News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Slow ssi_recentTopics due to boards join

Started by TracerX, May 17, 2013, 11:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TracerX

Hi guys, I have noticed that I am having responsiveness issues when I use ssi_recentTopics on a page. The current query (I removed some board exclusions I was using because it didn't appear to significantly affect query speed) averages about 4.04 seconds over 5 runs though that number gets higher at times (looks like it could be due to locking?):

SELECT
m.poster_time, ms.subject, m.id_topic, m.id_member, m.id_msg, b.id_board, b.name AS board_name, t.num_replies, t.num_views,
IFNULL(mem.real_name, m.poster_name) AS poster_name, 1 AS is_read, 0 AS new_from, SUBSTRING(m.body, 1, 384) AS body, m.smileys_enabled, m.icon
FROM core_topics AS t
INNER JOIN core_messages AS m ON (m.id_msg = t.id_last_msg)
INNER JOIN core_boards AS b ON (b.id_board = t.id_board)
INNER JOIN core_messages AS ms ON (ms.id_msg = t.id_first_msg)
LEFT JOIN core_members AS mem ON (mem.id_member = m.id_member)
WHERE t.id_last_msg >= 2402667
ORDER BY t.id_last_msg DESC
LIMIT 20

If I remove the inner join to core_boards and remove the two columns that require that board from the select, the execution time drops down to 0.384 over 5 runs.

I'm thinking that an index might help with this issue though I'm unsure of exactly what I should be looking to index. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

EDIT: I should probably add that I'm on 2.0.4.

Arantor

QuoteI removed some board exclusions I was using because it didn't appear to significantly affect query speed

The board exclusions, presuming you mean {query_see_boards} are there not for performance but privacy, ensuring that only the boards users should be able to see can see it...

As far as pure performance goes, best way to analyse this is to take the query and put an EXPLAIN in front of it.

TracerX

Sorry for the confusion there, I meant that I had removed the exclusions from the query I was showing in order to limit the size of the query so it would be simpler to view. here is the result of the EXPLAIN for the query:

idselect_typetabletypepossible_keyskeykey_lenrefrowsExtra
1SIMPLEbALLPRIMARY90Using temporary; Using filesort
1SIMPLEtrefIX_ForumIDIX_ForumID2hxxp:smfdb.b.id [nonactive]_board2333Using where
1SIMPLEmeq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4hxxp:smfdb.t.id [nonactive]_last_msg1
1SIMPLEmemeq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY3hxxp:smfdb.m.id [nonactive]_member1
1SIMPLEmseq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4hxxp:smfdb.t.id [nonactive]_first_msg1

Arantor

QuoteI meant that I had removed the exclusions from the query I was showing in order to limit the size of the query so it would be simpler to view

The exclusion on the boards table is purely for validating board access. If you aren't using it to ensure access to boards is maintained (i.e. you don't care about anyone, even guests, seeing any post), there is no need to keep the table join.

Though given that query, I don't see why there is the filesort (which is the killer) on the boards table.

TracerX

Quote from: Arantor on May 17, 2013, 12:25:28 PM
The exclusion on the boards table is purely for validating board access. If you aren't using it to ensure access to boards is maintained (i.e. you don't care about anyone, even guests, seeing any post), there is no need to keep the table join.

Unfortunately, I do require the exclude boards since I have a miscellaneous board that is only accessed by certain users along with some boards that I don't want to show because they'd clutter up the recent topics. Here is my call to ssi_recentTopics:

$topics = ssi_recentTopics($num_recent = 20, $exclude_boards = array(80,26,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,100,101,102,103,105,106,107,108,109,120,124,125,126,127,128,129,130,131,132,133,134,135,136,137,138,139,140,141,142,143,144,145,146,151), $include_boards = null, $output_method = 'array');

and here is the full query for a guest user:

SELECT
m.poster_time, ms.subject, m.id_topic, m.id_member, m.id_msg, b.id_board, b.name AS board_name, t.num_replies, t.num_views,
IFNULL(mem.real_name, m.poster_name) AS poster_name, 1 AS is_read, 0 AS new_from, SUBSTRING(m.body, 1, 384) AS body, m.smileys_enabled, m.icon
FROM core_topics AS t
INNER JOIN core_messages AS m ON (m.id_msg = t.id_last_msg)
INNER JOIN core_boards AS b ON (b.id_board = t.id_board)
INNER JOIN core_messages AS ms ON (ms.id_msg = t.id_first_msg)
LEFT JOIN core_members AS mem ON (mem.id_member = m.id_member)
WHERE t.id_last_msg >= 2402667

AND b.id_board NOT IN (80, 26, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 120, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 151)

AND (FIND_IN_SET(-1, b.member_groups) != 0)
ORDER BY t.id_last_msg DESC
LIMIT 20

Arantor

So is the EXPLAIN you gave for your original query or the actual query being used?

TracerX

It was on the modified query. Sorry, I should've realized that might make a difference. Here is explain run on the exact query as seen in my previous response. I also noted where NULL was being returned.

idselect_typetabletypepossible_keyskeykey_lenrefrowsExtra
1SIMPLEbALLPRIMARYNULLNULLNULL90Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort
1SIMPLEtrefIX_ForumIDIX_ForumID2hxxp:smfdb.b.id [nonactive]_board805Using where
1SIMPLEmeq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4hxxp:smfdb.t.id [nonactive]_last_msg1
1SIMPLEmemeq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY3hxxp:smfdb.m.id [nonactive]_member1
1SIMPLEmseq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4hxxp:smfdb.t.id [nonactive]_first_msg1

Arantor

I'm curious. Please DESCRIBE the structure of the boards table. There are no fields there that should be generating a filesort on that table.

In other news, can I make a tactical suggestion? How many boards is this drawing from (total boards less the exclude boards)? See, it may be faster to use include_boards rather than exclude_boards.

Advertisement: