"A new member has joined" years later after they actually registered

Started by _Jojo_, July 04, 2013, 03:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Jojo_

I just got an e-mail from my board saying that "A new member has joined" for a memeber that has been posting for the first time in years. How can this happen? I didn't deactivate their account or anything, so I wonder why I get such a mail after they decide to return to the forum some years later.

Colin

Is this the only time that it has happened. I don't remember if there is a link in that email to the profile, if so, does the profile ID correspond with the older member?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Illori

maybe the user reset their password? i am not sure if that can trigger the email to be sent out or not.

_Jojo_

Quote from: Colin on July 04, 2013, 04:20:59 PM
Is this the only time that it has happened. I don't remember if there is a link in that email to the profile, if so, does the profile ID correspond with the older member?
Yes, it's definitely the old member account and ID. I can also not remember ever having received sign-up messages for memembers that have been posting before.

Quotemaybe the user reset their password? i am not sure if that can trigger the email to be sent out or not.
Well, that's exactly what I want to know - in which cases is such a mail being sent out? From my understanding of the mail's wording, it should ever only be sent out on sign-up.

Chalky

Maybe the member found their original activation email and clicked on the link  :-\

Colin

If it happened once, I probably wouldn't worry about it. If it does happen again then let's investigate.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

_Jojo_

Quote from: ChalkCat on July 04, 2013, 06:30:50 PM
Maybe the member found their original activation email and clicked on the link  :-\
But why would the forum send a new signup mail to me then? I thought the mail is being sent when the member registers, not when they activate their account.

QuoteIf it happened once, I probably wouldn't worry about it. If it does happen again then let's investigate.
I'm not really worrying, I'm just curious and pointing out a potential bug.

Chalky

I get the same email twice for each new member, once when they register and again when they click the activation link  ;)

Advertisement: