News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum crashed

Started by Cygnus, April 22, 2013, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mashby

What is on the Web Hosting page next?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

DiverTexas

This is the web hosting screen shot.

mashby

Interesting. I don't see anything regarding FTP. Wondering if you can call GoDaddy back and ask where that option is in their hosting environment?
- James M. Barrie

DiverTexas

I found that there was a place to update for SMF.
I have submitted that request.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that will help.

mashby

I'm going to strongly suggest NOT to use that area to update SMF. SMF has a place for that in the main Admin area.

Hopefully when you get some sort of FTP/File Manager access, you'll be able to determine your database credentials. :)
- James M. Barrie

DiverTexas

Darn it, I submitted the request already.
I had been doing updates through the admin panel when we could access the site.

DiverTexas

Found this, maybe something here to work with?

mashby

That's File Manager! Sweet. OK. In the forum folder (assuming that's the place where SMF is), you can find Settings.php. Download that to your computer and use Notepad (Notepad++ is better) and look for these things:
Quote$db_user = 'USERNAMEHERE';
$db_passwd = 'PASSWORDHERE';

You'll also see this:
Quote$db_name = 'DATABASENAME';

That will let you know which database to look for after you login using phpMyAdmin.
- James M. Barrie

DiverTexas

I found the user name and the password I believe.
It does show that this is where the SMF files are.

mashby

Cool...now off to that tab labeled phpMyAdmin. Use those credentials to get in there.
This might help you in that part:
http://php.about.com/od/mysqladministration/qt/repair_mysql.htm
- James M. Barrie

DiverTexas

Sorry I'm so unfamiliar with this.
I'm not finding the phpmyadmin.
This is what I see.

mashby

Quote from: DiverTexas on April 23, 2013, 08:38:48 AM
This is the web hosting screen shot.

The last tab in your browser window here is labeled phpMyAdmin. That's the place to go next. :)
- James M. Barrie

DiverTexas

I wish I could remember how I got there.
I have about 30 browsers open now.
I will shut most of them down and try to figure out how I got there before.

DiverTexas

QuoteError
#1045 - Access denied for user XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (using password: YES)

I'm using the password and username that is in the database info code.

mashby

Man, what a bummer! Last resort is to call GoDaddy technical support and ask them to repair that database for you.
- James M. Barrie

DiverTexas

Mashby, your help is greatly appreciated.
I will follow up with Godaddy and see if we can get it up and running again.
Many thanks to all who offered suggestions too.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Krash. on April 22, 2013, 11:31:18 PM
Login -> My Account -> Web Hosting -> Launch -> Databases -> MySQL

If you've gotten this far, you click on 'phpmyadmin' and get a login screen.  You use your $db_name and $db_passwd from Settings.php to login.  If it doesn't work, there's a way to reset or change the db password, but don't remember where it is.  Should be somewhere on the GoDaddy MySQL page.  If you change the pw, you must update Settings.php to the new pw.

It gets confusing because GoDaddy databases are at a different domain (GoDaddy apparently outsources their db storage), that's why there's a separate login.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ken_GoDaddy

@DiverTexas,

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

Have you been able to repair your database and get your site back up and working?

If not I would like to assist you further and help you get your site back up and running. Please feel free to reply or send me a private message with additional details on your site.

Encabronado

The same problem with my smf forum and Godaddy shared hosting.

I copy you the sequence of my frustration with the technical support.

Me:

Hi. I have problems with my website. The database with Hostname hxxp:xxxxxxx.hostedresource.com [nonactive] is not working. I get the error:
"Table 'smf_messages' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed". I have tried to repair the table by phpMyAdmin but I get the error: "#2006 - MySQL server has gone away".
Could you help me to solve this problem?

Support Staff Response:

Thank you for contacting Online Support. To trouble shoot this further can we have screen shots of the errors you are encountering, the exact error messages being received, the call-in PIN associated with your account, and permission to change the password on the database and make modifications if needed.

Me:

My PIN is xxxx and you have permission to change the password on the database and make modifications if needed.

You can visit the domain and see the error message by yourself.

The problem is with the table smf_messages in the database hxxp:xxxxxx.hostedresource.com [nonactive]. This table is marked as crashed and I cannot repair it with phpmyadmin because I get the error "#2006 - MySQL server has gone away".

I think you can try to repair it from SSH.

Support Staff Response:

Thank you for contacting Online Support. I have reviewed your MySQL database and we have attempted a manual repair on the database, but we lost connection to the MySQL server during query. At this point, you will need to review the table and database to ensure that the size isn't too big for phpMyAdmin to repair it.

For more database information, you may visit:.......

Me:

I cannot review the database because it is in your server. You can try to repair the database from SSH very easily:

supportfacility.com/blog/mysql/how-to-repair-mysql-table-from-ssh/

Please, contact with someone who knows how. This is not the first problem with SMF Forums as you can see here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=502343.0

If you don't solve this problem I'll lose my entire forum.

Support Staff Response:

Thank you for your reply. You can download a copy of the database to view/edit locally and restore after you are finished. I have included instructions below on how to backup and restore the database for your convenience:

Backing up a MySQL or MSSQL Database

You can back up MySQL and MSSQL databases from the Database section of the Control Panel in your hosting account. etc...

Me:

I tried to restore the database but is not possible. I get only a file in the _db_backups directory with the next text:

-- MySQL dump 10.13  Distrib 5.5.19, for Linux (x86_64)
--
-- Host: xxxxxx    Database: xxxxxxx
-- ------------------------------------------------------
-- Server version   4.1.24-log

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;
/*!40103 SET @OLD_TIME_ZONE=@@TIME_ZONE */;
/*!40103 SET TIME_ZONE='+00:00' */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_SQL_MODE=@@SQL_MODE, SQL_MODE='NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO' */;
/*!40111 SET @OLD_SQL_NOTES=@@SQL_NOTES, SQL_NOTES=0 */;

Please, you could try the next (I promise, it's very easy but you need someone with root privileges on the server):

Login to your server as root.

Firstly check the status of MySQL on your dedicated server. Normally, it should be ok – as you're getting this error.

The database table can be repaired only if the Mysql server is in running status. You can check the status by the command.

root# /etc/init.d/myssql status

Now, login to the MySQL database for a required user.

mysql> mysql –u databaseusername –p database password databasename

You need to select that particular database having problem.

mysql> use databasename;

Now, you will have to check whether the table is corrupted. On giving the below command you will get a NULL value as your output if it is   corrupted otherwise it's alright.

mysql> check table tablename;

If the table is corrupted for that particular database, then you need
to repair the table by giving the following command.

mysql> repair table tablename;

This will repair the table for you.

----

So... I am here waiting the tech support to try the SSH solution (if they can find someone with root privileges).

Encabronado

Godaddy refuses to repair the database using SSH despite being the way to go.  This is the response to a VIP customer that has spent a decade with them:

In order to successfully restore your hosting account, we will need the Following information.

Please Clearly state Restore That You accept the fee of $ 150.00 (USD).

Advertisement: