Do you get the "white screen of death" when accessing Admin or Package Installs?

Started by Kindred, April 22, 2013, 10:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox60

ps I have changed the 32 or what ever it was to 128 and it did not work also added the line in .htaccess but that stopped the forum from working all together had to remove the line that I added to get to work again.

savicmi

I think it is unrealistic to expect that the vast majority of users immediately migrate to php 5.4 or 5.5. Accordingly http://download.simplemachines.org/requirements.php, SMF supports PHP 4.1.0 or higher and recommends PHP 5.2.0 or higher and memory_limit set to at least 8M, but after a update to 2.0.7, this is no longer true even for basic features, such as the use of basic BBC tags. I also tested locally, and it is clear that 64M is not enough. So it's not just a problem of shared hosting. If memory_limit set to 128M, it will somehow work, but it isn't an ideal solution. It is better to modify the last 2.0.7 update, so that it works correctly on versions less than 5.4 or 5.5. If SMF team doesn't want to solve it, please edit Recommended System Requirements.

Arantor

Unrealistic?

A few facts about PHP: PHP 4.x was stopped being supported by PHP itself in 2007. PHP 5.2 is also unsupported by PHP itself, PHP 5.3 is only receiving security updates, 5.4 and 5.5 are declared stable, 5.6 is due in the next few months.

If a host is not running at least 5.3.28 they are insecure.

Those guidelines were written when 2.0 started development back in 2006 or so, when hosting was different.

DarkAngel612

Yes I totally agree with Arantor, I had not only this problem off/on but several other anomolies that were unexplainable and unrecreated by others. I at times would need to uninstall then reinstall all the SMF files then reapply the plugins.

I have been on with: (info is from my market version checker but same server for all our entities, running 2.0.6 SMF until update behaves then will update)
PHP Version: 5.2.17 (Zend: 2.2.0)   PHP Memory Limit: 195M
Database: MySQL 5.5.35-cll

for about two months now and things have gotten stable, we are very happy since we are not "losing posts", the "cannot connect to database" is not happening (most times it was brute force attacks that caused this cause they have nothing better to do with their time).

Your host should use the latest so the security updates are there, that is why SMF, Tiny portal and other software coders do those security updates... to keep our sites germ free as much as possible. And like always our patience is essential cause after all folks not only are they volunteers but they are only human.

It wouldn't hurt to check your servers for any files you did not upload yourself.

just my 2 cents

Have a Happy Valentine's Day all
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

rChesley

Yes, I do get SMF WSoD!

I have been using SMF for almost 10 years. I am no expert or coder -- just run forums with SMF and do what I am instructed to do.

The following info was provided from phpinfo.php

PHP Version: 5.5.9
Memory limit: 128M

Host is a paid provider (Downtownhost) and has run SMF nicely -- I've been with them a long time.

Due to advice here... I had them migrate my installs to another server to get PHP 5.5.9 instead of 5.3.27. The change of version did not seem to make any difference in the way things are "not" working.

I tried the recommendations for @ini_set('memory_limit', '128M');... did not work.

One forum was just upgraded from SMF 1.1.19 to SMF 2.0.7 using the Large Upgrade from http://download.simplemachines.org/

Another forum I run was originally setup as 2.0.x and is patched (via admin) to 2.0.7. They are both installed on the same server. The patched one will display a screen with the main package categories (New Features, Feature Enhancements, Theme...). It goes to the SMF WSoD when I attempt to open a category except the tiny ones with 9 or 11 packages (those open just fine).

If there is someone who could learn anything from my setup, wants to login or have me provide anything... please get in touch.

I'm considering going to older versions of 2.0.x until there is a fix. I could also just not use Download Packages (from package servers). I am able to locate packages, download, and then install without being coddled by seeing them inside SMF.

I am most concerned for the future of SMF when there are snarky folks that behave rudely and appear unable to work as a team. As an outsider, I am not interested except the "fighting" tells me there is a leadership or respect issue. Please fix it privately rather than in public. I'm not here to "fight", point fingers, or take sides. 

I care that someone figures out what is wrong, takes it seriously enough to fix it and figure out how to not break future installations/upgrades/patches. I upgrade because the newer versions are represented to fix security or other fault issues.

The ability to patch installations and enhance security without breaking Mods was and is still the main reason I stick with SMF as opposed to the other forum solutions that require manual patches and hacking of php to make installs. I simply cannot afford to delay security updates because there is so much work necessary to manually patch in updates or features. I've suffered hacks on those other solutions -- nothing serious has ever happened running SMF.

If the developers think there is no easy fix for this WSoD and can narrow it to the Download Packages feature that retrieves packages, I would gladly accept a fix/patch/update to eliminate the current functionality and replace it with a simple URL that opens a new browser window with the URL link to the packages so I can browse and copy a url or download a package. Then I can go back to SMF and install it.

Thank you all for your time, passion, and commitment to SMF.

Arantor

Downgrading to 2.0.6 is fine except running on PHP 5.5 will cause errors (which is what 2.0.7 was supposed to fix), nothing in 2.0.7 is for security purposes.

There is no easy fix for the WSOD nor is it able to be confined to just the Download feature.

Just a note: I'm only snarky when people repeatedly refuse to listen to what I'm saying. Having Aspergers does not help with that, either.

rChesley

Many thanks for the reply.

My comments were not directed at anyone individually. I do understand the need for people to RTFM! Many problems really are between the chair and keyboard  ;)

Okay, so I have the ability to revert backwards to 2.0.6. I will see if there are any posts on the recommended procedure for "downgrading" an SMF installation. I am getting confused with the Ugprade versus Full versus the old Update so I may be back to ask a question if I cannot find info.

One thing you mention is that I will have problems with PHP 5.5 -- I have the option to revert back to 5.4 -- is that version what is recommended. I will do what I am told.

I did not expect an overnite resolution to the issues. I do hope this can be worked out.

Thank you for your help.

Arantor

You patched via admin; this installs a mod style package, which you can just uninstall like any other mod to revert back to 2.0.6.

Yes, if you're on 2.0.6 you should be using PHP 5.4, otherwise various errors will appear in the admin panel due to a feature in PHP itself that PHP 5.5 says should not be used any more.

rChesley

Thank you. I did remove the mod on the one forum that was patched to 2.0.7 and it is now running 2.0.6.

The other forum was Large Upgraded to 2.0.7 from 1.1.19. I have not found any advice on how to move this one back to 2.0.6. Would I install the 2.0.6 Upgrade or look for something else?

Thanks for your help. It could be painful without it.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Al0p3x

Quote from: perpetummdl on June 10, 2013, 09:17:09 PM
Quote from: Kindred on May 03, 2013, 10:51:53 PM
Wow.w someone who reads the stickies!

;)

Congrats. You are the first to figure it out without a pointed link. :)
On to the issue...
Let me guess... Your host is hosting24 or 000webhost....

In which case, they declare that you have a certain amount of memory, but, as far as I can tell, you do not actually have that much. Y only suggestion, if I am correct in my assumption of your host is - get a better host.

Let's get things straight here. I've run into an issue of not being able to install a specific package (on hxxp:hosting24.com [nonactive]) via Package Manager and receiving the php error claiming that the limit of 32M is exceeded. Well, guess what, after some investigating (.htaccess and ini_set did not help) I came across these lines in the /Sources/Class-Package.php file:

// If we're using this try to get some more memory.
@ini_set('memory_limit', '32M');

Changing it to 128M fixed the issue. So, please, kindly do stop blaming the webhost for your own shortcomings and lack of knowledge of your own scripting. This is appalling. Make a master setting in the admin area or Settings.php to supersede all others, instead of re-defining the php memory limit inside your scripts. Hosting24 and 000webhost is not "choking" at 32 MB, get your facts straight. You can always use a test script to make sure that the webhost is providing the memory limit they declare with phpinfo():

<?php
// This is only an example, the numbers below will
// differ depending on your system

for ($i=1$i<100$i++) {
//echo "used memory is " . memory_get_usage() . "<br/>";
$a loadmem($i); 
//echo "used memory after allocating ".$i."m is " . memory_get_usage() . "<br/>"; // 57960
//echo "used memory after unsetting allocated memory is " . memory_get_usage() . "<br/>"; // 36744
echo "You have allocated "$i "M ("memory_get_usage() . ") memory in this php script" "<br />";
unset($a);
}

function 
loadmem($howmuchmeg) {
$a str_repeat("0"$howmuchmeg 1024 1024); // alocating 10 chars times million chars
return $a;
}

?>

If you're a hosting24 or 000webhost user, you'd see that this script returns a php "Allowed memory size of" error after the last iteration (which would be ~124MB and ~60MB respectively), which means that the limits are exactly what the hosting claims them to be. It would be kind of you to stop spreading disinformation. Thank you, I hope you escalate my findings, so that other users can swiftly resolve any php memory issues with SMF.

Hello, I would like to thank this user so much! I am on 000webhost, and this worked like a charm!

NekoJonez

Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Kindred

Dunno....   Do you get a memory error in error.log when it happens?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NekoJonez

I need to check that. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you guys up to date if I don't forget.
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

umina

My provider is Site5.  I have no issues with them on any website running anything.  When trying to view mods in the Package Manager the larger collections (Feature Enhancement 177 mods or more),  I ran into the white screen.  Since I'm running SMF on a subdomain, I decided to modify the code from 32M to 128M.  That cured the problem for Feature Enhancment but I still got the problem with New Feature, 274 mods.

I decided to try going to 256M but that still did not cure the problem.

It seems to me that a simple fix for the Package Manager would be to split the mods into smaller groups when they get really large, but I cannot understand why loading 277 lines of text could possibly take megabytes.

/Len

zerofossilfuel

No, the simple fix is to regress to 2.0.6 and hope they release 2.0.8 to fix the "undocumented features" introduced in 2.0.7!  >:(

Kindred

We have explained, several dozen times what the issue is and what happened.

As for the wsod, this thread should focus on those hosts and issues which happen, even under 2.0.6.
Слaва
Украинi

zerofossilfuel

Yes, you have explained several dozen times, and for that we thank you. But, the only people who seem to be chiming in here are those who have mistakenly updated to 2.0.7 so 2.0.6 issues are pretty much a non-issue at this point. Don't you think?

I repeat my comments simply to save users the grief of even trying to resolve their issues under 2.0.7. It's pointless.

blackdog476

I'm successfully installed the SMF forum, to the atw's hosting (atw.com) (2.0.7) I was click to "clear the install.php file". I was refreshed the page, and i got WSOD.
So what I need to do? I need to download older version?

(my english level is under 0. i'm hungarian. sorry)

kat

Might be wise, yes.

Rather than installing it, though, you might be able to just get all of the files from this:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-6_install.zip

and dearchiving it. Then, if you upload all of the files, EXCEPT install.php and Settings.php, overwriting what's there, now, that might be enough. :)

Advertisement: