News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

1000's of these errors logged daily

Started by Cat McFarlane, August 13, 2013, 06:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat McFarlane

Hiya again K@  :) How are you, dude?! Site's going well and no hiccups, so thanks again for your help.
I can't find me a News Letter Mod for SMF thread, and no news letters went out automatically, grrrr ... grumpy cat, lol.

ARG01

Just an FYI. No matter what happens, it may not be thousands but you will always have errors in the log on a a daily basis. I don't use mods and even on freshly installed test sites with zero members and posts, I still have errors by simply logging in. This has occurred since the day I began using SMF many years ago regardless of the host or server settings.
It's gotten to the point to where I don't even check my error logs anymore but simply delete them daily to save space. 
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Arantor

Um, what?

I don't have errors in my log on a daily basis.

ARG01

I have at least three pages of errors per day, even on private, fresh install test sites with no public activity.  Between my customers and myself, I install a minimum of five test sites per week.
I just figured it was the software. It doesn't seem to hurt anything so I never give it a second thought. ::)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Cat McFarlane

Arantor

Quote from: ARG on September 03, 2013, 10:18:34 PM
I have at least three pages of errors per day, even on private, fresh install test sites with no public activity.  Between my customers and myself, I install a minimum of five test sites per week. ::)

5 a week? There was a point where I was installing 3-5 a day.

If you're seeing these errors, why haven't you reported them so they can be investigated? Or maybe you're just doing it wrong...

ARG01

I edited my last post,

QuoteI just figured it was the software. It doesn't seem to hurt anything so I never give it a second thought.

Why report it? If it is not normal then apparently it is on my end. But like I said, this has happened since my first days with SMF which was the beginning of SMF, regardless of the host, cPanel, sever, etc.

Quote5 a week? There was a point where I was installing 3-5 a day.

I am nowhere near that enthusiastic.  ;D

Arantor

It's not normal. So it's specific to you. But that still means it should be looked at because it's not normal in the hopes it can be fixed for everyone.

Kindred

I have a site with 25 mods that has no errors at all in months of running.

SMF should not generate any errors in a clean install. (now, please note that login failure flags and things like that which MAY appear in the error log are not actually errors)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ARG01

Quote from: Arantor on September 03, 2013, 10:32:48 PM
It's not normal. So it's specific to you. But that still means it should be looked at because it's not normal in the hopes it can be fixed for everyone.

No offense to the SMF crew but if I report every error on a fresh install, I would more than likely regret is soon after.  They have better things to spend their time on.  ;)

Arantor

No offence but you're wrong.

If you're seeing these errors, likely so are other people. Any errors should be investigated as a matter of routine - that's why they're logged in the first place, to let you know something's up and to do something about it.

ARG01

Ok for example, On a test site installed just today, I currently have two full pages of "guest" error logs concerning subscription failures. I don't even have subscriptions activated in Core features.
Now, what happens when I report these errors every time they occur? My guess is that the results would not be pleasant for either party.

Arantor

That would make me wonder whether for some reason PayPal has that address set up for an IPN for some reason. Or that you have a bot spamming the crud out of subscriptions.php for some reason. Mind you, your sites have always seemed more bot-attractive than *anything* I've normally seen in the SMF world.

Unpleasant or not, errors like that really should be investigated.

ARG01

QuoteThat would make me wonder whether for some reason PayPal has that address set up for an IPN for some reason.

I have never used the SMF Subscription option nor associated any SMF install with either of my three Paypal accounts. Unless my domain was once set up with an IPN thru Paypal I see no reason why this could be possible?

QuoteOr that you have a bot spamming the crud out of subscriptions.php for some reason. Mind you, your sites have always seemed more bot-attractive than *anything* I've normally seen in the SMF world.

Really? I have bots like everyone else but they are not an issue and I see much less on my site than most SMF sites that I associate with. At any given time I have an average of 2-3 bots combing my site.

QuoteUnpleasant or not, errors like that really should be investigated.

I am all for helping but I really don't have the time to report errors on a regular basis. Especially since they seem harmless as far as the way my sites function.

Arantor

Well, you're not exactly giving me a lot of detail to go off, so I can only go based on how SMF works.

In a fresh install, there's no subscription data, so something outside must be triggering it. If it's a subscriptions error, it logically is coming from subscriptions.php rather than anything else. Which means something's plinking it in some way - the obvious candidate is a callback from PayPal's IPN system, suggestive that at some point the domain was configured for IPN use.

Or you have bad behaved bots plinking for something to break in - but there are no known vulns with that. Which means it's very strange.

QuoteReally? I have bots like everyone else but they are not an issue and I see much less on my site than most SMF sites that I associate with. At any given time I have an average of 2-3 bots combing my site.

That's not how you've described it in the past.

QuoteI am all for helping but I really don't have the time to report errors on a regular basis. Especially since they seem harmless as far as the way my sites function.

I wasn't asking for 'regular' reports. This is the first time I've heard you mention that you get regular errors of any kind, let alone pages of errors. And I'm naturally suspicious because a fresh install doesn't generate errors out of the box for regular users otherwise we'd have been inundated with questions. But that doesn't change the fact that you're seeing errors on a fresh install which just should not be happening and I want to nail it down, if only for the fact that your sites will run faster for not throwing so many errors.

Advertisement: