News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

phpbb problem

Started by moggy4, July 21, 2013, 03:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moggy4

Newbie and maybe a stupid question

I have downloaded a copy of my  phpbb  forum including data base from my old hosting account(which is now CLOSED) onto my desktop.
My new hosting account is with godaddy and is windows so i need to use simple machine.
can i convert or is there some way to import the old posts, d/b ,from my desktop into my new simple machines forum.
any help appreciated
Moggy4

Colin

Hi Moggy4,

Welcome to SMF. Just to clarify you will need to reinstall the PHPBB software in order to convert. Sorry about that.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

kat

UGH! Well spotted, Colin! I missed the bit about the account being closed. :(

emanuele

Re-install is not really needed...at least with all the other converters is not necessary, you just need the database restored (that obviously yes) and the configuration file (that may even be faked to contain just the minimum data necessary to deal with db authentication). ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

moggy4

Quote from: emanuele on July 22, 2013, 12:29:10 PM
Re-install is not really needed...at least with all the other converters is not necessary, you just need the database restored (that obviously yes) and the configuration file (that may even be faked to contain just the minimum data necessary to deal with db authentication). ;)
Thank you for your replies
Enanuele  Is there a post or any help to how to achieve this ?

emanuele

I don't know...and don't think so.

You can import the database from phpmyadmin (unless it is big, then you may need some tools like http://www.sqldumpsplitter.com/ ).
For the "fake" configuration file...I attached here one from phpBB 3, you can edit it introducing the details of your server.
And that's all...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: