Change logo

Started by Scratchit, July 21, 2013, 09:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchit

Yes, that's the one I'm trying to change, the one on the top left, on my forum it says Sapper. I want to put the regimental crest there. Sorry for confusion. Someone posted about the slogan and I was replying to that post

Scratchit

Yes the one on the top left I want to change to the regimental log.

Scratchit

TheListener

Quote from: Scratchit on July 21, 2013, 10:19:50 AM
Sorry posted twice.

It happens.  :)

QuoteDo you use photobucket? If so it is easy.

Admin > Configuration > Themes and Layout > Theme Settings

Scratchit

Cheers

No I don't use Photobucket, I put all the files into the site.

TheListener

Quote from: Scratchit on July 21, 2013, 10:27:59 AM
Cheers

No I don't use Photobucket, I put all the files into the site.

Straight into the cpanel.

I'm only starting to do so myself.

(Taken me 3 years to do it this way too).

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=508070.msg3580054#msg3580054

The above topic may help you as it did me.  ;)

Scratchit

Scratchit

Hi Guys

Thanks for all suggestions but still no luck changing the LOGO. What puzzles me most is that on my site forum at www.royalengineers.info, on the forum the Logo on the top left of the page seems to be a Hyperlink! I cant get my head round how to put a Logo Picture in place of this. If I can get the Regimental Emblem up there then the plan is is use it as a Hyperlink back to my website home page. Can you see what I'm after doing?
Sorry to be a pain, I struggled to even build the Website so that gives you an idea of my level of expertise  :'(

Cheers

Scratchit

OK, looks like no solution. I'll investigate different Forum Software, my Hosting Provider has a number of 'Built in Software Packages' that can easily be installed, hence the selection of SimpleMachines which is one of the options they provide. I need something very simple that I can modify to suit my needs. SimpleMachines is nice but looks like its a bit out of my league as an absolute beginner with forum stuff.

Cheers for helping anyway.

Illori

i bet you will find technical issues with any forum software you try. i dont think there will be any that will be easy yet have all the features you will want to have. good luck trying to find something better.

Kindred

Scratchit,

I am confused now...

1- your link doe snot show a forum. It shows only fixed HTML pages.
2- You can change the logo in the top left.  Well... depending on your theme, you can. It's a standard theme setting (although some themes apparently don't support it).

SMF Admin > Configuration > Current Theme
just above the line for the site slogan is an option:
Logo image URL:
(leave blank to show forum name or default logo.)

Drop the URL for your logo in that text box...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

It displays a crest on the upper left (E-R etc.) and "Royal Engineers" on the upper right. Did you ever clear your browser cache after changing the logo?

QuoteOK, looks like no solution. I'll investigate different Forum Software
That's rather impatient of you, not to mention rude, to ask for help and then almost immediately declare SMF DOA. If you can't handle SMF, you're not going to find other forum software any easier.

Update: it looks like he already removed the forum installation (at least, the link to it is now dead).

ARG01

Well if the OP cant comprehend the simple steps and/or instructions to change/add a logo to SMF then he/she more than likely will fail with other software as well. Especially since they give up so easily.  It's a good possibility that Forum Administration in not their game and they should consider candle making instead. :o
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Scratchit

Hi

I surly didn't mean to offend anyone. But as I said I know next to nothing about this coding lark and it looked like I'd never get it sorted. I've installed Vanilla Forums, not as impressive or nice looking as SM but it allowed me to put up my "Banner / Logo" during the install process and it seems pretty easy to configure. It will need some work to get it to look decent, New Theme perhaps. ::)

Sorry about any offense caused to anyone who tried to help of the forum in general.

Cheers

Scratchit

ARG It's a good possibility that Forum Administration in not their game and they should consider candle making instead. :o

Explosives and booby traps are my speciallity, but I've nothing against candle making. :-*

Kindred

Scratchit,

My point was -- there is no coding needed to change the logo.  Adding your own logo in the top left corner of the default theme has a standard field right in the theme settings, just above the section where you said you changed the "slogan"

Not sure what the others were going on about, but it's a configuration item, no code changes required.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Scratchit

Hi Kindred

That's the first thing I tried, I did the slogan first and that worked, the logo thing did not, I even changed my Logo from gif to png, tried numerous times to get the logo to come up but it never did.

Cheers

Kindred

and, after making the change, did you
a) clear the forum cache and b) clear your browser cache?
Слaва
Украинi

Scratchit

Yep, did that. At one point the original Logo disappeared altogether but my logo never appeared. Just one of those things. Thanks for the help anyway.

Kindred

well, I would not say "it's just one of those things"... because the method that I indicate has been used thousands of time, successfully including a test by me on my test site, just now to confirm)

So - (sorry) either something is screwy with your configuration or you didn't do something correctly - because I can see no other reason that something thise basic in configuration would work for everyone else but not for you.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: