News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Do you get the "white screen of death" when accessing Admin or Package Installs?

Started by Kindred, April 22, 2013, 10:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvershark78

I am using host gator. I JUST got this white screen, if it is the same one, I closed it without copying and pasting it, it has only happened since installing bad behavior. Well, that's not correct, I installed it after being hacked and then I turned it off for a while. I turned it on two days ago and I am getting a ton of logs saying it zapped spam. And then I get a white screen today. Is this issue caused by the listed problems in these posts or could it be an effect of bad behavior? Don't want to hassle my host if you think it could have been from the mod and not the memory limit. Thanks for any input
Still have lots to learn

Kindred

what did you do to trigger the "White screen"?

memory limits are probably responsible for WS on entering admin or on entering the package manager...
other locations may be due to other causes...

Look for the error.log file on your server
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Liekie

Quote from: Kindred on July 10, 2013, 03:00:35 PM
what did you do to trigger the "White screen"?

memory limits are probably responsible for WS on entering admin or on entering the package manager...
other locations may be due to other causes...

Look for the error.log file on your server
I also get this white screen when I am trying to enter the package manager. It was working properly 2 days ago. I Installed some mods and I added some posts to test.
The other day I did not login to my forum until tonight. When I opened the package manger I got the famous white screen.
I am also at hxxp:000webhost.com [nonactive].

I uploaded a hxxp:php.info [nonactive] and noticed I have memory_limit   64M :
hxxp://barf.site90.com/phpinfo.php

I checked the errorlog in de admin section of my forum and I noticed there are several errors when I installed the hxxp:prettyurls1.0.zip [nonactive] mod.

Wat can I do to uninstall this mod to see if the white screen will disappear?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Silvershark78

well. Now I kinda forget. I turned on bad behavior, it has been installed for months. I don't remember exactly when it happened. I think it happened when I clicked save to save the settings since I turned it on. sorry. wish I remembered more
Still have lots to learn

DarkT3rror

I still get white screen while going to connect to package manager...  while saving the package... and also in admin panel shows me the following error:

Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.4
Current SMF version: [object HTMLElement]

any idea to solve that problem??

Kindred

DarkT3rror

we have provided 3 possible solutions to the white screen.
The fourth is - get a better host.

as for your second issue... please don't clutter this topic with other issues...    but what you list there is not an error.
Слaва
Украинi

samrfactor

Muchas gracias funciono con mi host 000webhst gracias hermano!! yes!!

DarkAngel612

well I just got this at one of the forums I manage and the limits are set in php.ini but it still would not behave---FOR A POST not for Admin/Package manager

the error was:
[31-Jul-2013 11:39:10] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2000 bytes) in /path/tofile/public_html/pfd/Sources/Subs-Graphics.php on line 439

what I did was try everything this thread said to try and still the post would load up a white page but the link was visible in the location bar.

then I did this:
1. go to sources/Subs-Graphics.php

2. find:
// If we're using this try to get some more memory.
      @ini_set('memory_limit', '32M');

3. changed to this:
// If we're using this try to get some more memory.
      @ini_set('memory_limit', '128M');

Now the thread is visible once more. All the thread contains is text about free backgrounds, their links to go get them and an image that is attached

So I will instruct the member that does this to only  go as far as 11 items per post---just in case and so it won't happen again, I hope

anyway just wanted to let someone know about the file also and if you wish to add that into the subject line too.

Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Kindred

shall I guess that you are also hosted at 000webhost or hosting24?
Слaва
Украинi

DarkAngel612

LOL no I am not, but my host --- hostgator --- did migrate us to another server recently and all sorts of things are happening with my VPS
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

goranbeg

I have two forums on the same hosting - HAWKHOST. One forum work fine, and another have problem since yesterday - white screen. I can't log, or do anything. Just whitescreen. I try with php_value memory_limit 64M but it's not working.

Any idea? :( I contact also hosting provider, and they told me that everything is ok.

margarett

If you have a white screen when opening forum index, it's not related to this sticky.

You should open a new topic for your problem.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

goranbeg

Quote from: K@ on August 06, 2013, 08:00:46 AM
It'd be good for you to give as a URL, when you do that.

I open new topic about this problem since it's not 'admin or package' install problem. This is problem on
main page. Check this topic please.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=509060.0

Call It Done

i experienced this same white screen of death and almost got frustrated when my host told me that they could not find any error in my cpanel that it was a script problem, what i simply did was that i backed up fully, and installed smf 2.0.4 afresh and the errors where corrected automatically.

GleamPlay.com

hi, can you give me the complete code for the .htacess? thanks :)

is it:
<?php echo phpinfo(); ?>
ini_set('memory_limit','64M');
php_value memory_limit 64M

but when I upload it, my website says:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Gleam - http://gleamplay.com
The SMF to have fun, meet new friends and play games!

Chalky

Each suggestion was for a different file, not just to lump them together  ;)  Try just placing this single line in a file named .htaccess:

GleamPlay.com

I don't have a file .htaccess, so I create 1 with:

Thanks ChalkCat :)

GleamPlay.com

also, is overcopying the memory limit legal?
what will happen if the host find out?

Advertisement: