can't delete a group of users

Started by Segnali, May 12, 2013, 10:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segnali

all other groups have the button "delete" except one  :(

Arantor

You can't delete the Admin group (obviously), the Moderator group (because it's not a real group) or the 0-post count post group (because VERY BAD things happen if you do)

What group are you trying to remove?

YogiBear

Also, recommend you upgrade  2.0.2 > 2.0.3 > 2.0.4
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Segnali

Quote from: Arantor on May 12, 2013, 10:39:04 AM
You can't delete the Admin group (obviously), the Moderator group (because it's not a real group) or the 0-post count post group (because VERY BAD things happen if you do)

What group are you trying to remove?

the 0-post count post group   :-[

The reason behind is that I am trying to obtain this effect: each new registered user's first post must be approved before being visible.

Thanks

Segnali

Quote from: YogiBear on May 12, 2013, 10:48:43 AM
Also, recommend you upgrade  2.0.2 > 2.0.3 > 2.0.4

I can't.

My webmaster edited the code in a way that users can't contact each other privately...mine is a paid financial site so I required each user unable to send private messages to other members but it wasn't an option so he played with the code and told me not to upgrade or edits will be lost and now he left me.

Arantor

Sounds like your webmaster is a touch shady. I do not know any competent administrator that would tell you to actively leave your site insecure, which is what he's telling you.

Firstly, disabling PMs can be done without a single code edit (just configuration of permissions which suggests he is not competent enough in SMF to know how to do it), and secondly, the upgrades can be done without editing any code other than the bits that are changed - you can install the upgrades from the package manager.

YogiBear

To set up post counted groups...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Post-Count_based_membergroup

...the thing to remember is any regular group permissions will always over-ride post-count group permissions.

To approve a post before it appearing on your forum  Admin > Configuration > Core features > Post moderation.

Arantor

Also note that you MUST NOT delete the 0-post count group because if you do, any new member will be instantly promoted to admin with FULL ADMIN POWERS.

Anyway, guide to setting up post moderation.

QuoteLet me explain the problem of doing this on a fresh SMF install, and you're welcome to join in at home. Today's challenge: configure it so that regular users don't have moderation but new users with up to and including 5 posts are moderated.

There are, in fact, two ways to do this, both of which are convoluted.

1. Turn on post moderation in Core Features.
2. Making sure that the 0-post count group is left alone, create a new post count group that requires 5 posts, so that once a user has successfully posted 5 posts (and until they're approved, it won't affect their post count), they can have different permissions attached.
3. Admin > Members > Permissions > Settings > Enable permissions for post count based groups (tick) > save

Here's where the paths diverge. Here's path A:
A4: On the same page as above (Admin > Members > Permissions > Settings) also enable Enable the option to deny permissions
A5: Go to Admin > Members > Permissions > Board Permissions and for each profile (that allows posting) set the permissions up as follows: Regular members should have "Post new topics, without requiring approval" and "Post replies to topics, without requiring approval" enabled, while the 0-post count group should have those permissions *denied* and "Post new topics, but hide until approved" and "Post replies to topics, but hide until approved" in their place. Once the user leaves the 0-post count group for the 5-post count group, the other permissions are no longer denied.[3]

Or, path B. It doesn't require deny permissions but it does things another way.
B4: Go to Admin > Members > Permissions > Board Permissions. For Regular Members, set all the posting permissions to disallow. Then in the 0-post count group, give them "Post new topics, but hide until approved" and "Post replies to topics, but hide until approved" and for every other post count group, give them "Post new topics, without requiring approval" and "Post replies to topics, without requiring approval".[4]

Either way, banal and frustrating (and in fact, you still have to do the same thing using the other interface but it's actually slightly *more* confusing, not less there).

3.    But now we have an extra membergroup that does absolutely nothing other than allow another group's permissions to expire.
4.    This means you still have the extra group, but at least the extra group is now doing something. This is also very fractionally faster, but harder to maintain as you have to set the new permission up on any new post count group you create.

Segnali

Quote from: Arantor on May 12, 2013, 11:08:39 AM
Sounds like your webmaster is a touch shady. I do not know any competent administrator that would tell you to actively leave your site insecure, which is what he's telling you.

Firstly, disabling PMs can be done without a single code edit (just configuration of permissions which suggests he is not competent enough in SMF to know how to do it), and secondly, the upgrades can be done without editing any code other than the bits that are changed - you can install the upgrades from the package manager.

oh...well sorry I forgot since it was last year: the original issue was actually not the PMs but the emails.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that you can't stop people by sending each other emails so he actually removed the envelope image so no one could figure out how to contact other members, which is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

I did ask in the Italian subforum here if such option was possible and a year ago they told me it was not.

YogiBear

Quote from: Segnali di Trading .it on May 12, 2013, 03:12:22 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that you can't stop people by sending each other emails so he actually removed the envelope image so no one could figure out how to contact other members, which is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

All he had to do was to instruct members...

Profile > Account settings > make sure the Email field is unticked.

Advertisement: