Streamlining Navigation: Removing "Last Post by"

Started by Kambei_Shimada, May 31, 2013, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kambei_Shimada

Hello, and thank you for all the hard work that goes into supporting this community. I have used SMF and its predecessors for over a decade on my forum (located here: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/) . I recently transmigrated my forum from 1.1.4 to 2.0.4 and in the process, began using a modified theme. Now I am working out the kinks in it, making it function the way that I want it to.

An anomaly of 2.0's design that I've discovered is that one of the most commonly clicked links on the boardindex is obscured, bunched together between two other lines. I'll demonstrate with the attached image.

When I view the boardindex, I'm interested in clicking on the latest posts (highlighted in red on the attached image). But the way the boardindex populates the column, the first link my mouse would hit is the USER who made the post, not the latest post itself. That seems counter intuitive to me...

Can someone explain to me how  to simply remove, or lower, the line referencing WHO made the post, in favor of raising the link to the post itself? Perhaps it could simply go:

Re: Thread title (all one link)
by: Username (no link to username... too easy to misclick)
on: XX Nov., 2013 (no link)

OR

Have that whole cell clickable to take members to that post?

Thanks in advance to the team here.

Antechinus

There are umpteen ways you can do it, and they're all easy. :)

Just decide which way you want it and someone will give you the code. I did it like this, just because I like everything on two lines (I hate clutter). The username links to their profile for logged in members, but not for guests.

Kambei_Shimada

Quote from: Antechinus on May 31, 2013, 02:37:25 AM
There are umpteen ways you can do it, and they're all easy. :)

Just decide which way you want it and someone will give you the code. I did it like this, just because I like everything on two lines (I hate clutter). The username links to their profile for logged in members, but not for guests.
Oh my god, I love how clean your theme is on phones, and adding the recent posts column to the far left, where it's viewable even from within a thread is a brilliant notion. Would you mind sharing your theme, or is it awesome enough to be considered proprietary?

As for my exact problem... could someone send me code modification instructions to change the last post column to look like this:

Re: Thread title (all one link)
by: Username (no link)
on: XX Nov., 2013 (no link)

Antechinus

It's not really share-able. It's based on 1.1.x with Tiny Portal, but has had 27 templates almost completely rewritten from scratch, complete custom css from the ground up, as well as several significant edits to some Sources files. It still needs some coding tweaks before I'd consider it finished. I just got it to the stage where it was working cleanly, then decided I needed a break.

In other words, if I handed it out to everyone it would be a nightmare for most users to get it running, and the support requests would be too much for me to handle. However I'm happy to answer specific questions about any details, and anyone can grab a lot of the code straight from their browser. :)

Back to simpler stuff..................

Find this in BoardIndex.template.php and MessageIndex.template.php:

<p><strong>', $txt['last_post'], '</strong>  ', $txt['by'], ' ', $board['last_post']['member']['link'] , '<br />
', $txt['in'], ' ', $board['last_post']['link'], '<br />
', $txt['on'], ' ', $board['last_post']['time'],'
</p>';

Change to:

<p><strong>', $board['last_post']['link'], '</strong><br />
  ', $txt['by'], ' ', $board['last_post']['member']['name'] , '<br />
</p>';

Kambei_Shimada

Quote from: Antechinus on May 31, 2013, 06:29:49 PM
It's not really share-able. It's based on 1.1.x with Tiny Portal, but has had 27 templates almost completely rewritten from scratch, complete custom css from the ground up, as well as several significant edits to some Sources files. It still needs some coding tweaks before I'd consider it finished. I just got it to the stage where it was working cleanly, then decided I needed a break.

In other words, if I handed it out to everyone it would be a nightmare for most users to get it running, and the support requests would be too much for me to handle. However I'm happy to answer specific questions about any details, and anyone can grab a lot of the code straight from their browser. :)

Back to simpler stuff..................

Find this in BoardIndex.template.php and MessageIndex.template.php:

<p><strong>', $txt['last_post'], '</strong>  ', $txt['by'], ' ', $board['last_post']['member']['link'] , '<br />
', $txt['in'], ' ', $board['last_post']['link'], '<br />
</p>';

Change to:

<p><strong>', $board['last_post']['link'], '</strong><br />
  ', $txt['by'], ' ', $board['last_post']['member']['name'] , '<br />
</p>';

Thanks for the work and sorry for the late reply. I was out of town for a week.

Took me some time to find the files you were referring to. Found some similar filenames in Sources, but I couldn't find the exact line you referred to. Is the fix you propose for SMF 1.1.x or SMF 2.0.x?

Thanks again!

Burke ♞ Knight

@ Antechinus:

I like the looks of your site. Could I ask you for the code for the Goto scroll buttons?

@ Walter:
There are some mods that re-do the board index. Maybe one of them may be right for you.

Antechinus

Quote from: Walter on June 07, 2013, 02:39:38 PMTook me some time to find the files you were referring to. Found some similar filenames in Sources, but I couldn't find the exact line you referred to. Is the fix you propose for SMF 1.1.x or SMF 2.0.x?

Thanks again!

It's for 2.0.x.

QuoteFind this in BoardIndex.template.php and MessageIndex.template.php:

Those files are in your Themes/default folder. :)

Kambei_Shimada

Quote from: Antechinus on June 07, 2013, 07:25:02 PM
Quote from: Walter on June 07, 2013, 02:39:38 PMTook me some time to find the files you were referring to. Found some similar filenames in Sources, but I couldn't find the exact line you referred to. Is the fix you propose for SMF 1.1.x or SMF 2.0.x?

Thanks again!

It's for 2.0.x.

QuoteFind this in BoardIndex.template.php and MessageIndex.template.php:

Those files are in your Themes/default folder. :)
Ah... Sorry, I was confused since there are similar files in the Sources folder. Thanks, it works perfectly as intended!

kat

* K@ sneaks in, hits the "Mark topic solved" wotsit and sneaks out, again... ;)

Advertisement: