News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

how to shift from one webhost to another

Started by krittin98, June 08, 2013, 11:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krittin98

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

LiroyvH

Have you tried using our search function here?
This question has been answered many times and there's also information about it in our wiki.

If you get stuck in the process, please indicate what the problem is.
Some hosts will help you transfer.

Please try to do a little searching here first before asking a new question.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Herman's Mixen

Make a backup of your database holding the SMF Database structure from your old webhost via PhpMyAdmin
download all your files from your old host

import at the new host the backuped database also via PhpMyAdmin
the downloaded files from your PC upload them to your new host

download from our download page the tool repair_settings.php
upload that to the main directory of your SMF location where SSI.php is

run in your browser the tool as example http://www.yourhost.com/repair_settings.php
and follow the steps ;)
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

kat

Colin

Welcome to SMF, by the way! Let us know if you need any help along the way.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

krittin98

I am facing the following problem while transferring the database
Please see the screenshot and help me if you can
I followed the guide at http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup
Thanks in advance

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

1- how did you create the backup?
2- It looks like you are trying to jam SMF tables into another database?   You should, instead, create a brand new database on your new server and then import into that...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

krittin98

i tried as you said
i crossed the database obstacle
then i uploaded repair_settings.php to the webroot(where settings.php is located)
but i am still getting this error

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

did you copy *ALL* of the smf files to the new host as well?

that error message suggests that you did not.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

Just look at the message. You're running repair_settings.php on the new server in /home/....mk/public_html/, but your Settings.php says to look for the SMF forum in /home/....61400/public_html/ (presumably your old hosting). Did you skip a step in repair_settings and not update the file path?

BTW it's not a good idea to expose your server account name to the public. A hacker on the same server might be able to get into your site with that information.

krittin98

Quote from: Kindred on July 30, 2013, 01:30:53 PM
did you copy *ALL* of the smf files to the new host as well?

that error message suggests that you did not.
i did copy all the files
and i just uploaded the repair_settings.php file directly to the webroot
did i miss anything?

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

Quote from: MrPhil on July 30, 2013, 01:35:29 PM
Just look at the message. You're running repair_settings.php on the new server in /home/....mk/public_html/, but your Settings.php says to look for the SMF forum in /home/....61400/public_html/ (presumably your old hosting). Did you skip a step in repair_settings and not update the file path?

If all esle fails, edit the base path in Settins.php directly and then run repair_settings to fix the rest of the stuff
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: krittin98 on July 30, 2013, 01:40:16 PM
i did copy all the files
did i miss anything?

you uploaded repair_settings.php, but did you actually RUN it?

Kindred

Illori... :P   Look at the screen shot.  :-X   O:)
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

sorry i did not see that, but i have never seen repair_settings.php do that...

krittin98

Quote from: Illori on July 30, 2013, 01:46:03 PM
Quote from: krittin98 on July 30, 2013, 01:40:16 PM
i did copy all the files
did i miss anything?

you uploaded repair_settings.php, but did you actually RUN it?
yes i ran it
now what should i do

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on July 30, 2013, 01:44:34 PM
Quote from: MrPhil on July 30, 2013, 01:35:29 PM

If all esle fails, edit the base path in Settins.php directly and then run repair_settings to fix the rest of the stuff
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

MrPhil

Your old base path is /home/....61400/public_html/. Your new base path is /home/....mk/public_html/. If repair_settings.php won't let you change it, you'll have to manually edit Settings.php to change that entry under $boarddir (as well as $sourcedir and $cachedir).

krittin98

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

this suggests that, as I first asked --   that not all of your files were successfully transferred.
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

but i had transferred each and every file
ftp also did not show any failed transfers

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

.......    and yet....

it could be DATABASE reslated... in which case, the same way you updated Settings.php with the new host's path info, you will need to update Settings.php with the new host's database connection info.
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

i changed the database settings in settings.php
now i am getting one error
wat can be done now?

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

you are definitely missing file(s) or at least pieces of file(s).
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

can i know in any way which file am i missing
i mean is there a procedure for finding that

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

AT this point, I am tempted to tell you to load a fresh set of forum files from the large upgrade archive.
This will mostly reset your forum (i.e. remove most mods) but it will not touch the userlist or messages.
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

i can sacrifice the mods but will the posts and topics also be lost. anyway i will follow what u will say.can u tell me where can i get this large archive and how can i install it. i mean r there any particular fils which have to b kept aside before upoading the files frmthe large archive.btw than to the whoecommunity for being of so much help

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

do i need to delete all the previous files on the new host(which had been transferred from an old host) and then upload the files from the download link u mentioned

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

no....   just over-write files with the contents of the large upgrade archive.
Слaва
Украинi

MrPhil

If the new host site contained any site before (it's not fresh and brand new), then yes you should erase all the old files first, except for system files such as .htaccess, favicon.ico, robots.txt, php.ini, error documents, etc. This is another good reason that you should always install an application into its own subdirectory, rather than into the site root. Those files need to be reviewed individually to see if they are still applicable and if they need to be updated.

Another reason for cleaning out the old stuff is, especially if the site had ever been hacked, to clean out back doors, trojans, etc. that the hacker might have left behind. Merely copying in or FTPing in a new set of files will overwrite existing files of the same name, but will leave everything else there. Anything "planted" by a hacker or previous owner will still be there for them to use against you.

krittin98

At last my site has started wrking

but i am getting no theme not even d core one( see repair.png)

when i click on "The default theme's directory is wrong, please correct it by clicking this text." it redirects me to the page shown in repair1.png

also i was using a mod named sa chat in my old site and i had deleted ll d packages from the package folder
how is it still being displayed

when i click on "Admin" to access the admin menu i get the same screen as in repair1.png

now wat should i do

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

*NOW*, upload and run repair_settings.php

:)
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

but when i access admin panel i am still getting repair1.png error

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

don't do  anything in the admin panel.

Upload and run repair_settings.php and reset the values, especially for themes, as suggested

Do you have and htaccess file present?   If so, rename it htaccess.txt for a moment.
Слaва
Украинi

MrPhil

Erasing a mod's files does nothing. You needed to uninstall the mod first, before erasing the files.

Kindred

MrPhil...   If krittin98 did what I told him to do, then he replaced all the SMF files with clean copies ---  which means there should be (essentially) no mods installed.

However, I notice SA chat uses the hooks system...   which means that the mod will still be present even with the clean forum files (andMrPhil is correct in this case - the only way to remove it is to uninstall it or to manually edit the database tables.
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on August 01, 2013, 06:53:33 PM
However, I notice SA chat uses the hooks system...   which means that the mod will still be present even with the clean forum files (andMrPhil is correct in this case - the only way to remove it is to uninstall it or to manually edit the database tables.

the new repair_settings.php file has a button [or link] at the bottom that will remove all hooks no db edits required.

krittin98

Quote from: Kindred on August 01, 2013, 01:00:09 PM
Do you have and htaccess file present?   If so, rename it htaccess.txt for a moment.

Nopes the htaccess file is not present
i have followed each and every step u have asked me to follow
wat should i do now

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

Did you run repair_settings.php and SAVE the values?
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

yes. i ran repair_settings.php and saved the file
thats why the theme problem has been solved

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

then I am confused...   what is your problem now?
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

see the screenshot
when i click on admin it shows the screen below and there is no .htaccess file
wat should i do now

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

you only get that if you try to directly access a php file....  I know of no reason that the forum would generate that error accessing the action=admin
Слaва
Украинi

krittin98

can any one tell me wat is the solution to this problem
i have followed each and every step that i have been asked to
thanks in advance and thanks to kindred also for helping me

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

MrPhil

If you are on a "Linux" server (technically, an "Apache" server running on Linux), there will be an .htaccess file in the site root, and possibly other directories. It may be empty. It may also be hidden by the File Manager because its name starts with a dot. Your File Manager should have a configuration switch somewhere to "show all hidden files".

krittin98

u were right MrPhil the .htaccess file was hidden
i unhid it and renamed it to htaccess.txt as Kindred said
when i click on admin its still resulting in the same problem

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

krittin98

should i run the repair_settings.php again and delete all the mods permanantly as Illori said
if yes, can i get the link to the latest repair_settings.php

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

krittin98

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

krittin98

can i get d link of the latest repair_settings.php

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

krittin98

thank u all