On-line Today & Global Announcents/Stickies should now be features?

Started by rhizome, September 25, 2005, 06:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhizome

Given the difficulty with the two very popular mods by Fasan, and the recent unfortunate fallout, maybe the SMF developers need to think about making the features of these two mods a standard part of SMF, given the huge number of downloads both mods have got in the past?

Many professional forum packages these days have these features as standard. And it would make support issues a lot easier, especially during upgrades

No disrespect to Fasan for his excellent work. But when significant mods such as these become inaccessible (for whatever reason), they severely let down SMF and its community. It hardly gives a professional image to SMF, which is otherwise well deserved. And it has left current users very frustrated :(

I may be out of line posting this message, and I apologize for doing so. I hope my comments aren't taken the wrong way. I'm only thinking of the wider SMF community and its development, not individuals.

What do others think?

ps. This suggestion is being made on the basis that Fasan has permanently removed his mods from this site - if not then please ignore/delete this message

Ben_S

I wouldn't mind similar functionality to announcments and superstickies built in. I try not to install mods personally as I generally like to stick to an unmodified board as much as possible.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Compuart

I'm not familiar with the mods specifically (I have seem them a lot around though), but I can imagine what the mods did. Also, since they were very popular, I guess that could be a reason for them to be build-in features. Or at least something similar...
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Ivan Minic

To improve them and bulit them in.
There is a problem with Online Today feature.. if you have lets say 1500 users online it will take much time to load and will make index page 150kb bigger.
Also about super sticky and global announcents.. maybe a bit graphical improvment would be ok.. a way to devide sticky topic part from regular topic.. maybe differen cell background or (like i made) a fat line between these two...

Ben_S

Ooops never noticed online today mentioned, I certainly wouldn't use that one personally but small boards might like it.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Elijah Bliss

Agreed. At the very least, Global Announcements and Super Stickies should be built in and improved upon (get clean up all the errors and the separate global announcements from the Message Index).

redone

I agree with most of what's been said. Running a small board the online users today is popular and these mod's are actually available from Fasan's new site here:

http://www.smitalia.net/community/index.php

Dannii

These could be nice as features.

The online users today would not be a big drag on the server if it was cached on the server. And for big boards you probably wouldn't want it anyway because it would be too long.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Ivan Minic

Well it might be modified to show on new page full list of users and just to have a link on index.. i tried something like that and it works but it isn't perfect solution... i still have a page with 300-400kb but it opens only when people really want to see who visited today

rhizome

It would good so you could manually order the list of superstickies too

Advertisement: