News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF Showpiece

Started by NeedIt, May 17, 2013, 02:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeedIt

I'm just curious:

What is the biggest, baddest forum run on SMF that is used as kind of showpiece for it?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

NeedIt

That's interesting.  I'm not too far behind them in Alexa as far as my overall site, but my forum is only about 15% of my total traffic.  (Yeah, I know Alexa is pretty worthless.) So I've got work to do!

Well, the reason I was asking is that I'm sitting on a very solid, dedicated server and running between 40 to 60 concurrent users 24/7 with bursts over 100 when I tweet.  Is there any upper limit to SMF on concurrent users or anything performance-wise that I should know about.

To be honest, I'm not doing much maintenance, so I'd love to get any advice along those lines.

Arantor

There are various performance tweaks, there's a whole list of them in the Servers & Configuration board.

Also, not using the ban system if possible is a potentially big saving.

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 17, 2013, 02:46:17 PM
There are various performance tweaks, there's a whole list of them in the Servers & Configuration board.

Also, not using the ban system if possible is a potentially big saving.

I'll check it out.

I've banned two people.  Are you saying it would be better just to delete their accounts and not use the bans?

Arantor

Well, either use warnings or delete their accounts - these affect just the accounts.

Bans potentially affect *everyone*, including guests.

antler

not sure what the basis for showcase is but http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php has 13,888 total members

Arantor

This site alone has 3,345,520 Posts in 409,958 Topics by 316,094 Members ;)

14k members is, sadly, not really a contender for 'the biggest and baddest SMF forum', whose title firmly goes to Warrior Cats (43,280,389 Posts in 921,253 Threads by 95,375 members)

antler

I see that, I had no idea that a forum would/could have that many members

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 17, 2013, 02:49:49 PM
Well, either use warnings or delete their accounts - these affect just the accounts.

Bans potentially affect *everyone*, including guests.

I'm not sure what you mean by a warning?  I warned them before I banned them?

Actually, I said the wrong thing:  I have occasionally banned overseas users by IP now that I think of it.  These were in China, Russia, the Ukraine, so  there is little risk of affecting others.

The two guys in the U.S. who I banned were not banned by ip but only by username and email if I remember right.

So are you saying that doing these types of bans affect performance?  Or is it only when you ban by ip?

NeedIt

Quote from: Arantor on May 17, 2013, 03:15:48 PM
This site alone has 3,345,520 Posts in 409,958 Topics by 316,094 Members ;)

14k members is, sadly, not really a contender for 'the biggest and baddest SMF forum', whose title firmly goes to Warrior Cats (43,280,389 Posts in 921,253 Threads by 95,375 members)

Whoa!  I didn't notice that.  Impressive!

I wonder how big his/her backup is!  What do you think?  10G?

And, again, I wasn't asking to see who had the fastest car in the neighborhood:  I was asking because I was wondering if there were some kind of concurrency limits for SMF or some other upper limits on performance that I should be worried about?  Well, I think that answers my questtion!

Arantor

QuoteI'm not sure what you mean by a warning?  I warned them before I banned them?

I never issue bans on members. I use the warning system to issue a 100% warning, has mostly the same practical effect but without the performance impacts.

QuoteI have occasionally banned overseas users by IP now that I think of it.  These were in China, Russia, the Ukraine, so  there is little risk of affecting others.

Incorrect. Those bans have to be periodically evaluated for every user at the SMF level which is actually a serious performance bottleneck. If you have to issue an IP ban, do so through the webserver configuration itself (e.g. cPanel) rather than through SMF.

QuoteSo are you saying that doing these types of bans affect performance?  Or is it only when you ban by ip?

All bans carried out through SMF have a performance impact, and they all get evaluated every so often for every user on the site. Having as few as possible is the best way - and keep IP bans out of SMF entirely.

QuoteI wonder how big his/her backup is!  What do you think?  10G?

Larger, if I remember rightly.

008Rohit

Pretty big forum. The reason why I installed SMF on my own site in the first place: http://forum.dailymobile.net
TechTage Forum - Vintage Technology - on MDDHosting - CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered - MDDHosting Review

Colin

Pretty large forum over there with 1,097,870 posts
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Mick.

Arantor

I'd imagine it'd need to be off for the most part.

Mick.

Quote from: Arantor on May 21, 2013, 07:40:29 PM
I'd imagine it'd need to be off for the most part.
Ya no kidding. Especially those with the wrong password.

Arantor

That and the ban system.

* Arantor is very glad he stopped bans triggering email addresses... banned is *banned* in my book.

Advertisement: