News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Having problems

Started by Buff3r, May 04, 2013, 09:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buff3r

Hi all i seem to be having problems installing mods for SMF, soon as i click install mod on SMF it hangs then says server was reset (tho it wont) i can install themes fine just not mods, i have a temp folder in the packages ive tried 777 and 755 but still no joy i am on my own vps.

Storman™

How much memory does this vps have ?

Buff3r

2GB with 2GBvswap, vps is only using 300-400MB of ram.

Storman™

Memory ok then.

Are you sure the folder/files have the correct chown ownership ?

Buff3r

As far as i know, they are, as i checked the chown permissions before installing

kat

Shot in the dark...

Does your system have "mod_security" on it?

Buff3r

As far as i can tell its not

kat

OK, let's get a few more details.

Just saying that you can't install mods doesn't give us a lot to go on. ;)

What happens, when you try to install mods, exactly?

Do you get error-messages?

Anything in the error logs? (Forum or server)

Buff3r

It dont say nothing it just hangs on when i click, "install mod" then it just sits there saying waiting for http://www blah blah, then says connection reset, all i see in smf error log is 8: fwrite(): send of 75 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe

kat

Right. That's screaming "Memory".

Although you have shedloads, is it being limited by your php.ini file?

ini_set("memory_limit","32M");

You can try raising the 32M to 64M, 128M, or whatever.

.htaccess, in the root, can have something like:

php_value memory_limit 32M

Again, if you have that, try raising the 32M setting.

Buff3r

memory limit is on 128M and changed it to 256M, but it still hanging when i click on install mod, i also reloaded httpd

kat

Nothing in the logs I mentioned?

Buff3r

all i see is

2: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given#

2: fopen(/home/rpesc/domains/rpesc.co.uk/public_html/Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied

Buff3r

Im not using wamp im using centos, and directadmin

kat

You mean that all those posts, shown on that second link, are irrelevant?

Buff3r

The 2nd link still dont solves anything

Buff3r

ok now im getting the error

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Buff3r

or not its gone back to the same errors again.

kat

Perhaps you ought to check your MySQL "wait_timeout" and "connect_timeout settings". These values are displayed in seconds, and are usually set to 28800 by default. They can be changed in your mysql.ini or my.cnf file (depending on the server's operating system).

You'll need to restart MySQL.

This is screaming "Permissions", to me, though.

Have to tried going to Admin>Packages>File permissions and setting that to "Standard"?

Buff3r

Just a question do you know where i can find them files as ive looked on my vps and i cant seem to find them? ive looked in my sql configs etc and cant see them

Kindred

you should probably check with your host...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Buff3r

I doubt they can help as its not hardware related..

Kindred

your host should be helping you with things other than just hardware.

Server side settings, like permissions and owners is a HOST thing to answer.
If you are running an an unmanaged or personal server, then what the heck are you doing trying to run a server without understanding basic stuff like permissions?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Buff3r

I've never had problems before until now..

Kindred

and... if you have not had problems before now...    and YOU did not change anything recently (no new mods installed, right?)
then obviously, your HOST changed something and neglected to tell you.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: