Moving smf from one mysql to another

Started by innerfire, January 20, 2004, 02:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

innerfire

Where can I find information about moving my sql databases from one server to another?  I am packing up the bags from my old server at #$@%firms, and am loving my new host.  I just don't want to have to re-do all of the boards.  (that would be smf to smf migration).  I don't even have any members yet as my site has not been made public.  All I care about is the boards and posts that I have put in.  I could probably re-do them but I am trying to save a few hours of copy/past. 

BTW, The install of smf was flawless on my new server.  Even runs the web safe urls without crashing, stoked, I smile from ear to ear! :D

[Unknown]

I would just copy the messages, topics, boards, and categories tables over... no worries then.

-[Unknown]

Tyris

phpMyAdmin
use the export options... export to file...
then just use phpMyAdmin to upload and execute that file on the new server...
I did this with a 6 meg file ;)

innerfire

I just tried pulling over the boards and board_permissions using the "View dump (schema) of table", (export) section of my phpmyadmin, as a data only file, tried inserting it in my other database and got:
VALUES (
- 1, 0,  'poll_view'
)

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '---------------------------------------------------------
--
--

dschwab9

You'll also want to setup both boards to connect to mysql on the new server just before you switch the DNS, than way there is no downtime during the DNS propogation

pulpitfire

i just had to do this recently.  you can just use the Mysql admin to zip the data-base to a file.  only thing is, with mine, i had to specify an exact file name (of one of the tables) in winzip, before it would let me unzip the data.

innerfire

Advertisement: