News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Spoiler tags

Started by NekoJonez, May 03, 2013, 06:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekoJonez

It has probably been suggested a million times over before but I haven't come accros any forum without a mod for a spoiler installed.

These are very handy to hide big images under. But I think you can easily think up many more advantages yourself.

So my request for SMF 2.1 is spoiler tags.
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

kat

Matthew 7:7.

"Seek and ye shall find."

;)

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=spoiler

Can't see that becoming a default feature, though.

emanuele

Well, TBH I'm not yet sure *why* it couldn't become a feature, I heard many people say that, though I'm still unsure where the issue is.
For sure it would be much more helpful than about two third of the bbcodes available now in SMF...

Quick question, how many people use any of the following bbcodes?
Abbr
Acronym
Anchor
Bdo
Black
Blue
Br
Email
Flash
Ftp
Glow (okay, someone uses that one... :P)
Hr
Iurl (I think I'm one of the few)
Left
Ltr
Php
Pre
Right
Rtl
Shadow
Time
Tt
And the bbc color like black, blue, red, white, green

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

ltr and rtl get more use on RTL forums.

black, blue, green, red etc. are not strictly bbc tags, since the preparser is supposed to rewrite those into color bbcode.

Shadow and glow I'm not even sure work properly.

The rest... it's an interesting argument to make because for every x users that don't, there is a smaller contingent of y users who do.

kat

I can honestly say that I've never used any of those. I doubt I'd use the spoiler one, either.

Hide, yes. ;)

Arantor

Quote from: K@ on May 03, 2013, 11:50:42 AM
I can honestly say that I've never used any of those. I doubt I'd use the spoiler one, either.

Hide, yes. ;)

Why would you use the hide tag? The number of issues that causes is surprisingly high.

kat

Never had any hassles, with that. I've only ever used in on SMF v1, though.

emanuele

Quote from: Arantor on May 03, 2013, 11:45:26 AM
black, blue, green, red etc. are not strictly bbc tags, since the preparser is supposed to rewrite those into color bbcode.
I know, that's why I put them at the end "outside" the list... :P

Shadow and glow I'm not even sure work properly.
* emanuele is innocent! O:)

The rest... it's an interesting argument to make because for every x users that don't, there is a smaller contingent of y users who do.
That's true, I even realised just now I put hr in the list even though I use it from time to time...
But, really:
* abbr and acronym are basically the same (yeah, I know there was a difference in semantics, though acronym is not supported by HTML5, so it should be changed to use abbr anyway)
* pre seems basically a code without much formatting
* br ... I wonder how it could be useful ???

That said, of course it is difficult to remove any, because it would break previous messages.

And now that I think about it, all these tags should be tested with the new editor, I feel some may fail... (br for sure because I guess it will be converted in \n unless it is not converted at all in the html equivalent)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

There are some important semantic differences between pre and code - yes you don't get the code formatting, but also you don't get some subtle changes in the content happening. The code tag splits up the content and manipulates it, while the pre tag doesn't.

I'm not sure what the point of the br tag is but there must be one.

Kindred

actually, having used this in several discussions on a few sites, I actually do find it useful.

as noted, there are many BBC that people don't even know about let alone use...   this one actually has the potential for use in forums across several different areas of interest.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NekoJonez

Yeah, gaming forums use it a lot to hide spoiler of the story of the game.

Or in roleplays to make the post not long as sh*t.
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Arantor

* Arantor is totally in favour of a spoiler tag.

dimspace

Quote from: emanuele on May 03, 2013, 11:42:59 AM
Well, TBH I'm not yet sure *why* it couldn't become a feature, I heard many people say that, though I'm still unsure where the issue is.
For sure it would be much more helpful than about two third of the bbcodes available now in SMF...

Quick question, how many people use any of the following bbcodes?
Abbr
Acronym
Anchor
Bdo
Black
Blue
Br
Email
Flash
Ftp
Glow (okay, someone uses that one... :P)
Hr
Iurl (I think I'm one of the few)
Left
Ltr
Php
Pre
Right
Rtl
Shadow
Time
Tt
And the bbc color like black, blue, red, white, green

Abbr
Acronym
Anchor
Bdo
Email
Flash
Ftp
Glow
Php
Pre
Shadow
Time
Tt < What is teletype anyway...

They can all go... :D

Spoiler tag could be included, but equally, its a perfectly common mod.. But i would say its probably one of the most downloaded or used mods and being part of the core wouldnt be a bad idea

edit: even after using it im still not entirely sure what teletype is

Arantor

For your forum, yes, they could probably go, but they all have uses in their own way.

abbr/acronym are most useful on technical forums.

anchor is very useful on a site where you have a big post with links to other things on the page (and without iurl tags it doesn't really seem worth it anyway)

bdo is like ltr/rtl, only really useful on multi-language where RTL is more common.

email is actually used in the core for other things (like when people type a bare email address, it's silently converted to the email bbc for formatting and parsing purposes)

Flash has a place if you want to share something, it's possible to post YT videos with it for example but it's very limited.

FTP is mostly obsolete now, that can go.

glow doesn't work properly on all modern browsers, so it can go too.

php is a tag that seems conflicted, it shares common code with the code bbc, though so getting rid of it is not as easy as it sounds.

pre is for text like code that shouldn't be normally spaced, but isn't strictly code.

shadow doesn't work properly on modern browsers either and should be updated or removed.

time... I've never seen the use of time.

tt is like an inline code tag. You can use it to indicate something that is not more relevant or emphasised compared to the current line of text (which is what b and i do, they have impacts beyond pure presentation) and indicating a separate level of emphasis, especially for code functions.

FWIW, we added spoiler as a default in Wedge, even though it's actually not that commonly used at all. I can think of several bbc that are more often used than that, but that's another story.

dimspace

and therein lies the overall problem, if anything were to go, a mod has to be written to cover the eventuality of people who want it..

on a side note, because i dont know where ive put my phone, how do spoilers work on mobile devices with no mouseover, do they show on click.. ive never tried.

Arantor

Quoteand therein lies the overall problem, if anything were to go, a mod has to be written to cover the eventuality of people who want it..

That's not a big problem.

Quoteon a side note, because i dont know where ive put my phone, how do spoilers work on mobile devices with no mouseover, do they show on click.. ive never tried.

Depends on the mod itself. Some you have to press a button to show the content (which works exactly as you'd expect on mobile), some you have to select the text (which may or may not work well on mobile)

Antechinus

BTW, if anyone does want them it's easy to rewrite glow and shadow so that they use modern CSS3. You can even use those bbc tags to assign a class, and then style that separately for each theme in the theme's CSS.

TheListener

Quote from: Antechinus on May 05, 2013, 09:42:32 PM
BTW, if anyone does want them it's easy to rewrite glow and shadow so that they use modern CSS3. You can even use those bbc tags to assign a class, and then style that separately for each theme in the theme's CSS.

Pardon?

???

Arantor

Since the tags are somewhat customisable at the user side, there's a limit to what you can do in the per-theme CSS for those tags.

It's sort of like setting styling for the color bbc, sure you can (and .bbc_color exists for that reason) but I'm not sure what you'd actually do with it except override a user's choice for some reason (in which case you'd disable the tag anyway, surely?)

Antechinus

Well what I was thinking was that you'd have a default styling for each theme, so that if some nutter wants the effects they can have them, but they can't choose eye-burning or illegible choices that will bugger the experience for other users. I actually disabled the standard BBC coloured text options completely, just because of this problem. People were doing daft things that effectively forced you to highlight the text to get something you could stand to look at.

tl:dr; version - some lunatics shouldn't be allowed to play with pretty colours. :D

Advertisement: