Main Menu

please help

Started by shellspectrum, April 18, 2013, 03:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shellspectrum

wow pigofdestinty that is so kind

shellspectrum

my forum is called A is for Autism
the url says autismandaspergersinthefamily but i changed the name so when i change the domain i am hoping to get a is for autism.co.uk as the url at the moment as not changed with the forum name change
I am not sure if your coding will work createaforum say its more ezforum than sm now

URL=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/shellspec/media/rainbow_zpsb8377ffe.jpg.html][/URL]

MrPhil

If you have an image at hand, find the index.css file, and under "body" you'll find a background: property. Change the "url" entry to point to your custom image (remember that any relative address is relative to the directory holding the index.css file). Depending on how you want the new background to repeat, you may have to change the "repeat" entry to repeat (tiled, the default), repeat-x, repeat-y, or no-repeat. Back up the index.css file first, so you can restore it if you screw up.

shellspectrum

its the forum style,it only lets you change the header not the actual background
i will look in the file and see what i can do,thank you very much for your time

Kindred

using a free forum hosting site will severley limit how much you can customize and modify your forum site.

The only thing that you can really do is to get your own domain and your own (paid) host - then you will have full control.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shellspectrum

i tried go daddy the other night as this is what is in my domain manager on my forum,i am going to have to get a domain to change my url as i changed my forum name but the url stayed the same.all the styles which are available are extremly bright and blurry,but i dont think it will change even on a domain as createaforum have done some mods to the SM forum,they say its more like ezforum now and no styles will work,i just really wanted a banner going accross the header with my forum name on but am limited as the styles are limited

winniethepooh

shellspectrum, i've set you up with your own domain and hosting account, i'm installing smf for you as we speak. your new domain name is a-is-for-autism.tk

your members will have to be imported to the database. do you have access to the database at all?
"But I'm tryin' Ringo.I'm tryin' real hard to be the Shepherd."

winniethepooh

Ok, your site is up and a theme with multiple colors has been installed. it has five different logos, which you can edit to your liking. when you have finished editing, please upload them to me and i will install them on your site. also i will need you to export your database so that i can populate the new database with your users.
the link to your site is http://a-is-for-autism.tk pm me for your username and pass. once you have logged into your admin account please change the password and email i used to set up the site with. attached below are the 5 logo images.

mashby

This could be an interesting situation. I'd say you've gone beyond what the OP is asking for which can be admirable and could also be somewhat unstable. I'm hoping the OP can understand that the site you have made is not under his complete control. That detail would make me nervous. I understand and appreciate you are trying to help, but I think you've taken this in a direction that might not be the right one.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

winniethepooh

Quote from: mashby on April 19, 2013, 05:47:06 PM
This could be an interesting situation. I'd say you've gone beyond what the OP is asking for which can be admirable and could also be somewhat unstable. I'm hoping the OP can understand that the site you have made is not under his complete control. That detail would make me nervous. I understand and appreciate you are trying to help, but I think you've taken this in a direction that might not be the right one.
I see what you are saying, but i don't have any alterior motive. I'm just going to install the images and setup the database for him. once complete i will transfer the ftp information to him and he will have full control. i even set up an administration account for myself in case he/she ever needs help. The only reason i did this is because he/she really seems to be struggling with this stuff and i felt the need to help.

Chalky

shellspectrum: please remember that you are not obliged to accept any offer, however kind it may seem.  "No thank you" is always a perfectly acceptable answer, though as an aspie myself I know how difficult it can be to recognise when we have the right to say it  :)

NanoSector

Quote from: pigofdestiny on April 19, 2013, 05:59:17 PM
Quote from: mashby on April 19, 2013, 05:47:06 PM
I see what you are saying, but i don't have any alterior motive. I'm just going to install the images and setup the database for him. once complete i will transfer the ftp information to him and he will have full control. i even set up an administration account for myself in case he/she ever needs help. The only reason i did this is because he/she really seems to be struggling with this stuff and i felt the need to help.
With just the FTP details a user doesn't have full control over his site. Make clear decisions about this.

Quote from: ChalkCat on April 19, 2013, 06:00:31 PM
shellspectrum: please remember that you are not obliged to accept any offer, however kind it may seem.  "No thank you" is always a perfectly acceptable answer, though as an aspie myself I know how difficult it can be to recognise when we have the right to say it  :)
Couldn't agree more :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Kindred

no offense meant to the pig...   but as a new user in this community and one who proudly declares himself "king of the trolls" I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to accept a site where he had control.

shellspectrum,

there are several decent hosts with a variety of offerings available in our hosts and hosting area. Those hosts are backed by user reviews and are known quantities in this community.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

winniethepooh

Quote from: Kindred on April 19, 2013, 07:09:18 PM
no offense meant to the pig...   but as a new user in this community and one who proudly declares himself "king of the trolls" I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to accept a site where he had control.

shellspectrum,

there are several decent hosts with a variety of offerings available in our hosts and hosting area. Those hosts are backed by user reviews and are known quantities in this community.
I'm not here to troll, king of the trolls is just a reference to my my Forum, Trollzilla. . I was extending my offer out of genuine kindness and the fact that shell spectrum is having such a hard time with all of this stuff. the hosting account is a free one from 3owl and the domain name was free as well through Dot.Tk. I'd appreciate it alot of if you would ask me before jumping to conclusions. No Offense.

mashby

I'm sure you meant well enough, but what you've done isn't entirely what the OP needed.
Quote from: shellspectrum on April 19, 2013, 05:34:38 AM
the url says autismandaspergersinthefamily but i changed the name so when i change the domain i am hoping to get a is for autism.co.uk as the url at the moment as not changed with the forum name change
I am not sure if your coding will work createaforum say its more ezforum than sm now[/img][/URL]
From this, he wants autism.co.uk. I'm sure he'll appreciate what you have done, but it's not really the right direction. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

winniethepooh

Quote from: mashby on April 19, 2013, 09:46:46 PM
I'm sure you meant well enough, but what you've done isn't entirely what the OP needed.
Quote from: shellspectrum on April 19, 2013, 05:34:38 AM
I am not sure if your coding will work createaforum say its more ezforum than sm now[/img][/URL]
From this, he wants autism.co.uk. I'm sure he'll appreciate what you have done, but it's not really the right direction. :)
Ok then, well can you or whoever remove the posting restrictions on my account? i wasn't spamming or trolling, i was just tryin to help. i won't make the same mistake again.

shellspectrum

chalkcat thanyou.and everyone else i am not sure what an OP is and what i have done wrong to cause a problem

shellspectrum

I am not sure about domain,no i have no access to my forum all it says is when i go to godaddy to but 2 names and ip address they give you and drive the domain there are no access files all i know is i needed to move from freeforums i have been with them since 2007,but i needed a forum with more things like login with FB twitter etc.the styles they have are limited and really expressed what my is about,i managed to change the header but the style is to high no matter how large i make the header pic.I only mentioned i wanted a domain name as my url did not change when i changed the forum name
I am so sorry i have caused so much trouble all i wanted was a new style and a nice picture at the top
just to add I am female
pigof destiny,that is very kind of you to do that for me it is very much appreciated and i appreciate all your hard work in helping me.thank you all so  much for helping and for advice,i did not mean to cause any trouble,i just wanted a new style,i am not very good at wording and i should have explained more once again i am so sorry

Chalky

shellspectrum, you have caused no trouble at all  :)

OP stands for "original poster" - it's just a quick way of referring to the person who started the thread, in this case, you ;)

I don't know how createaforum works, so I don't know how you can change your style and logo image there.  Do they not have a support section to ask in?   I do know however that what the others have said is true, that you will have far more control and flexibility if you move your forum to paid hosting.  There are some very good hosts here if you have a look through the paid hosting section of this forum, and you don't have to spend all that much.  I advise you to stay clear of Go Gaddy hosting though.  I had my forum with them to start with and I can't tell you the number of meltdowns they caused me because of slowness, random error messages, losing connection in the middle of installing mods...  I'm with CoreISP now and have never looked back :)

shellspectrum

yes they do but they say they have modified sm machines and its now more ezforum and that no styles or codes only there own will work on the forum i asked them if they can tone down the color a bit of the style and they said It depends on exactly what you want to change. I can give you some coding for small requests like background color but don't expect me to redo the entire style to be a bit darker.i told him i dont axpect anything just to know which part of the code i needed to change to make the color less,

Advertisement: