Transferring to Another Host

Started by keng_113, July 22, 2013, 07:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keng_113

Hi I'm planning transfer my website (www.pinoyshoegame.org) to another web host. I'm actually new at everything here so kindly let me know what I need to provide.

Here are my questions:

Is it easy?
What are the first thing I need to do?
Are there any chance that I may lose anything?

Thanks a lot, guys!

Kindred

it's all pretty much answered there.

Without SPECIFIC questions from you, we can't make any further suggestions
(other than, always, always, always take backups)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

Back up (files and database). Double check that you have a good and complete backup, sitting on your PC. Watch out for SMF attachments and avatars -- FileZilla will corrupt them unless you explicitly tell it to transfer in binary. Don't burn your bridges to your old host until your new site is confirmed up and running (check the attachments and avatars too).

keng_113

Thanks, everyone! BTW, are there any techniques on how to check if transfer is 110% successful? Thanks again.

a10

Quoteare there any techniques on how to check if transfer is 110% successful?
maybe not 110%, but checking for same exact filesize is a good start.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Kindred

well, The first thing is to learn basic mathematics, since 110% success is impossible :P   (I am joking!)

if your system works on the new host, then it was successful.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Storman™

Moving the files is pretty straightforward but the database can present the odd issue to the unwary. Have a read of point 6 under the General Notes:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup

Seen several instances recently where people move host but have a mismatch with the database encoding of the old and new db's. If you don't make sure you have the same encoding then it might initially seem ok until you start seeing weird characters appearing.

So check that the encoding is the same on both sides and do a series of test posts to make sure the text appears as you'd expect it to appear. Also check the text in existing posts.

;)

rd

You can't have 110% success while transferring host but you can be 100% certain that you don't lose data!

How?

Simple, download all your files and folders to a secure location in your computer. Also, don't forget to download the .sql file for you database using phpmyadmin!

Good luck!

keng_113

Hello guys,

thanks for all your replies. Although I have a couple more questions left:

• I'm worried that changing hosts might affect the forum and I might encounter random errors. Especially when my forum has different mods installed.
  • I tried downloading the database file and the forum files and tried to upload it somewhere (free hosting) This is the result (attached)

I really need to change host soon :(

Storman™

QuoteI'm worried that changing hosts might affect the forum and I might encounter random errors. Especially when my forum has different mods installed.

As long as your new host provides you with a suitable and adequate amount of resources then your mods will not be affected.

QuoteI tried downloading the database file and the forum files and tried to upload it somewhere (free hosting) This is the result (attached)

Looks like the image files for the theme are not showing. Did you upload them ? Do they have the correct permissions (i.e. 644) ?

I wouldn't advise you choose a "free" host, your just asking for trouble generally.

keng_113

QuoteLooks like the image files for the theme are not showing. Did you upload them ? Do they have the correct permissions (i.e. 644) ?

What i did was I downloaded the entire content of the htdocs where my fourm files are uploaded. Then I just reuploaded again to a separate host. I'm not sure if I have to manually set permissions after reuploading.

QuoteI wouldn't advise you choose a "free" host, your just asking for trouble generally.

Actually, I was just testing it out before I entirely take down the original site and transfer to the new one.

Tony Reid

After moving host use the repair settings file to make sure all paths are correct.....

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=repair_settings.php
Tony Reid

keng_113

Quote from: Tony Reid on August 07, 2013, 07:16:26 AM
After moving host use the repair settings file to make sure all paths are correct.....

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=repair_settings.php

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the info. May I know how to use it? Or where to upload the file? Thanks..

keng_113

Hi guys,

I proceed with transferring of host. The website's files are now on the server and i'm the importing now the sql file. But i'm encountering this error whenever I import the SQL file:

Error
SQL query:

--
-- Database: `b7_13485051_pinoyshoegame`
--
-- --------------------------------------------------------
--
-- Table structure for table `pinoyshoegame_admin_info_files`
--
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS  `pinoyshoegame_admin_info_files` (

`id_file` TINYINT( 4 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
`filename` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
`path` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
`parameters` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
`data` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`filetype` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
PRIMARY KEY (  `id_file` ) ,
KEY  `filename` (  `filename` ( 30 ) )
) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT =8;

MySQL said: Documentation

#1046 - No database selected

Thanks.

Storman™

Please be more specific, how are you importing the SQL file, are you using phpmyadmin ?

Have you already created the empty database, created a database user, and given that user permissions ? If you did create the database did you select it before attempting importing the file ?

keng_113

Quote from: Storman™ on September 04, 2013, 03:43:03 AM
Please be more specific, how are you importing the SQL file, are you using phpmyadmin ?

Have you already created the empty database, created a database user, and given that user permissions ? If you did create the database did you select it before attempting importing the file ?

what i did was just click import in the phpMyAdmin. Not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Illori

you need to select a database first on the left side before you can import your database tables.

keng_113

Thanks, Illori.

I was able to upload the database successfully

Import has been successfully finished, 545 queries executed. (b7_13485051_pinoyshoegame.sql).

However i'm still having problems. To give you guys a detailed info on the things I did:

1. upload files to new host: uploaded it to both 'www' and 'public_html' (not sure where to upload it)
2. upload database file. I created a new database then upload the .sql file from my original forum
3. uploaded repair_settings.php but when I access it thru pinoyshoegame.org/repair_settings.php I get this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thank you!

keng_113

Hi everyone, thanks for being patient with me.

I no longer receive that error whenever I try to visit my site after changing permissions to the folder. This is what I receive now:

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

When i try to access pinoyshoegame.org/repair_settings.php this error shows up:

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/pinoysho/public_html/repair_settings.php on line 336

Warning: mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/pinoysho/public_html/repair_settings.php on line 338

Warning: mysql_fetch_row() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/pinoysho/public_html/repair_settings.php on line 353

Warning: mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/pinoysho/public_html/repair_settings.php on line 355

Notice: Undefined index: database_error in /home/pinoysho/public_html/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 572

Fatal error: Call to undefined function allowedTo() in /home/pinoysho/public_html/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 573

Sir Osis of Liver

Attach the repair_settings.php you're using.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

keng_113

Sir Osis of Liver

The functions that are failing are called from /Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php.  Try uploading a clean copy from the upgrade or install package.

- R. Waters

keng_113

Quote from: Krash. on September 05, 2013, 12:53:33 AM

The functions that are failing are called from /Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php.  Try uploading a clean copy from the upgrade or install package.

Do you mean the whole package? or just this single file?

I uploaded a fresh copy but I don't see that something has changed.

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't think it'll help, but try this older version of repair_settings.php.

- R. Waters

keng_113

Quote from: Krash. on September 05, 2013, 01:09:17 AM

Don't think it'll help, but try this older version of repair_settings.php.

Wow. I think that worked. I just need to update the MySQL Database Info. I'm not sure what credentials to use, will it the old one from my host? or the new one on this current host? These are for: MySQL database name, username, password, table prefix, etc.

Thanks!!

Sir Osis of Liver

It worked because the newer version of repair_settings.php tries to fix the theme url's, and that's the bit that was causing the errors, no idea why.  The older version does not touch theme paths, so you may have to reset them in Admin -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings.  The reset button is at the bottom.  If it doesn't work, you can manually edit the paths by clicking on theme names.

Settings.php requires the database info for the new database on the new host.  Your old database has been imported into the new db, and you have to connect your forum to it.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

TAKE THAT LINK OFF YOUR POST.  Anyone can use it to screw with your settings.  And don't forget to delete repair_settings.php when you're done.

- R. Waters

keng_113

Quote from: Krash. on September 05, 2013, 01:32:16 AM

It worked because the newer version of repair_settings.php tries to fix the theme url's, and that's the bit that was causing the errors, no idea why.  The older version does not touch theme paths, so you may have to reset them in Admin -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings.  The reset button is at the bottom.  If it doesn't work, you can manually edit the paths by clicking on theme names.

Settings.php requires the database info for the new database on the new host.  Your old database has been imported into the new db, and you have to connect your forum to it.

Hmm sorry. you mean I will need both? What will I input in the MySQL Database Info in the repair_settings.php page? Thank you..

Sir Osis of Liver

No, the old db settings are irrelevant now.  From earlier posts, looks like you've successfully imported the old db to the new one on your new host.  You need the new credentials for the new db.  SMF needs that info to connect to the db.

- R. Waters

Chalky

keng_113, I've removed your attachment because database settings and passwords were in clear view.  Please be careful to obscure any sensitive information before posting things like that.

keng_113

Quote from: ChalkCat on September 05, 2013, 03:30:44 AM
keng_113, I've removed your attachment because database settings and passwords were in clear view.  Please be careful to obscure any sensitive information before posting things like that.

Sorry about that. :)

It seems like I can't set up my MySQL info. It give me this error:

Some settings are not being shown because the MySQL connection information is incorrect.

I'm quite sure about all my credentials except the MySQL table prefix.

Thanks again.

Arantor

You don't have, say, an apostrophe inside the MySQL password, do you?

keng_113

Quote from: Arantor on September 05, 2013, 09:16:28 AM
You don't have, say, an apostrophe inside the MySQL password, do you?

No.

By the way, how will I know my MySQL prefix? I'm suspecting that there is where I got it wrong

Arantor

The prefix is whatever is in the tables' names.

For example, there is a table called admin_info_files, and is the first table in the list normally. If your database contains a table called smf_admin_info_files, the prefix will be smf_ and that's the default normally.

keng_113

I got the table prefix right. I'm wondering what's causing the problem. I'm stuck whit this. :(

Tony Reid

Just a thought - Is your db server localhost - or are you on a hosting plan that has the mysql server somewhere else?

Also, after this is resolved - please change all your passwords as you have exposed them all in this thread, including the repair_settings files.
Tony Reid

keng_113

Quote from: Tony Reid on September 05, 2013, 09:34:49 AM
Just a thought - Is your db server localhost - or are you on a hosting plan that has the mysql server somewhere else?

Also, after this is resolved - please change all your passwords as you have exposed them all in this thread, including the repair_settings files.

I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, it's localhost but I may need to verify that with my host.

With regards to my passwords, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

keng_113

Quote from: keng_113 on September 05, 2013, 09:38:42 AM
Quote from: Tony Reid on September 05, 2013, 09:34:49 AM

I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, it's localhost but I may need to verify that with my host.

With regards to my passwords, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Or can i verify that myself?

Tony Reid

It should be in the email your host sent you when you purchased the new hosting plan?
Tony Reid

keng_113

It's not in the email. My previous host sent that in their email.

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

keng_113

I just saw it now in PHPMyAdmin that it's localhost..

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

keng_113

Tony Reid

I cannot see any useful info on their website.

I think you need raise a support ticket with them.
Tony Reid

keng_113

I got a confirmation from them that it's localhost.

Advertisement: