"The connection was reset"

Started by 011235813, August 10, 2013, 10:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been having this exactly same issue.  All my users are getting increasingly frustrated.

It doesn't seem to make a difference on the ISP, browser, OS, or any other individual factors.  I have noticed something interesting, however...

In the address bar, when the site goes down, if you remove the index.php and hit enter... IT WORKS.  Of course that is all fine and dandy until you try to submit a post or anything like that.  And of course after you click a link, the index.php is obviously back in the link and the page doesn't work, again.  And once again, if you go up and delete it and press enter, the page will load just fine and in a snap.

So I suppose it's just a question of if there is something wrong in the actual forum, or if it is strictly GoDaddy.  We've called them and they said everything is just fine on their end.  There are no errors in the logs.  We made absolutely no changes before this problem started happening, either.  In fact, no one had even accessed anything in the back for months.

Any help would be fantastic~

TheListener

I have split your post and made a new topic. I appreciate this being your first but in future please do not piggyback on other users topics. They may not have the same result.

kat

Godaddy...

Those people are hell to deal with, I'm afraid.

Just a hunch, though. Try going to Admin>Server settings>Cookies and stuff and rename the cookie.

I have no technical reason to suggest that, though. It really is just a hunch.

By the same token, make sure "Disable hostname lookups", in the "General" section, isn't checked. (Again, a pure hunch)

Chalky

Thing is with GoDaddy, they will tell you absolutely any old fairytale just to get you off the phone, and no amount of hysterical female crying will get them to actually offer a solution - believe me I've tried  :P  I still get "connection reset" errors, among others, on my GoDaddy hosted test site.  They say it's because I'm using too many resources and need a VPS, but as my test site it only ever has one visitor - me  ::)

TheListener

Quotehysterical female

I know of at least two on this forum.

One's a lady the other?

Chalky

Lady?  Where???  :o

Sorry, I think the support staff have just completely derailed this support topic - and with a newbie as well!!!  Sorry 011235813, we do want to help you, please don't be driven away by our banter!  It's just, it's Saturday night, and being geeks this is our idea of a party  :P  Please let us know whether either of K@'s suggestions work  :)

TheListener

Quotegeeks

Oi no need for the language.

:P

No worries~  I understand the geekdom rather well.

I'm trying the renaming of the cookie first and we'll see how that goes.  If that doesn't work and I still get more complaints, I'll look into unchecking that checked box.  :3

Either way, I'll let you know if anything works or not. 

Thanks bunches~<3

Okay...  Sorry, guys.  No go. 

I did one, waited and still had people having issues.  Then I tried the other, and still nothing.  I was reeeeeeally hoping that one of those would work!

Arantor

Link to the site might be useful at this point.

Sir Osis of Liver

Look for a file named home.htm (or home.something) in your forum root, and delete it.

Hey, Arantor, good to see you're back.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

I'm afraid I'm kind of stupid when it comes to this stuff.  I don't know how to find that.  :/  Our main techie person isn't a part of our team anymore, so it makes it extremely difficult to deal with this kind of stuff.  I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

I suppose I should also point out that this problem happens at random and not to everyone at the same time.  The site will be working just fine, and then someone, or a couple of someones, get the boot. 

The good thing is that we're set to renew our web hosting in less than two weeks.  I've already sent godaddy a letter that states if the problem isn't resolved by then, we'll have to try someone else.

kat

Quote from: 011235813 on August 11, 2013, 09:31:34 AMI'm afraid I'm going to break something.

That's why it's so important to make backups. ;) (Click my sig for the "How?", on that).

To check for a file named home.html, you'll either need an FTP client http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/FTP_-_How_do_I_use_FTP or, at a pinch, you can use the File Manager, which you'll find on your site's CPanel.

As Arantor said, too, a URL to your forum might be useful, for us. :)

Okay, used the FTP file manager to go searching.  I can't seem to find a home anything anywhere. 

Oops~  Sorry, I must have overlooked the request for the link.

http://yaoinightmare.net/index.php [nofollow]

I haven't had any issues all day long, but one of our members has been experiencing the problem for hours.  I'm getting more and more frustrated.  Urgh! 

kat

Hmmm... Found a possible clue, at the bottom of the page...

"Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5"

You know that that's, in all but name, a beta version of SMF?

It's likely as buggy as... er... a place where bugs live?

Have you thought of being radical and upgrading to the latest version, by any chance?

That is something that I've thought about doing, switching to a different version to see if that fixes the problem.

The big problem there... as I mentioned before, we don't have anyone tech savvy on our team anymore, aaaand even though I've read a bit on it, it still confuses the you-know-what right out of me. 

;n;

I didn't realize that version was a beta.  But no one else would've been messing around with that for... well, months, if not a year, and the problems have just happened in these last two or three weeks. 

Ugh.  I am so afraid to do it, but I'm running out of other options. 

kat

The read-up can be a bit daunting, really.

But, it's as simple as this:

BACKUP EVERYTHING!!!

Get the large upgrade: http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-4_upgrade.zip

Dearchive it, into an empty directory, on your computer.

Upload all the files, to your site, overwriting what's there, now. (FTP is the best way. But, you can use CPanel's File Manager, is you enjoy that kinda thing)

Point your browser to your normal URL, except you'll need upgrade.php, instead of index.php.

Follow the on-screen instructions and you're done!

When you read it, like that, it doesn't seem half as tricky, does it? :)

Be aware, though, that your mods will no longer be installed and, most likely, won't reinstall. You'll need to get updated versions, of those. Probably the same with the themes that you have, too. (Why people release mods and themes for a beta version I will never understand, to be honest)

If anything disastrous DOES happen, you'll have that backup to revert to, if you need to. :)

Oh, that does seem much better.  :3  Thank you~

I've been in contact with GoDaddy today.  I have work in a little over an hour, so I'm going to ride today out and see how it goes.

Tomorrow I have the entire day off, and I'll have the help of someone who knows maybe a smidge more than I do about these things, as she has her own site via GoDaddy.  If we need to, we'll venture into the upgrade then.

I'll let you all know the outcome!

kat

Be sure that you do, please!

Good luck, where NoDaddy are concerned, too. ;)

Advertisement: