Like Posts

Started by vbgamer45, June 29, 2013, 09:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndays

Thank you for your continuous feedback.

@Joker™

Some samples :

João (ã)
Informação (ç and ã)

At least this 2.

Best regards,

Joker™

Quote from: lawr on July 27, 2014, 05:53:55 AM
But why would someone use a mod for a likes system when it is built in already in 2.1? This is why I was wondering about a converter.
Karma system is there in 2.0, still there are mods like 'Good post bad post', 'Advance Reputation system' & 'Like Posts'. Why? Because the core functionality can't provide you with everything, but in a mod, one can add/remove the code as per needs.

Truly, its up to you guys about which system you want to use in SMF 2.1, but a few posts ago only, a user has asked me whether I can write a converter to convert the 'Good post bad post' data to 'Like posts'. So, you should be asking SMF team for a converter to convert data from like posts mod to there like system.


Quote from: johndays on July 27, 2014, 07:14:17 AM
Thank you for your continuous feedback.

@Joker™

Some samples :

João (ã)
Informação (ç and ã)

At least this 2.

Best regards,
Thanks for the info, will be trying it out soon.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

johndays

Ok, thank you very much, I will be looking forward for your feedback.

Good job!

Arantor

Why should the team be responsible for supporting mods, exactly? The point being made is that 2.1 supports likes - but it's not SMF's responsibility to import likes from the various like mods that are out there. If you want to offer a converter, that's up to you.
No good deed goes unpunished / All helpful urges should be circumvented

I have something to say: it's better to burn out than to fade away. There can be only one.

MechSpecs

Quote from: ‽ on July 27, 2014, 09:05:38 AM
Why should the team be responsible for supporting mods, exactly? The point being made is that 2.1 supports likes - but it's not SMF's responsibility to import likes from the various like mods that are out there. If you want to offer a converter, that's up to you.

I think the answer to that is easy; 2.1 supports Likes... Great... for users that will be using 2.1. For those who won't upgrade, whether because their site themes aren't compatible or whether its because they have 100k posts or whether they just don't feel like messing with an upgrade or not, then this mod will definitely come in handy as it adds the functionality without a major overhaul.

Scalpel versus Sledgehammer approach.

Arantor

That's not the point I'm getting at. Yes, this mod will be fine for those who remain on 2.0. However, for those that upgrade, using a mod leaves them out in the cold - and people are suggesting that the team should fix that for all possible permutations, which really isn't the team's responsibility.
No good deed goes unpunished / All helpful urges should be circumvented

I have something to say: it's better to burn out than to fade away. There can be only one.

MechSpecs

Quote from: ‽ on July 27, 2014, 11:18:17 AM
That's not the point I'm getting at. Yes, this mod will be fine for those who remain on 2.0. However, for those that upgrade, using a mod leaves them out in the cold - and people are suggesting that the team should fix that for all possible permutations, which really isn't the team's responsibility.

Ok fair point.

The TEAM should not fix it. The mod author, if he so chooses, should fix it.

Saying the team should fix it is like saying GM should fix every car adapter plugin for the iPhone.

MaryLouW

Great mod!!!  How can I change the color of the button from red to blue? 

M4R1O

Quote from: MaryLouW on July 28, 2014, 04:14:41 AM
Great mod!!!  How can I change the color of the button from red to blue?

the same question here...

Joker™

Quote from: MaryLouW on July 28, 2014, 04:14:41 AM
Great mod!!!  How can I change the color of the button from red to blue? 

Quote from: M4R1O on July 28, 2014, 04:46:07 AM
Quote from: MaryLouW on July 28, 2014, 04:14:41 AM
Great mod!!!  How can I change the color of the button from red to blue?

the same question here...

Themes/default_theme/css/LikePosts.css (make backup of file before editing it)
Code (Make changes in background/color, as per your liking) Select

.like_unlike_link {
background: #C44E19;
padding: 1px 5px;
color: #fff !important;
position: relative;
}



#To everyone
Have I said anywhere about this mod is going or not to support 2.1? Currently, my motivation towards SMF is pretty low, so a few more baseless posts, can force me to do something pretty foolish :)
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Arantor

You said yourself you would make the mod compatible with 2.1 once released.

As for the team, I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you that it is the team's responsibility to provide a converter for all the disparate like mods just because 2.1 has it built in, especially as what 2.1 provides is not specific to messages but potentially any content, it was written to be as generic as possible.
No good deed goes unpunished / All helpful urges should be circumvented

I have something to say: it's better to burn out than to fade away. There can be only one.

ryan_dwight

Is there any option to disable the like one the smf 2,1 and continue using this mod instead?

Because the thing is our members has already accumulated thousands of likes and they earned it. Going back to zero will be a frustration to them.

Arantor

The mod would have to support doing that which is even more work than having an importer.
No good deed goes unpunished / All helpful urges should be circumvented

I have something to say: it's better to burn out than to fade away. There can be only one.

MaryLouW

Thank you!!! Works like a charm... I now have a nice blue Like button!!!

MechSpecs

If I can make a suggestion Joker...

Split the LIKE/UNLIKE button CSS entry in to two different ones

Have a LIKE entry and an UNLIKE entry; this way people can differentiate between colors or image backgrounds depending on of it is a like or an unlike option.

MaryLouW

One more question.  Could the color code be replaced with an image such as a thumbs up or down?  Not that I want to do that right now, but it's becoming far more popular throughout the net than the Like button.  Most of the news comment sections and YouTube use the thumbs up and down instead of the words. 

MechSpecs

Quote from: MaryLouW on July 28, 2014, 06:23:18 PM
One more question.  Could the color code be replaced with an image such as a thumbs up or down?  Not that I want to do that right now, but it's becoming far more popular throughout the net than the Like button.  Most of the news comment sections and YouTube use the thumbs up and down instead of the words.

This can easily be done if the CSS is split in two. You can have a background image with a thumbup and a thumbdown beside the word. Code would look something like...


.LikeButton {
    background: url('https://blahblahblah.com/like_button.png') no-repeat scroll left top #7B96BB;
    border: 1px solid #7B96BB;
}



.UnLikeButton {
    background: url('https://blahblahblah.com/unlike_button.png') no-repeat scroll left top #7B96BB;
    border: 1px solid #7B96BB;
}


This way you could set a bar with a thumb-down behind the word or a thumb-up behind the word, change the colors of each etc. etc.

MaryLouW

Thanks so much!!!  I have copied and pasted this info for safe keeping.  Since I just installed it last night, I want to wait a few days and let people get used to it, then I'll change it to a graphic.  We are a graphic forum so that will better suit our community.

Appreciate the help!!!

Joker™

Quote from: MechSpecs on July 28, 2014, 06:16:41 PM
If I can make a suggestion Joker...

Split the LIKE/UNLIKE button CSS entry in to two different ones

Have a LIKE entry and an UNLIKE entry; this way people can differentiate between colors or image backgrounds depending on of it is a like or an unlike option.
Will keep that in mind for next version.


Quote from: MaryLouW on July 28, 2014, 06:23:18 PM
One more question.  Could the color code be replaced with an image such as a thumbs up or down?  Not that I want to do that right now, but it's becoming far more popular throughout the net than the Like button.  Most of the news comment sections and YouTube use the thumbs up and down instead of the words. 
Ahh, I'm not a fan of graphics. But, it seems like MechSpecs solution can help you out.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

MechSpecs

Quote from: MaryLouW on July 29, 2014, 01:29:13 AM
Thanks so much!!!  I have copied and pasted this info for safe keeping.  Since I just installed it last night, I want to wait a few days and let people get used to it, then I'll change it to a graphic.  We are a graphic forum so that will better suit our community.

Appreciate the help!!!

My method would only work if he has both a like and an unlike call in the CSS. Right now it is only using one so you would only be able to have one graphic image. If he does split it in future versions then you could use different background images with words on top of them or even without any words at all.

Advertisement: