News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Robots.txt file not Found!!

Started by timidapsin, July 02, 2013, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timidapsin

Please how can i create a Robots.txt file for my site?

Kindred

ummm.... create a file called robots.txt and put your robots commands in it....

if you want more detailed assistance, you really have to ask much more specific questions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

timidapsin

how do i create the robots file and what commands do i put in it?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

If all you want to do at this point is get rid of the logged error messages about /robots.txt not found, an empty file will work for you. Use your hosting control panel to create and edit the file, if you don't know how to use Notepad or any other PC editor (and how to upload a file). Make sure the name is exactly robots.txt and it's in your site root (/), not the forum root or any other place.

Later, after reading up on the subject, you can put stuff in /robots.txt to control how search engines crawl your site. There's been lots of discussion on this forum. Keep in mind that /robots.txt is only a suggestion; bots are free to ignore it, so don't expect to use it for any kind of security.

Advertisement: