News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

LDAP support

Started by ScrumpyJack, August 19, 2013, 10:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScrumpyJack

I would love to see LDAP support for 2.0 and above please!

:)

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

ScrumpyJack

Thanks for sharing that thread! :)

In principle, it looks likely that this mod would do the job nicely for our forum although the terms and conditions look a bit suspect.

There are no refunds issued under any circumstances whatsoever, even if the host doesn't actually provide the modification!

I guess nobody here has gone down the route of actually installing this mod into a forum.

Lee

Arantor

I bought it earlier today, have had the email for it... if it works it saves me having to write it myself.

What I can tell you is that you will need the LDAP module installed for PHP, which is not installed out of the box and may be difficult to set up depending on your hosting configuration.

ScrumpyJack

Thanks for the information Arantor :)

I'll check with some of the other applications that we use at work which are integrated with our active directory.

I know that our active directory is Microsoft based and we have something called Tableau that links to it without any problems.

Not sure if you have ever heard of that application though or if SMF is likely to be able to connect to Microsoft Active Directory in a similar way to LDAP.

Do you have any recommendations for what I need to ask our server team at work please?

Arantor

I've never heard of it, however I'm well aware that Active Directory is basically another name for LDAP (it's not *quite* the same but it should be very similar)

You need to ask them if the LDAP module is installed for PHP... that's what you will need. Tell them it should be listed in phpinfo() as a loaded extension if it is installed.

ScrumpyJack

Thanks Arantor...you are extremely helpful.

It's really appreciated.

Lee

Arantor

The mod for this is currently under review to iron out a few things.

As for inclusion in the core, it won't happen for 2.1, but we'll review it for 3.0, I think. Meanwhile, this can be moved into the 'not happening' pile.

cjohnsonuk

Is there an estimated time frame for the LDAP / AD auth mod?  Coming back to SMF after some time away, for internal use this time not public  and was really hoping that for such a feature rich forum LDAP auth would be a given...

CJ

Arantor

As ever, it will be ready when it is ready. Timeframes have never been given for anything managed by the SMF team for the simple reason that the entire team are volunteers doing this in their spare time.

That said, last I heard, there were issues with it that needed to be ironed out, that aren't just minor aesthetic ones.

Advertisement: