News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Recent Maintenance

Started by Runic, April 21, 2013, 02:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaks

Hello,

Firstly we would like to thank everyone for their patience during this short outage.
We put the forum into Maintenance mode for 2 reasons:

1. To alter the order of the boards, remove some redundant boards and make some changes that will improve the functionality of the site. We know this is going to take some time to get used to, but we hope that you can all understand the need to do this.

2. To run maintenance tasks. Believe it or not: they have not been ran on this site for quite a while, so it was agreed upon that we would take this opportunity to run these tasks. This should have fixed some small bugs on the site and we hope the site will now run smoother and put less load onto our servers.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this topic.

Thanks,
SMF Team
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Antes

Chalky

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

DarkPAN

Good work, particularly the ordering of the boards.

Was there prior announcement of the downtime? I must have missed it...  :o

- Marco

Arantor

There was no prior announcement. But I think part of it is simply that it went on a little longer than expected (it wasn't expected to take the time it did, so no formal announcement would theoretically have been needed)

Good job, though :)

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on April 21, 2013, 02:33:55 PM
There was no prior announcement. But I think part of it is simply that it went on a little longer than expected (it wasn't expected to take the time it did, so no formal announcement would theoretically have been needed)

Good job, though :)
Yeah, on the discussion someone said it took much longer than expected.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Deaks

yeh it did, the SQL server decide to slow down alot.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Adrek

I just wonder, why board SMF Feedback and Discussion was archived? Now there's no board for feedback or general discussion?
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

Arantor

Because virtually every topic posted in it had a better home in either the support boards or the mod/feature request boards.

Deaks

Arantor is correct, it has been a long time since we had any true feedback.  We also merged a few categories together as they werent really needed to be seperated.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

DarkPAN

The category "Customizing SMF" contains a board entitled "Building Your Community and other Forum Advice".

Is that the correct placement for the board?

Within that board is a locked and stickied guideline from a member with a very short nickname, which contains text as follows:

Quote from: HQuestions regarding how SMF works or how to customise it should NOT be posted here.

I hope nobody minds me saying these things.

- Marco

Deaks

there will be a few small things like that, the section is pretty much same but it works better there as you need to customise different aspects to build your community.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Irisado

Quote from: phantomm on April 21, 2013, 03:03:12 PM
I just wonder, why board SMF Feedback and Discussion was archived? Now there's no board for feedback or general discussion?

The new Site Comments, Issues, and Concerns strikes me as being sufficiently broad in scope to be a place to post feedback.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: