News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Deleting a theme actually deletes the theme.

Started by kat, June 03, 2013, 03:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

Deleting a theme leaves all files onsite. Shouldn't deleting a theme delete it, properly?

(Apologies if this has already been discussed)

Burke ♞ Knight

I had been wondering the same thing. I've deleted themes to help on disk space and transfers, yet was shocked to see they were still there. That kind of makes deleting pointless. I agree that it should delete all files and the directory, too.

live627

shadow82x

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

kat

Come to think of it, I'd actually like to see a patch for v2.0.4 that does this, not just in any new versions.

Burke ♞ Knight

I'm actually surprised that no one has brought up this issue before.
Also, that no one has made a mod to do so.
But, the main question is, why is this an issue in the first place?
Unless the team decided to have the delete function delete only from the theme list, and not the files in case people decided they wanted the theme back again.

Shambles

I guess in a way it's similar to modifications. When you uninstall a mod it also leaves the package hanging around until you delete it (via pacman or ftp).

I don't install so many themes to be a problem for me ;)

kat

It does seem kinda odd, don't you think?

Maybe an option to either delete the files, or not, would be best?

Shambles

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: K@ on June 04, 2013, 04:46:48 AM
It does seem kinda odd, don't you think?

Maybe an option to either delete the files, or not, would be best?

That's what I think. However, I think it would be wise to set it to not allowing the deletion of the default theme.

Shambles

Quote from: BurkeKnight
...I think it would be wise to set it to not allowing the deletion of the default theme.
Why not? It's just taking up valuable filestore.

Oh, wait...

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: Shambles on June 04, 2013, 05:24:02 AM
Quote from: BurkeKnight
...I think it would be wise to set it to not allowing the deletion of the default theme.
Why not? It's just taking up valuable filestore.

Oh, wait...

Thanks...

Poor cat....

Poor cup of ice coffee....

live627

Kindred

actually, I can see the point of doing it the way we do (and I don't think it was an oversight. I believe that it is intentional)

you may be removing a theme but want it back later
you may have made custom edits or included custom images that you didn't mean to delete.
etc etc

requiring the user to manually remove the theme directory seems like a valid "protection against stupidity" to me...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Irisado

Quote from: Kindred on June 04, 2013, 10:30:08 AM
requiring the user to manually remove the theme directory seems like a valid "protection against stupidity" to me...

I was actually trying to come up with a counter to that, but I can't  :D.

While deleting the theme in the way K@ suggests would be my personal preference, what Kindred's saying also seems very logical to me, so I guess that it's best just to leave things as they are.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

kat

So, why not have a "Do you want to delete the actual files from the server" option?

Or, at least, a message saying that the files won't be deleted and will have to be deleted manually?

It seems extremely silly just to leave them there and, possibly, leave the admin with no idea that the files are there, taking-up valuable space.

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: K@ on June 04, 2013, 02:04:10 PM
It seems extremely silly just to leave them there and, possibly, leave the admin with no idea that the files are there, taking-up valuable space.

How about at least telling the people that the dir/files are not actually being deleted?

kat

My point, exactly. :)

Quote from: K@ on June 04, 2013, 02:04:10 PMOr, at least, a message saying that the files won't be deleted and will have to be deleted manually?

Antechinus

Yeah, because any competent admin will never check the contents of their directories.

Oh, wait.......... :D

IMO it would make sense to change the wording in admin, so that it does not say the theme is going to be deleted, but instead says the theme wll be uninstalled (which is what actually happens).

It's consistent with the behaviour of the package manager when uninstalling mods. The files stay put in case you want to reinstall later.

NanoSector

What about doing the same thing as the PM, separate uninstall and delete?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Advertisement: