News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum glitches from the word "Poker"?

Started by gavengi, July 05, 2013, 07:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavengi

Have encountered a strange problem (or maybe it's not so strange?) with my SMF forum at hxxp:jollycorpse.com/forums/index.php [nonactive]

Typing the word "poker" into any post, whether new, editing, or replying, seems to glitch the forum when submitted. It doesn't appear to be a feature, as the post you've just written vanishes and you're taken to "start a new topic" with a blank text area. I've never encountered this before, and it seems to be only this word. There's no censorship on the forum currently, so I have no clue what's causing it.  ???

We're a game development group, and I wouldn't have ever noticed this except one of the new projects we're starting uses poker chips in its prototype phase. Visitors will thus likely need to use the word to talk about the game. If you go to Domain: Lords of Ether>Development>Print and Play you'll see one of the places I tried to write "poker" where it says "20x Ether Tokens (_____ chips of x colors, or x denominations of coin work well)"

Searched for people having the same problem but couldn't find anything. Anyone know if there's something I can do about this?  :-\

Kindred

Have your host turn off mod_security...  It is a stupid thing and none of the hosts who use it seem to have it configured correctly
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gavengi

My website's host? What's mod_security? Is that something I might have access to in my control panel?

TheListener

Quote from: gavengi on July 05, 2013, 08:45:34 PM
My website's host? What's mod_security? Is that something I might have access to in my control panel?

Where is the webite hosted?

The mod_security is handled by the hosts and is NOT (AFAIK) on your control panel.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

gavengi

Quote from: vbgamer45 on July 05, 2013, 08:52:10 PM
Check out
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Mod_security_-_Having_problems_with_mod_security

Great article - it appears this is exactly what is happening. Unfortunately, editing my .htaccess file doesn't seem to solve the problem...

Quote from: Old Fossil on July 05, 2013, 08:49:58 PM
Quote from: gavengi on July 05, 2013, 08:45:34 PM

Where is the webite hosted?

The mod_security is handled by the hosts and is NOT (AFAIK) on your control panel.

We're on hxxp:webhostingpad.com [nonactive] - as the above didn't seem to work I may have to ask them for help...

TheListener

A search for a better host would be more worth your while.

gavengi

Quote from: Old Fossil on July 05, 2013, 09:08:46 PM
A search for a better host would be more worth your while.
Can't speak to their quality on a technical level, but we've been with them for years and never had a problem. I don't currently have time to research hosts and then move the entire website.

Kindred

jut ask them to turn off mod_security.

(allowing you to do so in htaccess was a long shot. most hosts wouldn't allow that either)

If they do turn it off for you... no problem, everything is good (except that your host needs to learn how to configure things like that or even not to use the silly thing). If they turned it off, then they are a fine host...  they are responsive to your needs,
If they won't turn it off, then you have issues and may need to find a better host.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: