News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need Help With With New Forum Name

Started by Retro Lad, May 01, 2013, 05:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro Lad

I am in the middle of building my very first forum. I have settled on two names, and I would like opinions on which you guys prefer.

My niche is vintage/retro Pop Culture stuff. My personal focus is on classic toys, but, I plan to have my website and the forum be more generalized covering movies, TV Shows, etc.

The names I have in mind for the forums are Retrovana or Toyvana. My Main site will be timelaunch.com. I think that Toyvana rolls off the tongue more smoothly, but, I am worried that it implies that the forum is only about toys.

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Mick.

TheListener

Retrovana is more my preferred direction.

Remember not only does the name have to roll of the tongue BUT has to describe what ya forum is about as close as possible.

:)

kat

I think, myself, that the "vana" thing make it almost seem like a Nirvana site.

"retrogroove"? "classicstuff"? Something like that?

Retro Lad

The "vana" refers to the buddhist/transcendental definition of nirvana. IE, Bliss, Heaven. (Also, I do not own those names, lol)

Off topic: Does the crazy captchas here irritate anybody else? I always have to use the listen feature!!!

TheListener

Quote from: Retro Lad on May 01, 2013, 05:17:22 PM
Off topic: Does the crazy captchas here irritate anybody else? I always have to use the listen feature!!!

Don't worry about that. You are almost at the end of it  ;)

The hardest part is soon to come my lad so take things easy eh?

Retro Lad

Thank you all so much. I am learning so many things, so quickly. My biggest problem is that I am getting stuck on all the little things like name choices. I have found SMF to be ridiculously easy for a non-tech type like myself to set up.

I currently have the "toyvana" site set as my forum build. If I do change names, is there an easy way to back it up and just transfer it to a different domain?

Chalky

I like the "retro" too...  Retrotopia?  Retrophoria?

Retro Lad

Quote from: ChalkCat on May 01, 2013, 06:00:58 PM
I like the "retro" too...  Retrotopia?  Retrophoria?

How about Retrobuff? That was my original choice, actually. I own that one too.

Irisado

Retro works better for me too.  I quite like Chalkcat's suggestion of Retrotopia myself.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Retro Lad

Quote from: Irisado on May 02, 2013, 06:39:19 AM
Retro works better for me too.  I quite like Chalkcat's suggestion of Retrotopia myself.

I like that one too. Sadly, somebody else apparently liked the domain before we did. It's unavailable. :/

Irisado

Quote from: Retro Lad on May 02, 2013, 12:47:04 PM
I like that one too. Sadly, somebody else apparently liked the domain before we did. It's unavailable. :/

That's a shame, but the good names often tend to get pinched.

Retrocollector might be an alternative, although it does like a bit of punch.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Chalky

Ok, how about Retrosprite?  Retrotroopers?  Retrotomic?  Retrosplice?  All available :)

kat

Retroism!

Chelsea Europa cup finalists! ;)

Retrogasm!

kat

retrogasm is, too. Only hassle is that it seems to have been "Parked", by a scheming bunch of shysters.

http://retrogasm.com

Account Abandoned

kat

kat

You'll love where it comes from, then. :)

It comes from the German term "scheisser", which means, literally, "One who  defecates" (******s on people).

Advertisement: