News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Template parse error

Started by Itchigotim, May 09, 2013, 03:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchigotim

This just started appearing on my site. Not sure why. No recent changes I'm aware of to the site. We also get it with the default template. Does anyone have any ideas? (By the way, I'm a little green when it comes to php, so please keep it simple).
Roguepinball: ¡¡ɟooɹ ǝɥʇ uo ǝʇıs ןןɐquıd ʇsǝq ǝɥʇ

Colin

Howdy,

That is pretty frustrating, isn't it :). Did you happen to install any mods? What theme are you using?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Shambles

Strange that nothing has changed as far as you're aware. I'm guessing that something has indeed changed, as borne out by that error message.

Can you attach a copy of Profile.template.php to your next post here?

Itchigotim

I'm a little green here, how do I do that? I'm guessing notepad isn't what you're looking for.

I haven't added any recent packages, say in the last month. It's possible this has been going on for a while, but I only noticed this error in the last week or two, when I click on a member's profile. My other admin (more learned than me in this area) hasn't done anything either, but he said he's noticed some weird going's on in the admin area (not specific as to what it is).

kat

Download the file (Profile.template.php). Then, attach it to your next post. :)

Itchigotim

Do you mean the my sql backup? That's all I can find.

Kindred

egads...

attachment removed.
No... not the SQL.

from your SITE control panel (not smf...) you should have a file manager - or you can use FTP.
you can then get the file K@ mentions
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Itchigotim

Sorry, some things I'm ok at, this is not one... It took some looking in ftp, but I think I have it.

Kindred

the egads was not a comment on you, but rather on including the SQL which contains the personal information on all your users, yoru site and everything to do with your forum... :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Can you look at the ol' error-logs, Itchi, to see if there's anything relevant, there?

Shambles

I checked the file and also pushed it through two online syntax-checkers, without issue.

I get a slightly different templating error when I visit a profile on your forum, suggesting a probable cache corruption?

Might be worth clearing your forum cache files.

Itchigotim

It's ok, it's not the first time I've heard it. ;D But I was wondering if it did have such info in it. Thank you! Now I know. You have to understand, I'm completely self taught. I taught myself windows  a little less than 5 years ago, I didn't even know how to type.  I've designed a dozen games or so, and am teaching myself html, and css by looking at existing codes and following the patterns. Most of you remember the old computers, I don't know a time before xp. ;)

Itchigotim

What am I looking for in there? Right now what I can see is the errors started about 4-9-13. Critical errors, I take it?

Kindred

no worries...    I'm a grumpy bugger, but I do appreciate people who are willing to try, willing the learn and, most importantly, willing to listen when folks with knowledge in a specific area speak up.

You remind me of the way that I learned Pascal and C.
(got myself a BBS package back in the 80s and worked through 50,000 lines of spaghetti code)

Now.. back to your problem.  Would you be willing to give one of the support folks here admin access to your site?
Слaва
Украинi

Itchigotim

I could do that. What do I need to backup first? The mysql, or more? Oh, and I do believe the cache was already cleared by my other admin.

Kindred

always take two backups.
1- the database (and you should use your site control panel or phpmyadmin to do this - the backup in SMF has issues with some servers and may fail, especially as the forum gets bigger)

2- the files (either by taking a download via ftp of all files and subdirectories in the forum directory or by using the backup function in your site's control panel)
Слaва
Украинi

Itchigotim

Doing it now. The database file I'm guessing is the my sql I got earlier. For the ftp, I just highlighted everything and dragged it into a folder to copy it as is.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MrPhil

Quote from: Itchigotim on May 09, 2013, 12:10:15 PM
The database file I'm guessing is the my sql I got earlier.
You mean ".sql" file? That would be the correct one, provided it includes the IF-EXIST-DROP-TABLE and CREATE-TABLE commands for each table. That's a "backup" file that includes information to create the tables anew. You make it in phpMyAdmin via "Export", or maybe some equivalent in your hosting control panel. You don't want to back up the raw MySQL data files (*.myd, *.myi, etc.), as you won't be able to restore them onto another system.

Quote from: Itchigotim on May 09, 2013, 11:43:03 AM
Most of you remember the old computers, I don't know a time before xp. ;)
Old Geezer Alert! I started on a timeshared PDP-8 ("8K BASIC") on a TeleType with blazing 134 baud dialup. My first college course in programming was on an IBM 360 with FORTRAN IV on punch cards. Scared you enough yet?

kat

Advertisement: