News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2.0 to 2.0.4

Started by NeedIt, May 09, 2013, 02:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheListener

Quote from: NeedIt on May 10, 2013, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: Kindred on May 10, 2013, 02:46:24 PM
merged topics - please don't open a new topic if you already have asked the question in another topic.

Fossil...  nope.   I suspect that the 2.0.2 patch did not get fully applied. The note that the forum copyright still red 2.0.1 suggests that. --- and that is why the system is not added an install link next to the 2.0.3 patch ---   because the system still thinks that it is running 2.0.1

K.  Sorry.  I didn't know if you allowed bumps?

Only after a 24 hour period.

Arantor

Sounds to me like you didn't give permissions to Sources and Themes and *every* file inside all those folders.

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 10, 2013, 02:53:43 PM
Sounds to me like you didn't give permissions to Sources and Themes and *every* file inside all those folders.

No I know how to do that now and the install was succesful last night.  I'm pumped.  But for some reason the Install Now is not showing up beside the next mod in the Package Manager.

It looks like I can use the emulator but I don't know what to put in the text box. I guess I'd put 2.0.2, right?  I mean since I successfully installed 2.0.2 and I want to do the upgrade to 2.0.3?

Arantor

If you installed 2.0.2 but the footer still says 2.0.1 it WAS NOT successful since at least one file was NOT changed.

Verify every edit made by the 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2 upgrade before proceeding.

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 10, 2013, 03:06:20 PM
If you installed 2.0.2 but the footer still says 2.0.1 it WAS NOT successful since at least one file was NOT changed.

Verify every edit made by the 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2 upgrade before proceeding.

Okay.  Will do.  And one question.  If it did not modify everything, which it sounds like it did not, then can I just rerun this upgrade? 

Arantor

That depends. If *some* things are done but not everything, you'll have to fix the missing bits manually. (Or at least you'll be best doing it that way)

But if nothing has been changed, you could theoretically 'uninstall' the 2.0.2 patch mod, ignore all the failed edits, then reinstall.

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 10, 2013, 03:16:01 PM
That depends. If *some* things are done but not everything, you'll have to fix the missing bits manually. (Or at least you'll be best doing it that way)

But if nothing has been changed, you could theoretically 'uninstall' the 2.0.2 patch mod, ignore all the failed edits, then reinstall.

Thx for all the help.  I edited all of those files and now the "Install Now" shows up for the next Update.  I think I know what I did wrong last time and will try it again.

NeedIt

I tried to upgrade from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3.  I got the following error message:

"At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF."

Below is where the reported error is.  I have the same permissions, which I set through Plesk File Manager, on index.php as I did on everything else, so I don't know why it is balking.  Any idea what might cause this?

Also, why does it show one replace works and one doesn't?  This isn't because of traffic on the forum itself, right?

Error in Package Installation

Type   Action   Description
   1.   Execute Modification   ./index.php   Test failed
   1.   Replace   ./index.php   Test failed
   2.   Replace   ./index.php   Test successful
   2.   Execute Modification   ./SSI.php   Test successful
   3.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Modlog.php   Test successful
   4.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Security.php   Test successful
   5.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Subscriptions-PayPal.php   Test successful
   6.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/ManagePaid.php   Test successful
   7.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/QueryString.php   Test successful
   8.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Load.php   Test successful

Arantor

Well, that's saying that the first edit it's trying to do is failing. Specifically, that is the following:

index.php
Code (find) Select
* @copyright 2011 Simple Machines
* @license http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/license.php BSD
* @version 2.0.2

Code (replace) Select
* @version 2.0.3

That suggests that the 2.0.2 upgrade did not complete fully as before because it's expecting to find the @version 2.0.2 header but that it isn't.

This test doesn't care about permissions, it simply attempts to check that for every find/replace it wants to do, it can actually find it.

NeedIt

Great info.  Thx.

As you may or may not remember, I manually edited these when I did the upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2.  Here is what is in my index.php:

/**
* Simple Machines Forum (SMF)
* @package SMF
* @version 2.0.2
*/

Now that looks correct to me, except of course for the spacing on the very left of each line.  Does that have to be perfect as well?

Arantor

Yes, that has to be perfect as well. It's one space then the asterisk.

The only reason the first line of the quoted code is off is because that's what the package looks for. The file, ultimately looks like:

<?php

/**
 * Simple Machines Forum (SMF)
 * @package SMF
 * @author Simple Machines http://www.simplemachines.org
 * @copyright 2011 Simple Machines
 * @license http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/license.php BSD
 * @version 2.0.2
 */

NeedIt

Thx.  Okay, I notice that the Install Now is still next to that mod.  So basically I can fix that and then rerun the Install Now and it should work, right?

Arantor

In theory, yes. The install now simply means that the mod has instructions for the current version of SMF that you have installed ;)

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 12, 2013, 08:25:50 PM
In theory, yes. The install now simply means that the mod has instructions for the current version of SMF that you have installed ;)

Noted.  Will try it again soon.

NeedIt

Okay, I was able to run successfully I'm pretty sure the upgrades to 2.0.3 and 2.0.4.  But I have a question:

Let's say you were going to do a more involved mod like the Ad Mod.  And let's say it has 30 pages to change - I haven't looked but I assume it's very large.  Can you end up, if the install fails in the middle, with 20+ changes to change manually?  And can you end up with your forum in a non-functional state?

Arantor

QuoteAnd can you end up with your forum in a non-functional state?

Yes, you can, but read on first.

QuoteCan you end up, if the install fails in the middle, with 20+ changes to change manually?

The install won't 'fail in the middle'. The tests are all done before any changes are applied. So if any fail, nothing will be changed.

Now, if you proceed with 'test failed' entries, all that it means is that all the successful operations will actually be applied, but the ones with 'test failed' will (obviously) not have been applied. So yes, you can at that point end up with a non functional state.

But you can then proceed to perform the outstanding edits manually.

It is possible, too, that some even 'successful' mods can leave you with a non functional forum because of the fragile nature of 'find/replace' operations, e.g. when operating on what appear to be code that can appear multiple times.

Advertisement: