changing from smf for free to smf

Started by miss-me, August 02, 2013, 04:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss-me

firstly i hope i am posting in the correct place

i have been searching the forums, and reading the online manual and im currently feeling like rather stupid cos i am struggling with trying to set up my forum.

i have a smf for free forum, it has a theme which i have basically redone to make it my way, i have put all the boards in etc, always managed to figure out stuff, so the question i want to ask is "do people think its possible if you could use smf for free, to learn to use a smf forum?" the poor server host, he has gone way beyond the small amount of money he is paid for my account.

So i am currently wondering what i should do.

Tony Reid

SMF is SMF whether its on a free host or not - the administration and usage is the same.

If you need assistance installing it to get it up and running, then there are plenty of folks here willing to assist.

Tony Reid

miss-me

so i need to put my big girl panties on and get over it right ??..*grins*

honestly, i was struggling to get a theme to install, and there is a lot more admin stuff on this i am sure.

today, i couldnt even get the FTP to work, doing it step by step on the instructions, even watching a video of it, kept getting the same error

Thanks

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

johnpaul2k2

will you mind posting the exact error you are getting

miss-me

530 Login authentication failed

which when i googled it, said it was due to my password being wrong, but i know i have my password right, i had just set up the FTP, so i couldnt have just forgotten it.

can i reset up that again?

Tony Reid

That could also be your username.

Might be case sensitive as well.
Tony Reid

miss-me

Tony, i noticed on the tutorial i was watching the person had their user name, then @website.addy.com for example, i thought my user name was just the name i selected as i set up the FTP, would that be correct?

thanks for your help by the way *S*

Tony Reid

Usually, you would just have your username on its own, and the host name in another box.

What FTP software are you using? I'd recommend FileZilla https://filezilla-project.org/

Tony Reid

miss-me

yes that is what i used, its what my wonderful host did recommend also *S*

i will have another try with it

[it must be i think, the spam letters before i post here i kept getting wrong also LOL]

kat

Hold up...

smf for free...

You mean this lot?

http://www.smfforfree.com

If so, you may have problems. If I remember rightly, they screw their sites down, so that you can't, really, do much, with them.

You might want to have a look around/join/post here:

http://www.smfsupport.com/support/index.php

If you want to pull the site and set it up, elsewhere, you'll need the database. If my memory serves me well (Which would be unusual, I have to confess), that's not an easy thing to do, with them. They may demand cash...

I could be mistaken, though.

miss-me

thanks for the reply

they did want cash for the data base, 50 bucks and i dont mind paying for things but i decided it was to much, considering i think that 90% of my members will follow us when we move, and i have already paid for add free credits, which i thought would mean as someone come onto the site, it would be one credit, but nope, each time they move from one thread to another the credits go down, so i figured over a year its actually cheaper to go onto a host site, plus i paid 30 bucks for the newsletter upgrade so i could pm all members.

i have found that smf for free is very different, i have signed up with a host and im in the learning curve right now of trying to figure out how to make the forum into a place like the old one *S* ....  i think the host i have gone with is amazing, he hasnt got upset at me at all with my blonde questions, and is so quick to respond to me, but i am trying to not hassle the poor man to much.

kat

Here's a good place to start:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org

Have a good look around and see what pop into your head. One of our support team's a blonde. So, she can help you out, in the manner to which you're accustomed. ;)

Any questions? just ask! It's what we're here for. :)

miss-me

thankyou *S*

that manual and i have become very good friends .....grins and good about the blonde we need to stick together, give me graphics and i can do lots, but this has got me a bit confused, but i am getting there a bit now i think *S*

kat

You'll be surprised how much of it sticks in your mind, after a while. (Even an old fart's mind, like mine)

'course, with this kinda thing, you'll see a light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes, to find that some sod's driving a train towards you. ;)

RULE ONE: BACKUP, before fiddling around, with stuff.
RULE TWO: BACKUP, before even thinking of fiddling, with stuff.
RULE THREE: Did I mention about backing-up? ;)

Click my sig, for the "How the Hell do I do that?" thing.

miss-me

that was one of the first siggys i noticed here, cos i kept saying that to people in the graphics community, cos i dont know how many i know of who have lost years of resources they have collected.

i am trying to figure out why my FTP didnt work for me today, and it does seem there is like at the end of the tunnel, i did duck the train yesterday  ;D

kat

Quote from: miss-me on August 02, 2013, 07:50:27 AM
that was one of the first siggys i noticed here

Oh, it's done some good, then? WoOt!

That's another hassle, we get.

You get the goal-posts in sight and your host will move the damned things!

Some hosts can be dead weird. Change things, without telling you, stuff like that.

What's the problem with FTP?

With an FTP client, you know the URL is, usually, the same as your normal URL, but without the "www."?

So, the FTP for http://www.mysite.com would be just mysite.com. You used to have to fart around putting "ftp://", but very rare that you need that, now.

miss-me

i have been blessed with my host, he has been very good to me so far.

i have done the addy as you said with no www.  and im sure that my user name and password are correct.

the problem with FTP is i keep getting this error... "530 Login authentication failed"

Chalky

Hi fellow blonde  :D

Have you tried going back to your ftp settings in cPanel (or whatever your host uses) and changing the password to a new one, just so you can make absolutely sure you're typing it correctly?  If that fails it might be worth harassing your host again over that one, in case it's something he can answer quickly and easily and will save you chucking your computer out the window  ;)

miss-me

thanks i will try that and yes its cpanel

*S*

Chalky

If it's cPanel you're using then try connecting to FTP using exactly the same username and password that you use to access cPanel......

miss-me

i did change the password and still got the same error.

maybe i need to contact my webhost.

Chalky

Did you see my post above yours about logging into FTP with the same user/pw as your cPanel?  If that doesn't work then yes, I'd contact your host.

miss-me

oh no i didnt, i will try that also

thanks so much for your help *S*

kat

If you change the password, for FTP, you'll need it to install mods, too, when you use Package Manager.

Admin>Packages>File permissions.

miss-me

thanks *S*

im in this kinda lost phrase, im currently reading this online manual trying to learn stuff *S*

Kindred

K@,  for all of the sites I have ever dealt with, the host name for the ftp connection is ftp.mysite.com
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

It used to be that I had to put that, too, Kindred. Not for AGES, though. mysite.com works perfectly OK. :)

Missymeme... ;) Worry not, most of us were where you are, not THAT long ago. :)

Advertisement: