Table corrupt, help please

Started by naoko15, July 31, 2013, 05:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naoko15

Hello, i am getting an error message in my forum telling me the table smf_messages is corrupt:

Table './xxxxxxxx/smf_messages' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed

When i try to repair it in phpMyAdmin (both by running a repair query or with the drop down menu below) i get this message:

MySQL server has gone away

My server, Godaddy, is not helping at all. This is the reply i'm getting from them (actually i got this twice, seems like an automated reply):

"We have reviewed your account and could not find any issues with your hosting plan. The type of error you are experiencing is most likely caused by coding or scripting. Because we do not provide coding support, we are unable to determine what specifically in your code may be causing the error. "

I'm desperate, i don't know what else to do : (

kat

Godaddy... Whyever do people use those idiots?

Can you get to CPanel>Databases>MySQL Databases and try a repair, there?

naoko15

I know, it's awful the amount of problems i've had with them. I'm going to move the forum out as soon as i can  :-\

There is no repair option in Cpanel, only backup, restore and delete.

Kindred

if I recall, on GoDady you have to repair from inside phpmyadmin.

select the table and then select "repair" from the dropdown of actions
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

naoko15

I've done that and i get the "mysql server has gone away" message

kat

I'm afraid you're at the mercy of NoDaddy, then. :(

br360

When you open a ticket or communicate with them through email, you will almost always get the stock reply. Call them, as you will get a much better response and resolve.

Also if you haven't already; google "mysql server has gone away" as there is some good info out there.

naoko15

Ok, so i phoned Godaddy and they solved my issue, but now it's happened again and they insist that the problem is caused by a third party application, and they can't help me. Also, they won't say which application is this.

I've noticed there's a table called backup_smf_messages. Will many posts be lost if i get to restore this table into smf_messages?

Another thing that's been bugging me is that this table gets corrupt very often, like once each couple of weeks. Why would this happen?

Illori

the backup table was most likely created when you used the large upgrade package last. so many messages may go missing.

at this point i would really suggest you find a better host then godaddy. this should not be a common issue on a decent non-oversold host.

most likely your issue is do to your host and how oversold they are and how much they dont care about your problems.

Kindred

so... the one site I admin that runs on godaddy had issues with the tables crashing...   regularly..

The problem was that the site was still running on mySQL4.1
Upgrade your site to mySL5 and I bet the problem  goes away (or, at least gets less frequent)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

naoko15

Thank you for your reply, i'll try that, but in the meantime i've no idea how can i repair the corrupt table

Kindred

I think that you really need to talk to your host....

the database has gone away message from within phpmyadin indicates a major issue on their side... it is not caused by any smf script, regardless of what they might try to claim.
Слaва
Украинi

CheeseHead05

Yea Im with GoDaddy and I definitely would not recommend. Thinkin bout packin my sh** up and headin down the road  ???

naoko15

Now they tell me they can't repair it either on their end...but they can let me have access to a previous working backup for 100 euros : / 

Looks like i'll have to restore the table backup_messages even if i loose many messages (and then move the forum to another server of course). What is the procedure to do this?

ziycon

If you can try running this line of SQL from phpmyadmin:

REPAIR TABLE {table_name} USE_FRM;

naoko15

Quote from: ziycon on August 19, 2013, 09:06:27 AM

Thank you for your reply, but i still get the 'Lost connection to MySQL server during query' message : /

emanuele

Quote from: naoko15 on August 19, 2013, 08:32:34 AM
Now they tell me they can't repair it either on their end...but they can let me have access to a previous working backup for 100 euros : / 
So they screw up things and want money to fix what they broke?
Fantastic business model! I wonder why nobody has copied it yet... oh wait... never mind. :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ziycon

Quote from: naoko15 on August 19, 2013, 09:26:27 AM

Thank you for your reply, but i still get the 'Lost connection to MySQL server during query' message : /
Once the query is submitted it should run regardless of a loss of connectivity, looks like when you submit the query the connection is dying before the query actually hits the mysql server. Unfortunately very little that can be done apart from beg to godaddy for help.

naoko15

Quote from: ziycon on August 19, 2013, 10:10:31 AM
Quote from: naoko15 on August 19, 2013, 09:26:27 AM

Once the query is submitted it should run regardless of a loss of connectivity, looks like when you submit the query the connection is dying before the query actually hits the mysql server. Unfortunately very little that can be done apart from beg to godaddy for help.

I phoned them again (i lost count on how many times i've done this) and they say they havevn't got the necessary permissions to access my database, and i should get a webmaster to do this for me...it's surreal!

So, i haven't got a functional backup to restore (all of them have the corrupt table in them) but i noticed there's a table called "backup_smf_messages" in the database. Is it possible to restore this? and how? even though i'm sure i will lose many posts...better to lose some than lose all

Kindred

thing is - that backup_smf-messages table is probably the backup table created form your last large upgrade....     which means it is likely to be WAY out of date.

Your host tech services does not have permission to access your database?   really?   ummm....    wow. just wow.
Слaва
Украинi

naoko15

Well, before that they told me the repair they carried out on their end failed, as they also told me a third-party application was supposed to be causing the problem (this excuse is the most recurrent)... They even said that they have a copy of a daily backup of my database, which goes back to 30 days...and that i might have access to it, but it'd cost me over 100 euros

The thing is that i can't solve the problem by myself and seems like no one on godaddy will help me  solve it. I'm really desparate now...i'm facing the loss of about 7 years of my forum's posts  :-\

This backup wouldn't be too old, as i carried out the last update last june. I'd lose a lot but it wouldn't be a total catastrophe

ziycon

naoko15

Thank you ziycon for trying to help me. Now, i think my only option is to restore bavkup_smf_messages. What sql query should i use to do this? is 'REPLACE INTO smf_messages SELECT * FROM backup_smf_messages' ok?

ziycon

Just so people know what I've tried to date, I've tried running a repair through phpmyadmin and I also tried running the repair as a SQL query to no avail. Next I tried to connect to mysql via command line to try the repair this way and then I tried to connect via command line to export the database and try repair it locally which all failed due to not being able to connect via command line.

There are only three options left:

• Pay for godaddy to restore the most recent working daily backup
  • Try and get godaddy to run myisamchk on the mysql server for your table file
  • Restore your backup from June
Sorry I couldn't be more help but this is a good example of why you should take regular backups and keep them offline.

naoko15

Godaddy is ignoring me now, so i guess i'll have to restore the messages from the table file backup_smf_messages. Is thee any tutorial to do this? i can't find instructions anywhere

Advertisement: