News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Simple Image and Board Notification mods.

Started by SDMCC, June 10, 2013, 08:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDMCC

I've installed two mods, Simple Image and Board Notification. All the indicators confirmed a successful installation, however I can't find anything in the admin center or anywhere else that tells me how to access and use these mods, do I have to activate them somewhere?

Help appreciated.

Kindred

1- please remember that mod support should be requested in the thread dedicated to supporting that mod... :)

that being said,
2- you did the mod test, and received all successful, and then continued with the apply mod?
The mod(s) now list as "installed" in your package manager list?
did the files actually get edited?
Take a look and parse the mod - confirm that the files which the mod was suposed to edit actually got edited on your server
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SDMCC

Yes I did the mod test, and received all successful, and then continued to the apply mods and are now listed as "installed" in my package manager list.

You asked, did the files actually get edited? No, what does that mean?

SDMCC

Kindred

Well, since you are here alreayd, let's determine if it is a mod problem , a user problem (missing something) or a system problem (the files were not edited)

to check the files... As I said - you need to parse the mod as if you were doing a manual install.
Find out which files were supposed to be edited and what code was supposed to be added or changed in those files...
then look on your site via FTP or your cpanel file manager and confirm that those files WERE actually edited as expected.

If they were - then you should head off to the mod support topic. :)
If they were not - then you have a system issue (probably with chown)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SDMCC

Bit of a novice with this side of things.

Don't  know what 'parse the mod' involves.

Is parse only to do with a forum installed on a PC?

Mine is on my host company (hostpapa) so I suppose it could be a chown issue.
Should I have edited before uploading, presumably that means choosing the appropriate file for installation on the server,

Kindred

no...
on most hosts, the mod packages install just fine.
In some cases, there are errors during the automatic process of an install which require manual edits..
in other cases, there are issues with file ownership (chown) which prevent the changes from being made to the files, even though the system THINKS it has done so.

On each mod download page, there is a dropbox to the side listed as "Manual Install Instructions for SMF..."
Click the "Parse" button for a full set of manual instructions for installing the mod.
Use those instructions to confirm if the edits were actually made to your files on your server (or not)
Слaва
Украинi

SDMCC

When I do the parse thing I get the following below, so am I right in thinking it's a matter of replacing the blue text with red text and where on the forum do I do it?

Find: [Select]
</head>
Replace With: [Select]

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://mod.postimage.org/smf-english.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
</head>

Kindred

you don't do it ON the forum...   you have to open the files on your server (using FTP or your cpanel's file manager) and check the CODE
Слaва
Украинi

SDMCC

Thank you, I'll do that tommorrow and I'll get back to you.

SDMCC

I have had an attempt at doing the above, however it's too difficult for me plus the fear of breaking it.

Is there away of uninstalling the packages and then reinstalling them in a more selective way?

Kindred

well, yes..     you should have an uninstall link next to each package in your package manager
Слaва
Украинi

SDMCC

I am looking at doing a manual install as I have successfully done one before.

The code to install is <script type="text/javascript" src="http://mod.postimage.org/smf-english.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
</head>

However, when I look in the index.template.php I find the above code already in there, so why isn't it working?

Kindred

is *ALL* the code in place?
and does that file actually exist in the location?
(just a note, putting a js file in the root seems like a poor choice.)
Слaва
Украинi

SDMCC

Yes, all the code is in place.
The file looks like this -

<modification xmlns="http://www.simplemachines.org/xml/modification" xmlns:smf="http://www.simplemachines.org/">
   <id>sium:postimage</id>
   <version>1.4.0</version>

<file name="$themedir/index.template.php">
      <operation>
         <search position="replace"><![CDATA[</head>]]></search>
         <add><![CDATA[
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://mod.postimage.org/smf-english.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
</head>]]></add>
      </operation>
   </file>
</modification>

The index.template.php of that area only shows.

echo '

</head>
<body>';
}

Kindred

and is the file actually there?

As I said, putting a javascript file into the root of your forum seems like a poor decision on the part of the mod. It should normally be added into the scripts directory in the /themes/default folder...
Слaва
Украинi

SDMCC

I think it is there, however will you please clarify for me exactly where to find it, in case I'm in error.

Your comments about the content of the code I imagine can't be changed, however it does appear to work for some.

Kindred

in your file manager, confirm that
smf-english.js is present at  mod.postimage.org
Слaва
Украинi

SDMCC

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2013, 09:58:43 AM
in your file manager, confirm that
smf-english.js is present at mod.postimage.org

When you say "file manager" do you mean, Manage and Install, Theme Settings, Member Options, Modify Themes.
If so can you direct me please to exactly where I should look for mod.postimage.org or should it just be postimage.org.

Thanks, a novice.

Kindred

ok... I think things are getting confusing here...

when I say file manager, I mean your HOST file manager.
There is no real file manager in SMF.

However, something has occured to me.
is postimage.org your site?
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: