"See (and act) only in own topics" possible?

Started by sangham.net, June 19, 2013, 12:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sangham.net

Dear SMF friends and supporters,

I just thought if it would be possible to make just own topics for specific members or on specific forums visible. That would be a great tool for personal guidance to keep some privacy on personal issues.

Is such possible?

Thanks in advance!

Kindred

no.

although you could look at
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3094
or simpledesk...

what you are asking really defeats the very purpose of a forum...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sangham.net

Kindred

Quotewhat you are asking really defeats the very purpose of a forum...
Why? If you have a subforum just for some members its the same for a small group. And the PM is the other extreme. Topic only visible for a certain group and the member him self is not that bad, except that he would not have support from other members at his level (but also not be disturbed).

Of course it has some danger by misuse, but generally, I don't thinks so. If you would run a "claim" section for example, such would be useful.
Thought on the tool of PM, it is more in direction of forum as the most are actually used. I am sure the PM stream is on some places bigger that the forum posts.

Thanks for the link to the mod, that is also a nice idea and would be a possibility with setting further permissions and structures I guess.

Thanks a lot anyway.

Kindred

oh... you just want a post made into a specific board with staff access?
That's not what your original requets was... you stated that you wanted staff PLUS the original poster to also be able to see the post, but no one else...   

If you just want the post made, and you don't care about the original poster, then no problem - I already answered this same question a day or two ago.
Use the custom forms mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

What about setting up boards and setting them for just certain membergroups?
That way, guests and members from other groups can not see what's there.
That's going to be the closest you are going to get. Unless someone makes a mod.

Kindred

then you would need a separate board for each and every user....

If you need a user to be able to open and post to a thread which can also be read and responded to by a "staff" group, then you want something like SimpleDesk. (essentially, you have requested a help-desk/ticketing system)

If you just need to have a user make a post which can be read and discussed by the "staff" group, but you don't need the original user to be able to see or post to it (e.g. a contact form or "report an issue" form) then you can use the custom forms mod to set up a form which will be submitted and posted to the staff-only board.
Слaва
Украинi

sangham.net

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 19, 2013, 01:23:38 PM
What about setting up boards and setting them for just certain membergroups?
That way, guests and members from other groups can not see what's there.
That's going to be the closest you are going to get. Unless someone makes a mod.
Thanks for the hint BurkeKnight,

Well that would be the first step, for sure and that I am aware of and use it also. But within this group, there might be more private issues, which should be only kept between the "teacher" or "mentor" and the "client".

For example if you have a meditation group, you would make periodical personal session. You could make that via PM of cause, but there would be no control of other "teacher" and some danger for the "client". In this way such would help. The "client" or costumer, maybe in a personal lawyer counseling section (to bring another sample) would have the security that others can prove and investigate if somethings goes wrong but would have some privacy (as other clients could not see it). Or if you run a health board, you would not like to have your problems be discussed with other patients. If you do such via PM, there would be no control, or one would need to use a prove and check process (which would cause direct responsibility and involved)

Such could be used for a forum-claim section as well, for example. Or for a complaint section, if you sell products via your board.
I guess it would be good for the management as well. Its like if you let your stuff work, but the post run's always across your table. (you have the view on what is going on in personal issues)

And with it, the disturbing PM, would be history on a "real" forum.

Quote from: Kindred on June 19, 2013, 01:20:51 PM
oh... you just want a post made into a specific board with staff access?
That's not what your original requets was... you stated that you wanted staff PLUS the original poster to also be able to see the post, but no one else...   

If you just want the post made, and you don't care about the original poster, then no problem - I already answered this same question a day or two ago.
Use the custom forms mod.

Thanks Kindred,

I guess that does not match it, but it could be misused for such of course.

sangham.net

I have accident seen that vBulletin runs such a possibility. Its used to contact the mods. So just the topic starter and all mods would see the OP and its stream within such a board.

Maybe you like to think about such. It would be a real good way to make forums more transparent in regard of communication between the "stuff" and the members without the danger to cause anybody losing face.

Suki

The link posted doesn't really cover all possible places where a message can be seen. This covers a wider range: https://github.com/MissAllSunday/PrivateTopic

I'm unsure if you want the OP to keep seeing the topic or not but it can be done,
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

sangham.net

Thank you very much Suki, for your care and suggestion. I guess Kindred had made a similar suggestion. It would cover extreme demand for privacy within a board and is therefore, like the thought of Kindred was as well, much against a forums purpose.

But anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestion and I am sure its a great mod.

Angelina Belle

Johann B,

It sounds like the posters here have answered your questions
1) SMF does not, natively, do what you are seeking
2) Helpdesk has some of the features you wish
3) Miss All Sunday's private topic mod has some of the features you wish.

Because you have these answers, I would like to mark this topic solved, and encourage you to work with mod writers to build in the exact customizations you need to provide the services your forum users need.

Would that be OK?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

sangham.net

Dear AngelinaBelle,

Thanks for your hints. I hope it does not sound strange, but in that case I would suggest to move it into "Feature Requests" Subforum, as from my view, it is a very needed possibility to make a very transparent forum and not just a PM and backdoor leaded, leaded by a close team with aims and it would open many serious clients a door to use it.
Its really not that much just a personal wish. What ever is there is good to use already.

So please see it as a request, to have it moved there, if such is possible for you.

Thanks a lot.

So after this, how ever your decision might be, it is indeed solved here in the Support-Area and thanks a lot for all the care and effort already done.

Arantor

Do not bother moving this to feature requests. It will not be added to SMF 2.1, it is unlikely 3.0 will have it either. Forums are designed for communication. If you want 1:1 or 1:M communication, use a tool dedicated for that job rather than trying to undermine a tool firmly not designed for it. I.e. use a help desk.

Angelina Belle

Johann,

Based on this information from the development team, I would suggest to you that you try out the suggested mods above.
If either one is somewhat close, I suggest you make a feature request to the mod's authors, and find out if they are interested in the type of feature you want.
While it might be possible that a future version of SMF might make it easier to develop the feature you want, it is unlikely that this will ever be a core feature of SMF.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

sangham.net

Quote from: Arantor on October 16, 2013, 08:51:36 AM
Do not bother moving this to feature requests. It will not be added to SMF 2.1, it is unlikely 3.0 will have it either. Forums are designed for communication. If you want 1:1 or 1:M communication, use a tool dedicated for that job rather than trying to undermine a tool firmly not designed for it. I.e. use a help desk.
Arantor, I am not sure if your really understand. But well. Let's PM... so everybody can cook his soup. PM is for sure better and really forum directed...
Really not sure which kind of trauma might behind here. Its clear visible that most who had answered here did not understand at the first place but suggested things which are of course not forum friendly.

Somebody who do not know your good intention would sometimes assume you as dictatory.  :) That's fine as long you stay open.

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on October 16, 2013, 10:46:06 AM
Johann,

Based on this information from the development team, I would suggest to you that you try out the suggested mods above.
If either one is somewhat close, I suggest you make a feature request to the mod's authors, and find out if they are interested in the type of feature you want.
While it might be possible that a future version of SMF might make it easier to develop the feature you want, it is unlikely that this will ever be a core feature of SMF.

Thanks a lot AngelinaBelle.
Actually I am not a big friend of those personalization, inter-socialization and intimate "my best friends" mods.

Unlikely why? That is actually a way you could benefit here much as well. You would open the feedback and problem solving form "costumers" which are easy not open to it, as there is a hard front between runners and uses and no way to have a objective base overview (as all such stuff is running via PM) as well as no objective control of misuse of certain mods and admins (as such is running via directed PM). You could even shut down PM as a whole and run a real forum not to speak of the practical use in all kind of support work.
And from my understanding, it might be not much of programming as there are not really additional variables necessary.

Kindred

Johann,

One of the developers has said no...   and I will reiterate as Project Manager.   No.

There is no need for this to be in the core product.

It defeats the very purpose of a forum.

However, there are at least two mods which do something close to what you have asked for...   so, do as Angelina has suggested and ask the mod author to extend it, if it doesn't do what you want...
Слaва
Украинi

Angelina Belle

The most common way for new core features to make it into SMF is for the community to beg for them in mods.
Then you see development of several competing mods.
Then, if the idea catches on very big, you see development of some of the underlying things needed to build such a mod.

Even so, some of the most popular mod ideas (portals and blogs, for example) never make it into the core of SMF.  But current versions have been built, and future versions are expected to be built with some provisions that make it a little easier to develop such mods for SMF.

I see you wish to persuade developers to put this feature in. To build interest in such a feature, I suggest you get a good mod on your website, and show it off to other admins, who will want it for their website --- and so on.

I think that just about covers anything useful I can say on the subject, so I hope you won't mind if I bow out of this discussion at this time.

Good luck to you as you work to build exactly the kind of website you want for your users.

All the best.

Arantor

QuoteLet's PM... so everybody can cook his soup. PM is for sure better and really forum directed...

Let's not waste each others' time with a discussion that won't go anywhere.

You have made it clear that you want a setup whereby someone can open a topic and act in it and not involve the rest of the community, except for forum staff. This is a classic 1:M situation. (PM, on the other hand is implicitly 1:1 and there are various underlying issues around using PMs anyway for that kind of thing)

The forum does not work this way and will not work this way. I'm not being funny but in case you hadn't noticed, that badge by my name does mean I have a responsibility towards SMF's development.

SMF is designed for building a community. A place where everyone who participates has a voice. The situation you are envisaging conflicts with that ideal. Even putting aside that aspect of it, there are grave practical issues (like seriously hurting performance *everywhere*) to implement what you're asking for, and I WILL NOT screw up performance for everyone at the cost of providing a minor feature to a minority.

The helpdesk mod directly and specifically fosters the environment you want. I should know, I built the thing.

QuoteSomebody who do not know your good intention would sometimes assume you as dictatory. 

Given my position on the matter, I'm absolutely fine with that, because in this case I AM being such.

Someone who does not know your good intention would sometimes assume you incapable of understanding what's being said to you. That's fine as long as you stay open too.

sangham.net

Very good and thanks for your recollection:

QuoteYou have made it clear that you want a setup whereby someone can open a topic and act in it and not involve the rest of the community, except for forum staff.

Yes. And the whole forum stuff, that is important.

QuoteThe forum does not work this way and will not work this way. I'm not being funny but in case you hadn't noticed, that badge by my name does mean I have a responsibility towards SMF's development.

I assume always a group and I assume that wise inputs and good counts have influence. Even it might be in the backstage. It's just that you sound sometimes different. Don't worry, I know you a little.

As for the forum, it is actually a way in direction of more forum not otherwise. Even if you don't trust my intentions. Check it out your self. Are the main and cutting things today managed via the forum, or via PM in the back?
PM is a forum enemy, so it is with groups and borders to direct approach the team and have it "controlled" by each other in a good an health way.

QuoteSMF is designed for building a community. A place where everyone who participates has a voice.

That is exactly the point why I encourage you to develop such rather then to invest in PM issues. Today if I really like to talk, I have to walk in the backstage, if hunters are around or mobbing would be used. Such could not happen, as well as pulling under the stuff would not happen and the stuff would be informed. You could even turn down or outsource the whole moderator section, which is also internal, in this way. I guess it would make the whole programming stuff easier in regard of permissions.

QuoteGiven my position on the matter, I'm absolutely fine with that, because in this case I AM being such.

Such is good in a demo-crazy environment. No problem as long as the dictator has good people on side how are a match for him and can bring him down in moments fixations of "IT IS LIKE THAT AN NOT OTHERWISE" arises.  :) Such happens and I am sure that you need a very trusted one, to bring you out of such a state.

How every, really no problem as such is nevertheless better as "wishy-washy lets see how our moods are today" ruling.

QuoteSomeone who does not know your good intention would sometimes assume you incapable of understanding what's being said to you. That's fine as long as you stay open too.

Right intention comes from Right View (understanding). Everybody would always do in his best intention, according to his understanding. Even a thief do so. Right View is not easy to figure out but most indicate that a person could follow right view is his material independence (weather status, material wealth and other conditions) and his virtue. Such is not easy to observe. Takes a long time for somebody in doubt and is only accessible for somebody with proper attention, not for one with no proper attention.

So the point here is mostly about SMF intention, and I tell you, that it is in direction more forum and lesser backstage and sub-socializing as well a door to build a better team and management behind.

Taken that we should not waste to much time here, I tell you that it was not wasted at all. One could even win insight and good intentions would be natural.

O:)  :laugh:

sangham.net

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on October 16, 2013, 11:13:49 AM
The most common way for new core features to make it into SMF is for the community to beg for them in mods.
Then you see development of several competing mods.
Then, if the idea catches on very big, you see development of some of the underlying things needed to build such a mod.

Even so, some of the most popular mod ideas (portals and blogs, for example) never make it into the core of SMF.  But current versions have been built, and future versions are expected to be built with some provisions that make it a little easier to develop such mods for SMF.

I see you wish to persuade developers to put this feature in. To build interest in such a feature, I suggest you get a good mod on your website, and show it off to other admins, who will want it for their website --- and so on.

I think that just about covers anything useful I can say on the subject, so I hope you won't mind if I bow out of this discussion at this time.

Good luck to you as you work to build exactly the kind of website you want for your users.

All the best.
AngelinaBelle,

I am really grateful for all your hints, actually personally I am seldom really greedy after this or that and in fact SMF offers already so much, that such would be really improper. Not to speak about even begging for personal gain. So really more than kind but I don't think that I would use the "election" ways.

QuoteI hope you won't mind if I bow out of this discussion at this time.

No problem, thanks a lot for all your hints and time!!

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2013, 11:04:23 AM
Johann,

One of the developers has said no...   and I will reiterate as Project Manager.   No.

There is no need for this to be in the core product.

It defeats the very purpose of a forum.

However, there are at least two mods which do something close to what you have asked for...   so, do as Angelina has suggested and ask the mod author to extend it, if it doesn't do what you want...

I know, Kindred, I know.... Thanks a lot anyhow to declare your position and "fetters" but maybe as more as a manager and lesser an managed one or solving one you should inspect it a little more, as it is exactly best for such.

Advertisement: