News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

attachment upload error and repair_settings issues

Started by Tonibee, April 30, 2013, 02:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

That said, correct ownership can have effects *beyond* read/write permissions. suExec in particular... the owner of the file is who the script will run as, so a script owned by the FTP user will execute as the FTP user, which is of course problematic if something is owned by www-data/nobody/apache...

And also, K@'s right, there are times when hosts can override whatever chmod has set.

Tonibee

Thanks all,

I'm an accomplished I.T. user but when it comes to the inner workings I'm sooo out of my depth. Maybe I should go on a course...

Ipage says it has good support, so I suppose now is the time to find out. I'll give them the link to this thread and hope they understand. I'll report back and let you know what they say.

Are there any theories why this has happend out of the blue? In the OP I mentioned that the problem first occurred (or at least I first knew about it) after the last SMF update package. Noone has fingered that as a culprit; is it worth a second thought?

I really do appreciate you folks giving me your time. Thank you.

ps. Mr Phil: I have read the instructions for the repair tool several times, but I got stuck on the uploading part (still can't do it). But in any case, the consensus seems to be that it's not relevant to my problem and I really don't want to do anything that's not actually necessary.

kat

In case you need it, later, you can upload it using FTP. Or, at a pinch, your site's CPanel has a File Manager **Shudder**.

To use some handy acronyms, if FTP makes you go "WTF?", have a look at this:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/FTP_-_How_do_I_use_FTP

Tonibee

ipage support weren't any help at all. Three times they asked me provide them with information to replicate the problem. I told them twice that I didn't know any more than posted in this thread and then I gave up...

I'm going to keep looking.

Colin

I know this may sound silly, but you might want to try calling/emailing/live-chatting once more and hope that you get someone who actually wants to help you. This stuff is a piece of cake for them to do. They just have to actually do their job.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Tonibee

I fixed it! :-)

I was rooting around in my servers CPanel and found a document location path that was similiar to the attchments directory path I posted earlier.

I made the latter match the former and that has entirely fixed the problem! I can now access and upload attachments to my forum.

Ipage should easily have seen that if they'd read this thread, surely?

I'd surmise the problem arose because ipage changed their directories at the lower levels or the forum attachment directory path was corrupted somehow when I last updated SMF.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone who posted to this thread. It has helped my understanding and given me the confidence to go change something I wouldn't normally dream of doing (I did make a detailed note so I could undo it first though). I also found out that my next task is to understand more about backups...

:)

naimnatnod

I got the exact same problem.  I also have hxxp:ipage.com [nonactive] as my web hosting.  They are not too bad if you know what you're doing.

You can find your Document Root here:

iPage -> Log In
Control Panel -> Server Information (under Additional Tools section)

You will find your Root in there.

Took me a while!

TKG26

thanks to this thread i fixed my attachment issue as well.

Having just switched over to hostgator everything transfered over well. Had to reset my theme, but today noticed i could not upload attachments. It had the old path from the old host found in:
Admin>Attachments and avatars>Attachments settings
As suggested earlier in this post...

Now if i may ask a semi related question? Again i think its relating to my resent change of host...

When i click on "update your forum" Under admin> Update available...

The url takes me here:
"http://www.rcottawa.com/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;pgdownload;auto;package=http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_patch_2.0.3.tar.gz;cfdcd556e2e=e47ed0058d6ab2e5e3ae0885b3e58707"

Wich results in a ERROR 403 - FORBIDDEN

Any ideas?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: