News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How can I use full HTML in topics?

Started by toqeer, July 18, 2013, 10:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toqeer

I want to use HTML in writting new topics. is there any mod or any thing that will help me.
Thanks in advance.

Irisado

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=HTML;bool=and;asc;start=0

This is just an initial search I've performed, which may help, but I'm sure that you'll be able to do a more precise one to suit your needs.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

shadow82x

What do you want to use full html for?

As an admin you can use the html bbc codes. But I believe that's only for basic html elements.
[html][/html]
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Kindred

Do you mean use html in topic here? (after all, you asked this in the site comments board, which is about the simplemachines.org site)

The answer is that you can not.

If you mean your OWN site, pleas eindicated what version you are using...
And the answer is that - if you are the admin, you can use the HTML BBC tags...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Alphabetical_list_of_all_bulletin_board_codes
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/HTML

However, this does beg the question...      what are you trying to do that you THINK you need to use actual HTML in a post?

Irisado, I don't think that this belongs in the mod requests board...   I think it belongs in support (once the user tells us what version they are asking for support with)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Irisado

I couldn't decide whether it was Support or Mod Requests, so took a 50/50 shot.  Feel free to move it again, or I can, to the appropriate Support board, once we have more information :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

MrPhil

You can enable the use of some basic HTML tags (<i>, <b>, etc.) by everyone. The admin (ONLY) can use [html] tags to use arbitrary HTML in any post. This power is not given to just anyone, because it can easily be abused to introduce malicious code. So, what are you trying to accomplish that can't be done with BBCode tags?

And if this is for posting here, the reason not to allow HTML is given above.

toqeer

Thanks To All For Reply.
By Full HTML I Meant Not Basic HTML.
And Kindred I Want To Use HTML On my forum. as admin of the forum.
What Is HTML BBC tags?

toqeer

Ok Thanks.
But My Problem Is Not Solved. I Want To Use HTML Like In Wordpress, Blogger ETC.

Illori

if you want to use html you need to use the bbc first, otherwise you can not. no other way around it.

kat

OK... Let's see what we can figure-out...

What is it that you want to do, specifically?

Include html in all posts? Or, just one?

If so, to do what, exactly?

MrPhil

Is there something specific you want to put in a post, but the existing BBCode tag library does not handle it, and neither do the basic HTML tags that can be allowed? Have you looked in the "mods" library for additional BBCode tags you can add (e.g., YouTube [yt])? Is this something very specific that's needed, or are you looking for the full power of HTML? Remember, the more HTML ability you give to anyone (including the Admin), the greater the chances that it will be misused, whether accidentally or maliciously. Also consider whether this additional ability belongs in a post or should it be somewhere else on the page (think using a Portal with HTML or BBCode blocks). Help us out here... where are you trying to get to?

toqeer

I had searched all mods dear Mrphill.
Dear Actually I have a blog on blogger I uploaded many files and important links in many posts.  But now i am trying to delete these posts from blogger and post these posts on my forum. Making these posts was very time consuming so I am trying to find a way to just copy HTML from blogger and post it on my forum. But it does not work.
Any Help Will Be Great Or I will have to do that large work again.

MrPhil

Ah, so you have lots of posts with arbitrary HTML in them that you wish to import into SMF? Are these Administrator-only posts, or will they be owned by random members? If Admin-only, you could wrap [html]...[/html] tags around them (each full post), to permit any HTML to be used within them. If you're the Admin, that might be the least work.

How are you looking to transfer these posts over to SMF? Are you going to cut and paste them from either the blog or from phpMyAdmin, or do you have some setup to create posts from a backup (.sql) file or even directly from the database? In the latter case, it would probably be fairly easy to insert some code to process the post before creating a new SMF post. If your HTML was fairly basic, the code should be able to automatically turn most HTML into the equivalent BBCode, although it will be more than just turning < > into [ ]. If you used a lot of fancy HTML, automatic conversion could be difficult and might not be worth the effort for a one-off job. If you're cutting and pasting, you would have to build a PHP utility that you drop the HTML markup into one window and out pops the BBCode in another, ready to paste into your forum.

One last thing to keep in mind: if text from Word or Outlook was pasted into your blog, it may contain "Smart Quotes" (single and double opening and closing quotes, en and em dashes, etc.). If you in turn paste them into a (default) Latin-1 encoded forum, they will not display properly. Be aware of the character encoding used in the blog, in anything used as source for the blog, and your forum.

Kindred

your best bet is to actually take the time to format them correctly for a forum....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

toqeer

I am admin but dear MrPhil it "you could wrap ... tags around them" does not worked.
I think I should start Writing it manually.

Irisado

Quote from: Kindred on July 19, 2013, 02:48:56 PM
your best bet is to actually take the time to format them correctly for a forum....

Would that code converter we used a few years ago for changing articles from HTML to BBcode be of any use in this instance?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Irisado

In that case.....

toqeer: You might find this code converter of some help: http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/.  I attach a very important caveat to using this though, and that is that it may remove code completely, or not change everything as you might expect.  In other words, it is not totally reliable, and it is safer to change the coding manually, but if you want to take the risk, then using the converter is an option.

toqeer

Advertisement: