News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Need Help With With New Forum Name

Started by Retro Lad, May 01, 2013, 05:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro Lad

I am in the middle of building my very first forum. I have settled on two names, and I would like opinions on which you guys prefer.

My niche is vintage/retro Pop Culture stuff. My personal focus is on classic toys, but, I plan to have my website and the forum be more generalized covering movies, TV Shows, etc.

The names I have in mind for the forums are Retrovana or Toyvana. My Main site will be timelaunch.com. I think that Toyvana rolls off the tongue more smoothly, but, I am worried that it implies that the forum is only about toys.

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Mick.

TheListener

Retrovana is more my preferred direction.

Remember not only does the name have to roll of the tongue BUT has to describe what ya forum is about as close as possible.

:)

kat

I think, myself, that the "vana" thing make it almost seem like a Nirvana site.

"retrogroove"? "classicstuff"? Something like that?

Retro Lad

The "vana" refers to the buddhist/transcendental definition of nirvana. IE, Bliss, Heaven. (Also, I do not own those names, lol)

Off topic: Does the crazy captchas here irritate anybody else? I always have to use the listen feature!!!

TheListener

Quote from: Retro Lad on May 01, 2013, 05:17:22 PM
Off topic: Does the crazy captchas here irritate anybody else? I always have to use the listen feature!!!

Don't worry about that. You are almost at the end of it  ;)

The hardest part is soon to come my lad so take things easy eh?

Retro Lad

Thank you all so much. I am learning so many things, so quickly. My biggest problem is that I am getting stuck on all the little things like name choices. I have found SMF to be ridiculously easy for a non-tech type like myself to set up.

I currently have the "toyvana" site set as my forum build. If I do change names, is there an easy way to back it up and just transfer it to a different domain?

Chalky

I like the "retro" too...  Retrotopia?  Retrophoria?

Retro Lad

Quote from: ChalkCat on May 01, 2013, 06:00:58 PM

How about Retrobuff? That was my original choice, actually. I own that one too.

Irisado

Retro works better for me too.  I quite like Chalkcat's suggestion of Retrotopia myself.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Retro Lad

Quote from: Irisado on May 02, 2013, 06:39:19 AM
Retro works better for me too.  I quite like Chalkcat's suggestion of Retrotopia myself.

I like that one too. Sadly, somebody else apparently liked the domain before we did. It's unavailable. :/

Irisado

Quote from: Retro Lad on May 02, 2013, 12:47:04 PM
I like that one too. Sadly, somebody else apparently liked the domain before we did. It's unavailable. :/

That's a shame, but the good names often tend to get pinched.

Retrocollector might be an alternative, although it does like a bit of punch.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Chalky

Ok, how about Retrosprite?  Retrotroopers?  Retrotomic?  Retrosplice?  All available :)

kat

Retroism!

Chelsea Europa cup finalists! ;)

Retrogasm!

kat

retrogasm is, too. Only hassle is that it seems to have been "Parked", by a scheming bunch of shysters.

http://retrogasm.com

Account Abandoned

kat

kat

You'll love where it comes from, then. :)

It comes from the German term "scheisser", which means, literally, "One who  defecates" (******s on people).

Account Abandoned

Haha, yes. My Grandma is from East Germany, when she gets mad, she uses it quite often >_< Gets me going all the time.

In fact she will start speaking in complete German while looking at me, knowing that I have no clue what she is saying...

kat

You could get some good stories about similar things from Runic, you know. His granny was German, too.

Retro Lad

You guys came up with some great ones. I love retrogasm, lol. I went with Retro Buffs. I took it out of maintenance mode just a bit ago if you want to check it out: www.retrobuffs.com . I'd love your suggestions. Just go easy. It's my first ever, lol.

kat

You've even got the theme looking quite retro!

Good stuff! Let's hope it's a success. :)

Chalky

It does look good indeed!  Good luck with it :)

Retro Lad

Thank you for the kind words! I tried to make it look as retro as possible. So, I've built it. Now I just hope they'll come, lol

dimspace

Quote from: ChalkCat on May 01, 2013, 06:00:58 PM

Retro works for me, and I really like Retrophoria..

or how about Retroforia :D

but retrobuffs works well..

dimspace

And looks good by the way..

Only small complaint, for a retro site whos users may well be of a certain age (like myself), gawd that fonts small.. :D I had to zoom in to 160% to read it..

Retro Lad

Quote from: dimspace on May 05, 2013, 01:17:32 PM
And looks good by the way..

Only small complaint, for a retro site whos users may well be of a certain age (like myself), gawd that fonts small.. :D I had to zoom in to 160% to read it..

I was actually thinking the same thing. Is there a way to change this in the admin panel or do I have to change code?

mashby

BEFORE:
/* Set a fontsize that will look the same in all browsers. */
body
{
background: #d1d1d1 url(../images/_Stone/theme/backdrop.png) repeat;
font: 70%/130% "Georgia", "Verdana", "Arial", "Helvetica", sans-serif;
margin: 0 auto;
padding: 15px 5%;
}

AFTER:
/* Set a fontsize that will look the same in all browsers. */
body
{
background: #d1d1d1 url(../images/_Stone/theme/backdrop.png) repeat;
font: 78%/130% "Georgia", "Verdana", "Arial", "Helvetica", sans-serif;
margin: 0 auto;
padding: 15px 5%;
}
Makes it more readable/bigger. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Retro Lad

Thank you Mashby! I  increased it to 80% from 70%.

Does that look better Dimspace?

dimspace

yeh, thats better, i dont have to zoom anymore :D

Irisado

Looks like a promising forum.  I may well sign up :).

I'm not quite sure about brown as a colour, but it's not off putting either.  Otherwise, it looks great though.  A sensible layout, and you haven't gone overboard with boards, which is good.

I also like the final choice of name.

Just one thing.  It's 80s without an apostrophe.  If you're going to be talking about years gone by, I think that it's important not to make that little mistake as the site admin ;).

Retro Lad

Quote from: Irisado on May 07, 2013, 12:01:22 PM
Looks like a promising forum.  I may well sign up :).

I'm not quite sure about brown as a colour, but it's not off putting either.  Otherwise, it looks great though.  A sensible layout, and you haven't gone overboard with boards, which is good.

I also like the final choice of name.

Just one thing.  It's 80s without an apostrophe.  If you're going to be talking about years gone by, I think that it's important not to make that little mistake as the site admin ;).

Thank you for you for the compliments! I looked around forever to try and find the most retro-looking skin that I could, and this was it. I would honestly like the text area to be more of a tan, than the brown, but until I have time to learn to customize it myself, it'll have to to do.

I didn't realize I made the apostrophe errors, lol. I'll change them now. Thank you for joining. :) I will try and make it as exciting and active as possible.

Advertisement: