News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mod install white screen?

Started by tomato721, April 21, 2013, 03:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomato721

I tried to install SMFPacks Shoutbox on my forums sesforums. com/forums/index.php and everything is ok until i press install, then its a whitescreen :( what do i do?

Looking

Did you get error messages before you pressed the install button?

Are you sure it is for your version of SMF?

tomato721

This is the first time im installing mods so i dont know what version i should use, Update: i decided to get simpleportal instead which should be better, Same problem , white screen. There are no errors ive waited for 10 mins now

my version is 2.0.4  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1104 which one should i download

tomato721

I g2g sleep now, we can talk about it 2 moro thanks guys very helpful !

tomato721

Ok i set the permisionns on full and still same problem :(
any help please? This is really essential

Kindred

you ste the permissions on full?   What do you mean by that?
Files shoudl be 644, directories 755.

Is your host running mod_security?
Who is your host?
Have you ever been able to install any mods?
If so, what was the last mod that you installed and/or what did you change since that last mod?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Thing is, as that link explains, YOU can't change the CHOWN permissions. Only your host can do that.

tomato721

Ok, i changed it to 755 and 644 for files and directories, I am using hosting24. I asked on live chat about mod security and they told me to submit a ticket for the modsecurity. I asked about the CH... thing and they told me to change the permissions in file manager
I managed to install one tiny mod after refreshing the page, Dosent work with the others.
What do i do :O

Storman™

QuoteI asked about the CH... thing and they told me to change the permissions in file manager

Did you ask them the correct question ? There's a difference between "CHOWN" and CHMOD" (google it..).

You probably won't be able to change the CHOWN settings in your file manager unless you have a VPS at least.

tomato721

OOk, i think i asked them chmod ill contact suppprt now :P

Storman™

Whilst you at it ask them what "php handler" they are using with their hosting.

tomato721

i asked the support and they said "We are using mod php handler. and CHOWN are already set for your account."

Sir Osis of Liver

If you upgraded from 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 -> 2.0.4 using package manager, try uninstalling the updates and see if the mod installs.

Appears to be a bug in 2.0.3/2.0.4.  Hopefully it's being looked into.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

the thing is, I don't think it is a bug in 2.0.4, because I did exactly that upgrade and also fresh installations since then... and I can not replicate this.

There has to be some shared mis-setting between the hosts/servers which are affected.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't remember seeing any posts about this prior to 2.0.3, so something must be different.  Was anything changed in the error handling?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

There was in 2.0.4 at my recommendation but nothing that would generate a white screen.

Oldiesmann

Go to Admin -> Maintenance -> Logs. Is there anything in the error log? Even though the error isn't being displayed, something should still be logged there.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Kindred

Oldiesmann,

there will likely never be an error in the log from a white screen.

Whitescreens are a php level failure and the script never even makes it to the error reporting stage.
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

There is no error log and this is a fresh install. Also now the whole package manager is white-screening and i have to refresh like 5 times for it to show

Kindred

tomato,
since you have your own thread here, please stop dropping into other people's tyhread with requests for help in those threads...

The short answer, as I said the svendaniel is

--ask hosting24 to get you access to more memory.
-- get a better host.

(and BTW: There is an error log generated.  In your root public_html directory, see the file called error_log)
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

There is no file called error_log?
and ok :)

tomato721

[22-Apr-2013 21:40:00 Asia/Dubai] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) in /home/sesforum/public_html/forums/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 531

Found error, how much more memory should i ask from theM?

Kindred

you should have AT LEAST 64M no less... more is better
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

I asked support, they said the default is 8mb limit, They told me
QuoteIf you get PHP error 'Allowed memory size of XXX bytes exhausted' here is one way how you can fix: This error message can spring up in a previously functional PHP script when the memory requirements exceed the default 8MB limit. Don't fret, though, because this is an easy problem to overcome. To change the memory limit for one specific script by including a line such as this at the top of the script: ini_set("memory_limit","128M"); Another way how this could be fixed is by modifying .htaccess file and adding this line to it: php_value memory_limit 128M
I added those to the htacess but it still dosent work, :(

Kindred

yup...   I tried the same thing with svendaniel's account and it also failed
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

Our hosting is not overselling. We have a lot of servers and in server we have not a lot of users. There is some other problem. And your php memory limit is already 128Mb, if you need more you can upgrade to VPS.
they said that

Kindred

did the error message in error_log change after you added the memory increase?
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

Nope, i asked they guy he says that i need to buy a vps lol?

Kindred

see.... this is what I mean.

I run 5 SMF forums, simultaneously on a single host and I don't get this error....

Actually, it is looking as if the majority of the problems are occuring on folks who have the cheap oe free plans on Hosting24 and 000webhost
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

So... what do you suggest i do? i really need this for my school lol :P

Kindred

I would suggest getting a better host.

$10 a month is the cheapest that I would go for... but my primary hosting service offers an economy plan at $6 a month
http://icdsoft.com/
and there are a number of hosts listed in our hosts and hosting boards who are known to support and handle sites properly.
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

Guess what? screw it i dont need simple portal. Do u know a method to add a third party chatbox e.g XAT to the forums.?

Kindred

see...  you're problem is robvious with the package manager right now...   however, there is a good chance that something else will trigger the same problem later on - and the more crap you add to the site, the more likely you are to get it.

(and for a chatbox, you're still trying to istall a mod...........)
Слaва
Украинi

MrPhil

Ah! If a few refreshes brings up the page, try the following: go into Admin and disable hostname lookup. See if that makes a difference.

Kindred

in the case that I tried, MrPhil, refreshing did nothing but generate more errors in the error_log file. :(
Слaва
Украинi

tomato721

Damn. im screwed. how do i make a custom chatbox then :O

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: