2.0 to 2.0.4

Started by NeedIt, May 09, 2013, 02:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeedIt

I'm a newbie at this and have a basic question about upgrades.  I am currently sitting at 2.0 and need to go to 2.0.4 assuming it will work with the ad mod.

To do this, I have to go from 2.0 to 2.0.1 and then upgrade to 2.0.2 and then 2.0.3 and so on as multistep process, right?

In other words, there is no way to go from 2.0 to 2.0.4 directly, right?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something...

Chalky

Right :)  You need to do it in order one step at a time.  Don't forget to backup before you start  ;)

NeedIt

Quote from: ChalkCat on May 09, 2013, 02:05:04 PM
Right :)  You need to do it in order one step at a time.  Don't forget to backup before you start  ;)

What about this?  I found this:

Can I use the middle option on this page?

http://download.simplemachines.org/

In other words, if I use the "Large Upgrade" option, it will take me from 2.0 to 2.0.4, right? Or am I misinterpreting?

YogiBear

You can do that but Chalky's method is the easiest. I know someone who tried to go directly from 1.1.11 to 1.1.18 ended up with a MySQL database error which put her forum off-line so she had to rely on a backup.

If it were me I'd go incrementally 2.0 > 2.0.1 > etc...
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Arantor

If you go directly from 2.0 to 2.0.4 with the Large Upgrade, you will have to reinstall any other mods you have. Not recommended for minor upgrades like yours.

Chalky

The large upgrade package is designed for those upgrading from the 1.x branch.  If you use that, you will lose all your mods and customisations, and be left with a clean vanilla install of SMF 2.0.4.  If you're only going from 2.0 that's completely unnecessary because each upgrade after that is just a security patch and will not affect your mods if done as intended 2.0 > 2.0.1, 2.0.1 > 2.0.2 >..... until you get to 2.0.4.  It doesn't take long really, each upgrade patch only took a minute to install on my forum, as each one is just like installing a mod and is installed through Package Manager the same way.

Just take a full backup, a deep breath and install the incremental patches :)

NeedIt

Thx guys.

One last q:  the Ad Mod works with 2.0.4, right?

Chalky

If it's already working on 2.0 there's no reason why it shouldn't  ;)

NeedIt

Quote from: ChalkCat on May 09, 2013, 02:29:56 PM
If it's already working on 2.0 there's no reason why it shouldn't  ;)

Okay.  I will have faith.

NeedIt

Okay, I just clicked on the 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 download link and it brought up some script modifications:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/index.php?action=upgrade;file=smf_patch_2.0.2.tar.gz;smf_version=2.0.1

So I am supposed to just do these manually, i.e. I do not use a formal install process, right?

Chalky

No, not like that  :)  Click on the download button next to it instead.  Save it your your computer, then go into your package manager and in download packages, upload from your computer and install like a mod ;)

NeedIt

Quote from: ChalkCat on May 09, 2013, 03:03:27 PM
No, not like that  :)  Click on the download button next to it instead.  Save it your your computer, then go into your package manager and in download packages, upload from your computer and install like a mod ;)

Okay, I downloaded it and it created this file on my laptop:

smf_patch_2.0.2.tar.gz

Then I went to BrowsePackage/Download Packages/File/I browse to file location/Upload and I got this error msg:

"Package upload failed due to the following error:
"The package you are trying to install cannot be located. You may want to manually upload the package to your Packages directory.""

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  I can leave it tarred and gzipped, right?

Also, can I just ftp manually the above  file into ./Packages per the above right?

NeedIt

Nevermind.  I pushed that into Packages and now it's showing up in Pkg Mgr.

So now I clicked Install Mod and I got the following error:

"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Do I need to change the file attributes through Package Manager File Permssions or should I do it through FileZilla?

NeedIt

To make a long story short, I downloaded the 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 package and it is a tar.gz file, specifically smf_patch_2.0.2.tar.gz.  I ftp'd that up into the packages directory and it does indeed now show up in Package Manager.

However, my site is on a Windows server, so it does not like a tarred and gzipped file and throws up when I click Install Mod.  When I click Install Mod and I get the following error:

"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

There must be some way around this?  Can I extract the files out of the tar.gz file and then upload them somehow individually or something?

Any help is much appreciated.

Arantor

There is a way around it - it's telling you the problem: it doesn't have proper permissions to write to everywhere it needs...

Colin

I am not convinced that it has to do with the compression. You can always unarchive it and then archive it into a ZIP if you want to give that a try. Have you checked the file permissions though?

**Ninja'd by Arantor.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NeedIt

Quote from: Colin on May 09, 2013, 04:06:19 PM
I am not convinced that it has to do with the compression. You can always unarchive it and then archive it into a ZIP if you want to give that a try. Have you checked the file permissions though?

**Ninja'd by Arantor.

Okay, but I'm asking a more basic question I think:

What can the installer handle?  It can handle a zip file on a windows system, right? 

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 09, 2013, 04:04:34 PM
There is a way around it - it's telling you the problem: it doesn't have proper permissions to write to everywhere it needs...

Okay, I think you're saying that the file needs to have FULL CONTROL, right?

But I have a more basic question:  Windows can't handle tar or gzip, right?  So even in the Installer likes those, it's not going to work on a Win server, correct?

Arantor

Where do you get this idea that Windows can't handle tar or gzip?

SMF doesn't use the raw operating system handling (because that would be different from system to system)... it does it itself.

Not to mention that PHP has a library for gzip support ;)

You have to give Full Control to the Packages folder and EVERY FOLDER AND FILE in the rest of SMF since that's how the package manager works, it applies find/replace operations on PHP files

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 09, 2013, 04:19:43 PM
Where do you get this idea that Windows can't handle tar or gzip?

SMF doesn't use the raw operating system handling (because that would be different from system to system)... it does it itself.

Not to mention that PHP has a library for gzip support ;)

You have to give Full Control to the Packages folder and EVERY FOLDER AND FILE in the rest of SMF since that's how the package manager works, it applies find/replace operations on PHP files

Noted.  I will call them back.

Advertisement: