I do not want to acknowledge a registration or failure to register

Started by mattjohnson, April 25, 2013, 11:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjohnson

Basically because of the huge amount of spam attacks if a user successfully registers he receives and emai saying so and that his account needs approval.

Is there no way to turn this off?

Problem is let's say you have 100 spam registrations a day, the forum is emailing hundreds of mails a week to hotmail or gmail etc addresses that are bouncing. This causes the website to get flagged and then blocked by the ISP.

I only want an email to go to registrations that are approved by the admin, no other emails should be sent.

I have just upgraded to the latest version of the forum and was hoping to see an option for this.

BTW the forum looks fantastic, far more professional than the old version.

Kindred

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Registration#Settings

Method of registration employed for new members
set that to Admin Approval
when you approve them, there will be an option to approve and send email
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mattjohnson

Thanks but I already do that.

The problem is when someone registers they receive a message like:

Your registration request at XXX FORUM has been received, Test dude.

The username you registered with was Test dude. If you forget your password, you can change it at .....

Before you can login and start using the forum, your request will be reviewed and approved.  When this happens, you will receive another email from this address.

Regards,
xxxx

It is this email that causes the bounce back and flags the ISP warnings

Cheers
Matt

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

If you uncheck "Send welcome email to new members", I assume that'd stop those.

Registration>Settings.

Bugger. Ninjad by the Kindy one! :P

Chalky

It sounds like you need to improve your spam defences so that spammers don't even get as far as registering to be sent an email.  None of my spammers do!  Make sure you have good verification questions set and consider using a mod like Bad Behavior.  With a decent first-line defence, the only emails being sent out will be to genuine users, and I'd rather work towards that than reducing emails to genuine users so that spammers can keep having them all  ;)

mattjohnson

Quote from: Kindred on April 25, 2013, 11:39:37 AM
uncheck
Send welcome email to new members

Yes, it is unchecked, I just made another dummy registration to confirm, the email is still sent. The approval email is not sent.

With this version I have added the 3 questions which I hope will prevent the spammers but I would still not like to send an email in the case that they somehow get past that. Is this a bug then?

Arantor

No, it's not a bug, it is actually how the system is designed.

Seriously, better hardening of the defences will mean the email changes will not be required. If you still have a number of people getting through after 3 questions, the questions are not what they should be.

Note that there are other anti spam defences you can add on top. Every little helps.

mattjohnson

Quote from: Arantor on April 25, 2013, 11:54:53 AM
No, it's not a bug, it is actually how the system is designed.

Seriously, better hardening of the defences will mean the email changes will not be required. If you still have a number of people getting through after 3 questions, the questions are not what they should be.

Note that there are other anti spam defences you can add on top. Every little helps.

OK then, thanks for the confirmation. So far no attacks by spammers and as I usually see 3 an hour at least that's good.

Cheers
Matt

kat

For now, I'll mark this as being solved, coz it takes it out of our "Needing attention" section. :)

If you need to discuss this further, at any time, just go and mark it "Not solved" and post away, OK?

SimpleJoe

The best way to stop spammers is to make the security questions unique to your site and change them as soon as spammers start getting through. One good security question is better than three questions that the spammers have already programmed into their bots.
Hosting Simple Machines since YaBB -- One of the first SMF Forum Hosting providers with Chat and FTP for the inner developer in us all.

Advertisement: