which case the resolution is simple - make sure that all of your files (new and edited ones, especially) are the correct chmod for your host (likely to be 644)

the other likely cause has to do with improperly modified files.
Did your install of simpleportal go automatically and without an errors? Did you have to make any manual edits?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bosswhite

Quote from: Kindred on April 17, 2013, 11:40:17 AM
Did your install of simpleportal go automatically and without an errors? Did you have to make any manual edits?

It appeared to install OK and I didn't have to modify any files.

I am test driving SMF with SimplePortal before making a decision on switching my established forum to these.

I have backed up my database and will now reinstall SMF and then SimplePortal and keep a log of any issues, as and when they occur.

kat

A hunch...

Do you have a mod named PrettyURLs installed, by any chance?

bosswhite

Quote from: K@ on April 17, 2013, 01:11:21 PM
Do you have a mod named PrettyURLs installed, by any chance?

No, I didn't have that mod installed.

Now, here is the weird thing:
I deleted ALL files from my forum directory. I then copied a fresh install of SMF 2.0.4 into that directory but, instead of running Install.php I copied Settings.php (from my earlier install) back into the forum directory.
I then went online and, hey presto, everything works fine (obviously not the portal stuff) and when I went into Package Manager all was well and displayed correctly.

Then I uploaded (via FTP) SimplePortal mod into packages as I had done previously (when the site was working OK) with all my mods. Then, when I tried to go into Package Manager on my site - blank white screen!
So I deleted the SimplePortal directory from packages and then Package Manager is working OK again but obviously there are no packages to view!

Storman™

Try installing it as a package instead of uploading it in a directory.

In  Administration Center => Package Manager => Download Packages use the "Upload a Package" functionality instead.

bosswhite

Weird!

As soon as I clicked on upload - blank white screen
If I then delete the package I uploaded everything is back to normal.

It appears that as soon as a file is placed in SMF/Packages directory this is what happens.

Storman™

Are the permissions of the Packages folder set at 755 or something else. Also is the "owner" the same as all the other folders ?

bosswhite

Packages folder is set to 755

How do I check the 'owner'?

Kindred

I wonder....

What you uplaod the file through the package manager and you get a blank screen, look in the packages directory... what is the chmod of the mod file

Does this same problem happen with all mods or just simpleportal?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bosswhite

• I just tried uploading another package and the same thing happens
  • When I upload I am selecting a .zip file, is this the correct way?
  • I am using free hosting to test these utilites (SMF and SimplePortal) and they are currently displaying the following:

We're currently experiencing issues due to a DDoS attack targeting our servers. This is resulting in some of our customers sites being slow or even unavailable. Our admin team currently blocking attack source and server should back online shortly.

This is a global issue and most of the incoming traffic is being directed to the WordPress login page which is why during the attack WordPress logins will be disabled and wp-login.php script will redirect to our error page.

could this be anything to do with it, although I don't get redirected to their error page

fanta291327

The same thing is happened to me, it lets me download them, but when i go to install it just has a blank white page.... nothing happens and it wont install.... is there anyway SOMEONE can fix this for me....?

fanta291327

But i do get a warning in the warning log:

Ron Neal
    Today at 02:41:28 AM
ac07db0d73aca1987912284b10e6a4a7
Type of error: Undefined
hxxp:star-rp.net/index.php?action=admin;area=membergroups;sa=edit;group=18 [nonactive]: Undefined index: group_inheritFile: /home/starrpne/public_html/Sources/ManageMembergroups.php
Line: 659

Problem Line:
==>659:         if ($_POST['group_inherit'] != -2 && !allowedTo('admin_forum'))

Kindred

Fanta, that error has nothing to do with the package manager problems.
Слaва
Украинi

fanta291327

Sorry,
Its just aggravating that i cannot install mods....

Kindred

So, answer the same questions that I asked bosswhite...
Слaва
Украинi

fanta291327

Not sure what you mean and ALL MODS i do not even have simpleportal

Advertisement: