News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

New members cannot log-in. Even some old members cannot log-in.

Started by sammy1028, June 05, 2013, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammy1028

Here's a message from one of the members. I changed his password because he could'nt log-in, and still can't log-in.

Sam I have been trying to log into your site for 2 weeks but it wont let me. Also requested new pass word and it doesn't send me an e-mail to get a new one

He had to send that to me by pm on a different website because he couldn't get in. I go to his account and can log-in to it without any problem.
kickinbass
bassmaster1

I un-installed lots of my apps, but that didn't help either.

kat

Sorry this seems to have been forgotten about, Sammy.

Have you made any progress?

sammy1028

No progress.
I'm finding alot of other things wrong in my forum also such as it not letting me delete old post. It won;t let me up-load smileys, and I'm not sure what all else.
What would happen if I tried to re-install 2.0.4. Would I lose everything, or would it repair my files ?
Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

Might be a good idea to uninstall all mods before you upload the clean files.  Make a note of any errors you get from package manager.  You will lose any custom edits you may have done to forum files.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Krash. on July 30, 2013, 02:52:11 PM

Might be a good idea to uninstall all mods before you upload the clean files.  Make a note of any errors you get from package manager.  You will lose any custom edits you may have done to forum files.

why would you need to uninstall the mods? the clean files will do that for you other then hooks, which can be taken care of in other ways.

Sir Osis of Liver

If package manager throws an error uninstalling, might give a clue what caused the problem.  Forum works normally for me, so difficult to guess what went wrong.

- R. Waters

Illori

not always is that a good way to know, if multiple mods are installed that edit similar code it will fail based on that and not that it is causing the problem.

sammy1028

Thank you everyone,
I will for sure give this a try, and I'll let you know either way it works out.

sammy1028

I did down-load the large up-grade or up-date. I did delete all my mods, and or extensions

When I try the up-load I keep getting:

An Error Has Occurred!
Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

Thanks everyone !!

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not a package.  You have to unzip the large upgrade and upload the files to your forum via FTP.  This will overwrite the existing files and give you a clean install.

- R. Waters

sammy1028

Is there anyway I can get someone to help do this for me.
I'm just not that smart. I don't even know how to do the FTP thing.
Any help would be greatly appriciated !
Please let me know.
Thank you !

kat

It'll do you good to get into FTP, to be honest. I couldn't even imagine doing ANYTHING "website", without it.

One that seems very popular, probably because it's free, is Filezilla.

https://filezilla-project.org (You'll want the client).

Why not install that and have a play with it, to see how you get on with it?

One thing, though. Once installed, go to "Edit" menu and select "Settings".

In the "Transfers" section, you'll see "Filetypes".

Make sure that "Treat files without an extension as ASCII file" (sic) is UNchecked, as described here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.0

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

I'll stick with Total Commander, ta.

I prefer the old "Directory Opus" dual-pane layout. :)

Advertisement: