News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Registration and PM errors

Started by rob54, August 15, 2013, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob54

I upgraded my 1.1.18 forum using Softaculous, against advice here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=509481.0 but nevertheless it seemed to work.

Now I find registration doesn't work, whether I register as if a new member, or if I try to register a member using the admin logon. I get the following error:
Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Members.php on line 468
When I looked in the files in FTP I could only see Subs-Post.php~, so I extracted the installation file and uploaded Subs-Post.php but it made no difference. Subs-Members.php was there but I still uploaded a new version. No difference. Also I note as I entered the username field, I got a tickmark, same against passwords, but no tickmark against email address.

Similarly, private messages fail with a similar error:
Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/PersonalMessage.php on line 111

In both these cases the error logs say 'no such file or directory, citing the same line numbers as above

Any ideas please?

Chalky

Try making a copy of Subs-Post.php~ and renaming it to Subs-Post.php and see if that's any good.  The ~ indicates the automatic backup file taken by the system so if you're lucky it will be a copy of what you had before.

rob54

This is strange. I did that (made a copy and removing the ~) and uploaded it. It appeared as expected, but disappears on refreshing!

Illori

then have a talk with your host, maybe they disabled the file for some reason.

Arantor

Very likely because they see the use of email in there and think ERMAHGERD it's a spam trap.

rob54

Quote from: Arantor on August 15, 2013, 07:46:13 PM
Very likely because they see the use of email in there and think ERMAHGERD it's a spam trap.
Not sure I know what you mean  ???
Quote from: Illori on August 15, 2013, 07:02:12 PM
then have a talk with your host, maybe they disabled the file for some reason.
Have raised a ticket with my host to see if they have an answer re file disappearance. Doubt they will  :( they seem to know little about forums.

Illori

sounds to me like it is time to find a new host if they cant tell you why this file cant stay on their server then.

rob54

Maybe, but I had no problem with these issues with registration and PMs before upgrading to 2.0.5, so I would not had cause to look at these files. Can't help thinking I ought to just start afresh. There isn't much content really. I could maybe make copies of the posts (there's that few) and copy over to a new clean fully working forum.

Arantor

I still believe it's because of your host being idiotic and removing them because ERMAHGERD THEY MAKES SPAMZ. Your host wouldn't be the first to do just that.

rob54

They said they thought their 'exploit scanner accidently blocked these files' and restored them. Subs-Post.php is there an stays there. It changed something as Read Messages works, but Send Messages doesn't with error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare theme_postbox() (previously declared in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php:1149) in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php on line 1414

People can still not register and they get error message:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare theme_postbox() (previously declared in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php:1409) in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1275

I can register people, though it appears not to work, with error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function loadEmailTemplate() in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Members.php on line 818

[Edit: On looking at the memberlist, the one I added (me with another name from the same computer) has a different IP. I'm feeling rather suspicious I might just junk the forum. No members to speak of and New Topics doesn't work either with error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare theme_postbox() (previously declared in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php:1149) in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php on line 1414]

Chalky

QuoteThey said they thought their 'exploit scanner accidently blocked these files' and restored them.

Deffo time to change hosts!  You don't know what their out-of-control "exploit scanner" will "accidentally" delete next.  And next time they might not or might not be able to restore it.  Run now and run fast  :-X

kat

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare theme_postbox() (previously declared in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php:1409) in /home/late7e/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1275

REDECLARE.

Has something been installed twice, perhaps?

Want to attach the file, so we can take a look at it?

rob54

Not sure which one of the two files you mean but here's both mentioned, and thanks.

rob54

Sorry to bug you again, but my host answer is this:

We recently upgraded the servers to the latest version of PHP (5.4) - your website doesn't appear to be compatible with this version.

You can now set your PHP version from your cPanel control panel under the 'Select PHP Version' icon in the 'Software' section. Chose 5.2 and press the 'Set As Current' button.

This should solve the issue.

Does that sound right given I am talking about SMF to them, installed in the /forum folder, by their installer provided, and not my very crude amateur website? I'm asking you guys before trying what they suggest.

MrPhil

"Cannot redeclare <function name>" is your error. You installed a mod twice. Nothing your host did, unless you thought a mod was gone and they restored the file with the installed mod just as you reinstalled it.

SMF 1.1.18 I think is PHP 5.4 compatible (and I'm pretty sure people are running 2.0.4 on that level). You might search this forum for mention of PHP 5.4 just to be sure.

rob54

Quote from: MrPhil on August 16, 2013, 12:55:43 PM
"Cannot redeclare <function name>" is your error. You installed a mod twice. Nothing your host did, unless you thought a mod was gone and they restored the file with the installed mod just as you reinstalled it.

SMF 1.1.18 I think is PHP 5.4 compatible (and I'm pretty sure people are running 2.0.4 on that level). You might search this forum for mention of PHP 5.4 just to be sure.
Oh right (I think)! I was running 1.1.18 and upgraded to 2.0.5. I junked the mods I had on 1.1.18 after upgrade along with the themes. The restore they did was today, the upgrade was very early the previous day. In any case what they did only solved one problem and many more persist. It sounds completely messed up. I think I am going to uninstall the whole forum. Not worth the effort trying to unravel it all. But many thanks.

Sleezy

Check you version. Which version of SMF do you use?
SMFNew Advocate for SMFNew (Dagger)

kat

Just to add to the weirdness, theme_postbox() doesn't appear in either of those files, at all, let alone twice.

Arantor

It sounds like there's some legacy 1.1.x stuff trying to mesh with 2.0 stuff.

rob54

Have just asked host if this could be case. I'm strongly tempted to junk it entirely as it is not actually used!

rob54

Quote from: EvenStride on August 16, 2013, 01:16:40 PM
Check you version. Which version of SMF do you use?
I upgraded to 2.0.5 from 1.1.18 on about 14/8.
Quote from: rob54 on August 16, 2013, 12:47:01 PM
Sorry to bug you again, but my host answer is this:

We recently upgraded the servers to the latest version of PHP (5.4) - your website doesn't appear to be compatible with this version.

You can now set your PHP version from your cPanel control panel under the 'Select PHP Version' icon in the 'Software' section. Chose 5.2 and press the 'Set As Current' button.

This should solve the issue.

Does that sound right given I am talking about SMF to them, installed in the /forum folder, by their installer provided, and not my very crude amateur website? I'm asking you guys before trying what they suggest.
Hosts have set php version to 5.3 (don't know why when they suggested I should set to 5.2). Same problems though except I don't get the error messages display (just white screen)

Arantor

SMF is compatible with both PHP 5.3 and 5.4, though there are some known issues with PHP 5.5 at this time.

The white screen is because the display_errors directive is now set to off. The error messages should still be listed in the error log, you may have to check your hosting panel to view that.

rob54

Quote from: Arantor on August 16, 2013, 07:14:40 PM

The white screen is because the display_errors directive is now set to off. The error messages should still be listed in the error log, you may have to check your hosting panel to view that.
I have no idea what display_errors directive means! My forum is worse than useless now (unable to register members, make new posts, reply, send PMs etc) so I think I am likely to simply junk it. Or may just ask (or do myself) for a restore to pre update to 1.1.18, as that worked fine. I can see no new errors on forum logs. None on Panel either.

Arantor

The display_errors directive is the option in php.ini that manages whether errors are displayed or not. Since you're getting a white screen, the directive is likely off.

The thing is, if you revert, there's a better than average chance your host will actually block those things again even in 1.1.18, not to mention the fact that sooner rather than later, SMF 1.1.x is going to stop receiving security fixes. Honestly, the best thing to do is find a non ridiculous host - the only reason 2.0 doesn't work for you because your host keeps screwing it up.

rob54

Well, I aksed them to restore 1.1.18 but pointed out I was disappointed at how the upgrade went using their facility, and that 2.0.5 was fully supported, as the latest version, and that 1.1.x was likely to stop being supported and updated.

They restored 1.1.18 but said it was still likely to be the virus scanner causing the issues (which they, for now, disabled for the forum folder). They started the re-upgrade, asking me to complete (them not having the admin login). And, well, it works! All the issues from before not now issues.

There's just now the small matter  of how they will safely protect the forum, which I have asked about, obviously. Awaiting reply.

rob54

Just to conclude this thread, my host has re-enabled the virus scanner, after them having to tell it to ignore the (legit) files it flagged earlier on.

So I am now happy that I have a fully up to date working forum version 2.0.5! I might even use it for its intended purpose now, that is to replace a Yahoo Group! So hosts did come good. It's one of the cheapest available in the UK, though their hosting charge has nearly doubled in the 5 years I've been with, whilst domains have halved. So about the same outlay really.

Thanks guys for your help and advice. I'll be back!!

I'll mark the topic solved if that is OK.

Arantor

QuoteIt's one of the cheapest available in the UK

And you wonder why you're having problems with their incompetence... I guarantee you're going to have more to come in the not too distant future.

You get what you pay for.

rob54

I do have another host earmarked for next June when this one ends, that comes recommended. I was going to change to them in June, but there was a discount for a reason I can't recall now, so the price difference was minimal and at that time I had other things going on so I didn't need the hassle.

However the other host has ticketing and telephone support, whereas my host has only ticketing (which to be fair is usually answered quite quickly).

Advertisement: