Empty site after installing smf2.0.4, have i lost all data & member information?

Started by saibaworld, June 10, 2013, 02:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saibaworld

Hello and goodday,

I was on smf 1.1.18 but decided to go to smf 2.0.4. So i went to Forum maintenance>>Back up. I then downloaded a backup copy of my site which saved as all0912006132978-complete_2013-06-08.sql. I then went on to uninstall smf 1.1.18 completely and then installed smf 2.0.4 all the time using my host's auto installer.

HOWEVER, and surprisingly to me, all data on my site is gone! My website is completely empty of content and member information except me. And i don't know how to check if my database still contains any info.

Pls what do i do now? I tried uploading the all0912006132978-complete_2013-06-08.sql through package manager but it gave me an error message and wouldn't.

Have i lost 7 years of content, members and hardwork? I pray not.

Please what do i do now?
"The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing." - Ben Okri
"The one being carried does not realize how far away the town is." - Nigerian proverb

ANF Forum  ||  Study & Scholarships || Jobs & Careers || The Internist

CapadY

It is a known issue there are problems with the backup module of SMF.
The advise is never to use it and allways use phpMyAdmin to make a database backup.

The only way to find out if you loose all your content is opening the .sql file and inspect it. The problems can also came up during the restore of a backup that is complet but with a problem in te format.

By the way, you can never handle a .sql file using the package manager because an sql file is no package :)

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

ziycon

Hi saibaworld, If your concerned about your data, contact your host as they should have a recent backup if they're any good. As CapadY said, it's not advised to use the backup functionality with SMF.

Can you outline the steps you took to upgrade your site, the more details the better we can help you.

saibaworld

Hello CapadY and ziycon, am so gr8ful for ur fast responses.  Thank U!

I neva knew there were issues wit backup via smp cpanel. I only got 2 know while searchin yesterday on smf community and d internet for how 2 solve this my present predicament.

Quote from: ziycon on June 10, 2013, 04:13:36 AM
Hi saibaworld, If your concerned about your data, contact your host as they should have a recent backup if they're any good. As CapadY said, it's not advised to use the backup functionality with SMF.

Can you outline the steps you took to upgrade your site, the more details the better we can help you.
Yes, my host says they v a backup but their fee 2 restore my db is outrageously high. I really wld want 2 use an alterntiv if its possible, and reserve my host as a very last resort.

On d steps i tuk to upgrade my site:

1) i logged into smf forum admin section, then Forum maintenance >> Backup database >> Download. I then clicked 'SAVE' on the dialog box that came out n it saved as all0912006132978-complete_2013-06-08.sql

2) i then logged into my host's (ie godaddy.com) 'WEB HOSTING' cpanel. i clicked on 'Manage Applications' >> SMF >> Actions >> Uninstall. After few minutes, i got a system message - "SMF software was successfuly uninstalled."

3) i then went ahead to the 'Options & Settings' section of my WEBHOSTING cpanel. Under the 'Options & Settings' section, i clicked on 'Popular Apps', then selected 'Simple Machines' >> Install Now. And the system began to install. After abt 1-2minutes, i got another system massage - 'SMF 2.0.4 has been successfully installed.'

HOWEVER, when i first went to my site and did not see any content or members, i first tried uploading the file i saved i.e. all0912006132978-complete_2013-06-08.sql thru package manager but couldn't (i now know y - CapadY xplained above, thnx 4d explanations). i thereafter set my forum in Maintenance Mode. I then wrote my host and also began to search the Internet for clues on what to do next. I then went ahead to uninstall smf a second time cos i tot the content wld show if i install after awhile.

I waited about 1 hour and came to reinstall, but this time the WEBHOSTING cpanel system prompted me to create a db username and password (which i did). Then, it took me back thru step 3 above with same system message after installation -  'SMF 2.0.4 has been successfully installed.'

But still not seeing anything on my site, i decided to come here for help. Please i need your help!
"The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing." - Ben Okri
"The one being carried does not realize how far away the town is." - Nigerian proverb

ziycon

Now I can't answer if the GoDaddy un-install would have deleted your database or any files relating to SMF or if it just actually un-installs it. As has been already said the database backup in SMF shouldn't be used as there are issues with it. I'm not too aware of the issues of restoring one of the SMF backups so maybe someone else can help you but if it's a case that the SMF backup can't be used and the un-install did remove everything you will have to go with your host restoring it.

A note for future reference would be to stay away from over sellers like GoDaddy, nothing but trouble from my experiences.

saibaworld

Am so gr8ful for ur response, but i dont understand how to work on or wit databases at all. Am so so greek there.

Since i can log into my phpMyAdmin account (altho everythn in there confuses me), how or where inside the phpMyAdmin account can i ACTUALLY check to see or know if my content is still there and can be restored? Is there a particular folder/file i shd check on or look 4 in there? What shd i look 4 inside d folder/file, if there's any such thing?

I'll also b gr8ful if u point me to any elementary explanations of mySQL / phpMyAdmin databases anywhere on d internet that might enlighten me more.

Thnx 4 all ur help!

Kindred

I am concerned that you selected uninstall in the first place...

in order to upgrade, you should not have uninstalled 1.1.x... you should have just over-written the files with the files from the 2.0.4 upgrade archive and then run upgrade.php.

Now, If you can make it into phpmyadmin
check to see if your old database name is still listed as an available database.
Confirm that the tables like smf_messages and smf_members are still there and have a whole bunch of rows (a new install will only have one member and one message)

if so, then you can work with that...

The only problem that you will have is getting a correct copy of Settings.php (which contains the database connection information and urls and paths for your forum. If you can get a copy of that from your old site, then....

get the large upgrade archive from our site (see download link, above, at the top right of the page)
upload the file and extract the contents into the correct directory on your website.
navigate to upgrade.php at your website and follow the instructions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

saibaworld

Hello Kindred, thanks.

I just logged into the phpMyAdmin account for my smf. The old database name (which i listed above) has been completely changed to a new one. Also i went to the 'BROWSE' sections of smf_members and smf_messages, and found only one member (i.e my name) and one message from smf (i.e. Welcome to SMF!).

I feel so bad about this, but from all you said previously, it does appear like my entire db has been wiped out and a new one created, right? Meaning i v to start from scratch OR pay d high sum my host is demanding b4 restoring my db, am i right?

saibaworld

Please one last query:

What if i try to install the .sql file i downloded using smf backup? Do i v a chance if i do this? And PLEASE how do i ACTUALLY upload it to my database, if it is possible?

Am asking becos of what i read from the very last comment here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=505477.0

Once again, thanks yo' all

Kindred

what host do you have?   Seriously, any decent host should be willing to give you a restore of their automated backups

however, if the backup form SMF's utility was a complete/successful backup, then you can restore it by adding a new (empty) database of the same name and then going into phpmyadmin and choosing "IMPORT" (then select the sql file)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

saibaworld

You guys are so wonderful and exquisitely helpful! Am indebted.

Quote from: Kindred on June 10, 2013, 01:24:20 PM
what host do you have?   Seriously, any decent host should be willing to give you a restore of their automated backups

however, if the backup form SMF's utility was a complete/successful backup, then you can restore it by adding a new (empty) database of the same name and then going into phpmyadmin and choosing "IMPORT" (then select the sql file)
I use GoDaddy but they want a fee b4 they restore. H/v on my own i strongly feel their fee is too much!

I extracted the files in the .sql folder i downloaded using smf backup, and opened its content wit Notepad. I found tons and tons of information abt my forum. There's members names/emails, table structure, and several other information. ~smiling~

Since i already created a new (empty) database durin the uninstall/install process for smf2.0.4, do i simply IMPORT the saved backup copy on my PC via that same new (empty) database? Is the file to import the initial saved file OR the file i extracted / saved in notepad? Is this all there is to it? Or do i do sth else in addition?

Am so so sorry 4d many questions. Thnx in advance!!

Kindred

you will want to DROP all tables in the new database before doing your import.

then, since your database was saved on 1.1.x, after you do the import, you need to get the upgrade,php and other upgrade SQL files form the large upgrade archive - put them in your smf directory and run upgrade.php
Слaва
Украинi

saibaworld

Thanks...am learning fast. I just did a google search for "How to DROP tables in phpMyAdmin database". And i have dropped all tables in my database. Ryt now, am currently uploading the backup copy i made via smf backup utility.

Also i v downloaded d smf large upgrade, extracted its files to a folder, and saw only 6 upgrade files:
upgrade.php, upgrade_1-0.sql, upgrade_1-1.sql, upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql, upgrade_2-0_pstgresql.sql, AND upgrade_2-0_sqlite.sql. So i am to put ALL these files into my smf directory and run upgrade.php? Ok thanks!

The only issue now is that importing the saved copy of the db is taking too much time...i hope its actually being imported!

Will keep you posted...thanks again!

saibaworld

Hello, after tryin to import over a very long time, the phpmyadmin gave this error:

Error

SQL query:

INSERT INTO `smf_log_activity` (
`date` ,
`hits` ,
`topics` ,
`posts` ,
`registers` ,
`mostOn`
)
VALUES # --------------------------------------------------------
#
# Table structure for table `smf_log_banned`
#

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_log_banned` ;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_log_banned`' at line 5

Please what does it mean? And what do i do to rectify it?

MrPhil

Quote from: Kindred on June 10, 2013, 01:24:20 PM

Many hosts do charge a hefty fee for doing a requested restore from their automated backups. It is expensive in tech time, because these backups are usually very low level, intended to restore an entire volume image at a time (after a hardware failure or a major hack). I think they have to actually restore it to a spare volume, look for the files to extract (even more complicated if it's a database), move them over, and overwrite/restore your working copies. It's in their interest to discourage clients from asking for restores.

MrPhil

It appears that there was no content in smf_log_activity, and you're using an SMF backup. Fortunately, this one is easy to fix. Simply remove

INSERT INTO `smf_log_activity` (
`date` ,
`hits` ,
`topics` ,
`posts` ,
`registers` ,
`mostOn`
)
VALUES

from the .sql file, and try again.

This being an SMF backup, odds are there are other errors lurking in there, but this will get you past the error you reported.

saibaworld

saibaworld

Hello, i deleted as you said and tried uploading, but got this message:

Error

SQL query:

INSERT INTO `smf_log_search_subjects` (`word`, `ID_TOPIC`) VALUES ('earn', 3200), ('earn', 3206), ('earn', 3225), ('earner', 3054), ('earnings', 3082), ('earth', 1275), ('earthquake', 440), ('earthquake', 536), ('earthquake', 551), ('earthquake', 2606), ('earthquake-ravaged', 462), ('ease', 952), ('ease', 1183), ('easil', 800), ('easily', 1162), ('easily', 3195), ('east', 1135), ('east', 1898), ('east', 3129), ('easter', 3188), ('easy', 306), ('easy', 424), ('easy', 653), ('easy', 864), ('eat', 2453), ('eating', 1497), ('ebay', 3147), ('echiejile', 3037), ('echo', 2602), ('ecobank', 1794), ('economist', 561), ('economy', 1380), ('economy', 1905), ('economy', 3186), ('ecowas', 1142), ('ecowas', 1431), ('ecowas', 1432), ('ecowas', 1433), ('ecpat', 1261), ('ed', 1232), ('eddie', 2971), ('editors', 173), ('edoho', 2930), ('education', 7), ('education', 30), ('education', 68), ('education', 359)[...]

#1062 - Duplicate entry 'enough-853' for key 1

Please how do i rectify this one?

ziycon

MrPhil

When you rerun the import, are you first clearing out the old data (or doing a DROP TABLE and CREATE TABLE)? It sounds like you may be partially loading the data, and then restarting with some overlap in the data. Or, your original backup is no good and has duplicate data in it.

saibaworld

Quote from: ziycon on June 11, 2013, 03:12:53 AM
Can you pm me the sql file and i'll have look at it for you?
I been tryin to send a copy/paste message via the compose message field, but it simply refuses to send. I tink d data is much, so might need an attachment. But there's no link to send an attachment in Compose Message. How do i attach via pm?

Quote from: MrPhil on June 11, 2013, 10:09:42 AM
When you rerun the import, are you first clearing out the old data (or doing a DROP TABLE and CREATE TABLE)? It sounds like you may be partially loading the data, and then restarting with some overlap in the data. Or, your original backup is no good and has duplicate data in it.
I really dont understand exactly wat u mean, but wat i did was:
- i signed into phpmyadmin, clicked on 'Check All' n dropped all the tables (after havin saved a db copy usin my host utility)
- i thn went ahead to import d 1st time but got d 1st error msg as above
- i came here to report n was told to delete some lines
- i proceeded to delete the lines i was told to delete, n tried to reimport again
- while doin d 2nd import, the 2nd error msg appeared, so i came back here to report.

those are d exact steps i tuk in dat order. Wat else do i do pls?

TheListener

Quotethose are d exact steps i tuk in dat order. Wat else do i do pls?

One thing you can do is type the words out properly.

Text speak is not exactly forum friendly these days.

Chalky

Quote from: Old Fossil on June 11, 2013, 12:37:56 PM
Quotethose are d exact steps i tuk in dat order. Wat else do i do pls?

One thing you can do is type the words out properly.

Text speak is not exactly forum friendly these days.

Normally I'd agree with you Foss, but in this case English isn't the OP's first language so I suspect he's just typing phonetically...

saibaworld

Oops! Hey guys, am sorry about that...

It's funny but I really didn't realize that how i typed out my English was an issue here on Simple Machines Forum (smf). Am so used to shorthand messages to and from people, even on forums, that I've never considered it being an offense to anyone.

Again, just like ChalkCat truly pointed out, English isn't my native language although I do speak it very fluently. Thanks for the corrections all the same! I'll try my utmost best to "...type the words out properly."

Regarding the latest technical issues I brought up above, please what do I do next?

kat

Thanks for understanding, Saiba!

txtspk is really difficult for us old farts to get into, sometimes. :)

TheListener

saibaworld

Kindred

Ah. I see what happened.

You did the first import, but it failed part way through.
Now the second attempt is trying to import the same tables all over again...

So... you can either edit your SQL file to remvoe all the tables which have already been successfully imported and continue
or...   drop the failed first attempt tables and start the import again with an empty database. :)
Слaва
Украинi

The Domain Shop

If your going to be deleting bits of the sql file then make sure you have another copy of the original just in case you make a mess of it :P

Have you never backed your entire forum up through cPanel in the past? Restoring your entire forum from a previous backup and then running an upgrade would make your life a little easier.

saibaworld

Quote from: Kindred on June 11, 2013, 03:04:41 PM
Ah. I see what happened.

You did the first import, but it failed part way through.
Now the second attempt is trying to import the same tables all over again...

So... you can either edit your SQL file to remvoe all the tables which have already been successfully imported and continue
or...   drop the failed first attempt tables and start the import again with an empty database. :)

Thanks. I did drop the failed first attempt tables and started the import again with an empty database...but i still got an error message.

Quote from: 'Trax' on June 11, 2013, 05:15:57 PM
If your going to be deleting bits of the sql file then make sure you have another copy of the original just in case you make a mess of it :P

Have you never backed your entire forum up through cPanel in the past? Restoring your entire forum from a previous backup and then running an upgrade would make your life a little easier.

Thanks, that was the first thing i did.  ???

I have several backup copies of my forum via smf admin utility. I never knew until two days ago that there was an existing issue with backing up that way. No i have never backed up via my host's cpanel...but i now see the wisdom.
I made a terrible mistake and now paying for it plus dragging all you nice guys into my problem. So sorry about that. I guess if i'd come to this forum to ask a question or two before attempting the uninstall/install that i did, or at least even searched through the forum, perhaps things would've turned out quite differently ...

The Domain Shop

We all live and learn my friend and I'm sure people here are more than happy to help you when an where they can :)

You will more then likely get a number of errors with the sql file, you will just have to keep asking for advice on what you should and shouldn't be removing and dig your way through it until you manage to install it without issue.

Would it not be easier to pay for your host to restore the site and go from there?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

saibaworld

Hey guys, good morning...had to go get some little sleep.

Quote from: 'Trax' on June 11, 2013, 08:40:12 PM
We all live and learn my friend and I'm sure people here are more than happy to help you when an where they can :)

You will more then likely get a number of errors with the sql file, you will just have to keep asking for advice on what you should and shouldn't be removing and dig your way through it until you manage to install it without issue.

Would it not be easier to pay for your host to restore the site and go from there?
Thanks Trax. The upside of this problem is that i'm no longer too greek with databases. I can now navigate my phpmyadmin account and also understand databases, at least to a small extent. I'm a die-hard optimist in life, always looking for the good even in the rotten. Keeps me calm and sane all the time. I still have my host's restore in mind...probably look to them as a last resort, if it becomes obvious the backup copy i saved and trying to upload is truly 'rubbish'.

Quote from: Kindred on June 11, 2013, 11:56:15 PM
what error message did you get this time? :)
The error message i got, after editing the backup copy as i was advised and dropping all database tables again, was:

Error

SQL query:

INSERT INTO `smf_log_search_subjects` (`word`, `ID_TOPIC`) VALUES ('earn', 3200), ('earn', 3206), ('earn', 3225), ('earner', 3054), ('earnings', 3082), ('earth', 1275), ('earthquake', 440), ('earthquake', 536), ('earthquake', 551), ('earthquake', 2606), ('earthquake-ravaged', 462), ('ease', 952), ('ease', 1183), ('easil', 800), ('easily', 1162), ('easily', 3195), ('east', 1135), ('east', 1898), ('east', 3129), ('easter', 3188), ('easy', 306), ('easy', 424), ('easy', 653), ('easy', 864), ('eat', 2453), ('eating', 1497), ('ebay', 3147), ('echiejile', 3037), ('echo', 2602), ('ecobank', 1794), ('economist', 561), ('economy', 1380), ('economy', 1905), ('economy', 3186), ('ecowas', 1142), ('ecowas', 1431), ('ecowas', 1432), ('ecowas', 1433), ('ecpat', 1261), ('ed', 1232), ('eddie', 2971), ('editors', 173), ('edoho', 2930), ('education', 7), ('education', 30), ('education', 68), ('education', 359)[...]

#1062 - Duplicate entry 'enough-853' for key 1

I think it's the same message as i posted before...i suppose.

And people, least i forget, today's my birthday. Added one to my age early hours of today.  :D

kat

Let's hope your birthday's the day that this gets sorted-out, then!

Have a good one, either way!

saibaworld

Hey guys, my backup finally got imported (thanks to ziycon who worked through on it). I just got this message from phpmyadmin:

Import has been successfully finished, 46580 queries executed.

BUT when i visit my forum on the internet, i get this message:

Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'

Please what do i do now?

Kindred

ok... good news! :)

So, IIRC, you imported a 1.1.x database.

Now, you need to run upgrade.php on that database. :)
Слaва
Украинi

saibaworld

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2013, 11:13:43 AM
ok... good news! :)

So, IIRC, you imported a 1.1.x database.

Now, you need to run upgrade.php on that database. :)

Quote from: Kindred on June 10, 2013, 02:52:28 PM
you will want to DROP all tables in the new database before doing your import.

then, since your database was saved on 1.1.x, after you do the import, you need to get the upgrade,php and other upgrade SQL files form the large upgrade archive - put them in your smf directory and run upgrade.php

Okay, i do understand you perfectly well sir. I'll get to it immediately, and post my results here.

Thanks!!

kat

I must say that I admire both your and Mr. P's persistence, sometimes, Kindred.

Nice work, both. :)

saibaworld

:) But just so i dont make any mess of things, i want to confirm that the upgrade files i am to put in my smf directory are as listed below only, or are there more? They are the 6 obvious upgrade files l extracted from the smf large upgrade archive:

upgrade.php, upgrade_1-0.sql, upgrade_1-1.sql, upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql, upgrade_2-0_pstgresql.sql, AND upgrade_2-0_sqlite.sql.

Are there more or only these?

Kindred

those are the ones. :)  although, tehcnically you don't acutlaly need the pstgresql or sqlite ones, having them won't hurt and they will be removed at the end of the upgrade.
Слaва
Украинi

saibaworld

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY FORUM IS BACK ONLINE AND IN FULL AND COMPLETE SMF2.0.4 REGALIA

WHAT A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY GIFT YOU GUYS GAVE ME TODAY!

LOVE YOU ALL, ESPECIALLY ZIYCON! ZIY YOU'RE SUCH A GREAT DARLING!!

THANKS GUYS!!!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

saibaworld

Its great to help others out here! I think I'll delve more into smf details by reading up every bit of the SMF Online Manual.
Then, I'd love to apply to come help others on this forum too, the most I can.

So having such a great feeling...and looking to a great birthday gig tonight!
Loving SMF... :-*

kat

Have good gig, man!

Glad your birthday's turned-out well, thus far. :)

Illori

if you find anything that looks strange or needs to be clarified on the wiki, be sure to make a post here and someone will be sure to take a look or explain it better to you and edit the wiki as a result.

saibaworld

Quote from: K@ on June 12, 2013, 12:50:37 PM
Have good gig, man!

Glad your birthday's turned-out well, thus far. :)

Thanks K@

Quote from: Illori on June 12, 2013, 12:51:29 PM
if you find anything that looks strange or needs to be clarified on the wiki, be sure to make a post [url-http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=202.0]here[/url] and someone will be sure to take a look or explain it better to you and edit the wiki as a result.

Okay then, i sure would...but seems you're link is not active.

Thanks everyone!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Illori

ziycon

Chalky

Advertisement: