Redirect after created new topic and post

Started by Hampe, May 19, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hampe

Hi!

After I have created a new topic or a post, the website redirect me to the list of topics and not to the topic I have made a post in.

Is it a setting or something wrong with my forum?

Colin

Welcome to SMF.

Click attachments and other options - see return to this topic. You should be able to check that and it will redirect you to the current topic.

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Arantor

Or you could go to Profile > Look and Layout Preferences > Return to topic after posting. to change it for yourself on a permanent basis.

Or even Admin > Configuration > Themes and Layout > Member Options to adjust it for new members and existing members.

(Why isn't there a guide for this on the wiki? Or better still, just change it in future 2.0.x installs to default the other way around. Would save a lot of support questions.)

Kindred

Quote from: Arantor on May 19, 2013, 06:26:49 PM
(Why isn't there a guide for this on the wiki? Or better still, just change it in future 2.0.x installs to default the other way around. Would save a lot of support questions.)

I believe this was added to the wiki. :)

As for why not change it?   Well, because I think it works the way it should right now - why would I want to go back to the topic that I just finished posting in? :P   I wrote the last post - now I want to move into the next topic.   LOL....   (yes, we're still having this argument)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

It was added to the wiki, yes.

While I agree with you on that logic, it seems that a LOT of users do not. How often do we see these issues? While you and I may not like it, that is how they expect the software to work and what we see as logical is not the expected behaviour.

Seems to me that if you change the default behaviour to match the default expectation, you will reduce support issues. (Yes, you'll get some people asking how to return to the message index after posting, but far fewer than otherwise.)

FWIW I did this in Wedge for the exact same reason.

Kindred

yeah... I'm just yanking your chain with the old argument.
I gave up on logcal thinking about that topic a while ago. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Hahahaha, fair enough.

But seriously, though, if it was changed in new installations, you'd see less support topics.

Advertisement: