News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Get all members and save into Array?

Started by bobdole2281, August 19, 2013, 01:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmm, looks like this isn't necessary either -

settype($members,"array");

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

emanuele

Quote from: Krash. on August 20, 2013, 12:45:48 AM
That only works if you have an idea which member you're looking for.  If OP wants a complete, scrollable list of all members that users can select from, that's a whole different magilla.
And depending on the size of the forum, it may be as useless as the autosuggest (imagine scrolling a bow with all the users (in one single page) of this forum).

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Which is why I wanted to know what the OP is actually trying to achieve with a list of all the members because of all these things...

You know, it's almost like I'm an Analyst/Programmer. Oh wait...

emanuele

Quote from: Arantor on August 20, 2013, 08:46:05 AM
Stop doing your job! :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

You should see the company whose books I'm on. I'm *officially* listed as Code Monkey.

bobdole2281

Quote from: Arantor on August 20, 2013, 08:46:05 AM
Which is why I wanted to know what the OP is actually trying to achieve with a list of all the members because of all these things...

Good point. There are going to be way to many member to choose from. Is their a better way to have a user select a member? Like maybe a Search box?  Seems like way too much programming for a legit search bar though, am I wrong?

margarett

This
Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on August 20, 2013, 12:40:09 AM
In which case...a better solution may be what SMF does for sending new PMs and other similar tasks that involve defining a specific member (or members), which is to put an input field with the JS suggestion object behind it.
Maybe?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

-sigh- This is why I'm trying to find out what you're actually trying to achieve, and you're making it incredibly difficult because you're fixated on how you think you have to do it.

So, just humour me... you're making a system to pick a user out of all the users on the site. What exactly are you planning on doing having picked a member through some methodology?

Sir Osis of Liver

Um, I know this is a stoopid suggestion, but why not use the existing Members feature?  Sounds like it pretty much does what you want.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

bobdole2281

Quote from: Arantor on August 20, 2013, 11:42:43 AM
-sigh- This is why I'm trying to find out what you're actually trying to achieve, and you're making it incredibly difficult because you're fixated on how you think you have to do it.

So, just humour me... you're making a system to pick a user out of all the users on the site. What exactly are you planning on doing having picked a member through some methodology?

I'm making a custom profile page. It will involve an awards system for each member through a program I developed. I need a way for the users to select a member.

Matthew K.

Knowing that, I would definitely suggest what I posted before...using SMF's JavaScript suggest object, similarly to PMs and such.
In which case...a better solution may be what SMF does for sending new PMs and other similar tasks that involve defining a specific member (or members), which is to put an input field with the JS suggestion object behind it.

Arantor

I wouldn't do it that way.

I'd personally have it set up to use their profile - if people want to select someone, the odds are they're going to do it from seeing their posts and clicking on their name.

Matthew K.

That's true, that would be a much more wise approach.

bobdole2281

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on August 21, 2013, 12:17:00 AM
Knowing that, I would definitely suggest what I posted before...using SMF's JavaScript suggest object, similarly to PMs and such.

I am going to do it both ways. Basically changing the profile page, but that is a whole other question in which I will post a new thread about. How would I approach this javascript function you mentioned. It sounds perfect! Is their anymore information you have on it? Thanks a ton!

Arantor

No, the autosuggest is basically undocumented like most of the intricate stuff in SMF and for a single user account it's actually not as effective because it behaves in a very strange and slightly unreliable way (though I doubt many people actually knows where in SMF uses the auto suggester for a single username, rather than the multi-user name for PMs, there are 3 places buried in the guts)

Though I'd note that there's already multiple award systems as mods, I'd wonder why you need to reimplement things when they already handle it... including awarding them. Start with the closest thing to what you want (though I still have no real idea what you're trying to achieve anyway or why you seem somewhat determined to make it the most complex way possible...)

I don't think I'm going to be any more "help" at this point, best of luck with whatever it is you're trying to implement.

Advertisement: