Moderators Can Ban The Administrator

Started by Stanyy, August 22, 2013, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanyy

Okay I don't get it. Why is this possible? It doesn't make any sense. Was it something that was overlooked or was it left like that deliberately?

Please don't ask me to install the super admin mod, it looks dirty and showed a lot of errors on the installation page (I'm kind of glad it did though, because I never wanted to install it anyway).

Arantor

How exactly are you performing this 'ban'? What modifications do you have?

Burke ♞ Knight

Also, what changes have been made to Moderator group permissions?

Stanyy

Hi Arantor,

I mean, on my forum, my moderators can ban me (the administrator). Yes, I would like to give them ban priviledges because I wouldn't want someone being a nuisance while I am away.

Couldn't the SMF creators make the administrator unbannable?

@Burke, I allowed ban permissions to moderators. Although they haven't banned me yet, but I set up a test moderator account and discovered it was possible.

kat

Can you give them the ability to mute, but not ban?

If you deny them the permission to "Manage ban list", does that remove their permission to actually ban members? (The "Help", for that, isn't terribly clear and I've never tried it).

Arantor

That wasn't what I asked. HOW are they able to ban you, exactly?

There are multiple kinds of bans in SMF. Multiple ways that you can theoretically be banned. I want to know which one(s) you think your moderators can carry out on you, so that I can examine what would happen if it were attempted.

Burke ♞ Knight

Ban list is for going into admin section, and editing the settings for banned IP, usernames, etc.
I don't even see where there is option to ban a user without going in there...
Hmm... I may have to get the ban from post mod...LOL

Arantor

Burke ♞ Knight

I'm logged into my site with another account, a GM, that should be able to ban users.
But, there is nothing about banning, unless go to issue warning.

And after testing on light warning, Mods CAN give warnings to Admin accounts.
Which means that if do high enough setting, then can ban admin that way, too.

Arantor

Which is why I wanted to know how these moderators were 'banning' admins.

That said, the first thing the ban function does is see if the user is an admin and if so, exits immediately. The only way to ban an admin truly is for them to be logged out and have an IP ban (which would prevent them logging back in)

Mind you, if you don't trust them not to ban you, why are you giving them ban powers?

Burke ♞ Knight

As I said in bug report, even the best trusted person, can get spiteful at any time.

Arantor

*shrug* I'm just going to bow out at this point, I can see that any further discussion from me is going to be a waste of my time.

Stanyy

The "ban this user" link does not actually show up on the Admin's profile, but they can add it from the ban list. They can access and use the ban list.

Burke ♞ Knight

I'm not totally disagreeing with you.
I'm just stating that it may in fact be an issue that needs more looking into.
I also agree with needing to trust your forum staff.
If you are worried that they would ban you, then better not make them staff. ;)

Stanyy

Ok thank you all for your time. Burke and K@. Never knew k@ was female, always seemed like a bossy fella.

Quote from: Arantor on August 22, 2013, 04:12:50 PM
*shrug* I'm just going to bow out at this point, I can see that any further discussion from me is going to be a waste of my time.
Thank you for choosing to waste your time here. Lol

kat

Quote from: Stanyy on August 22, 2013, 04:16:58 PM
The "ban this user" link does not actually show up on the Admin's profile, but they can add it from the ban list. They can access and use the ban list.
Quote from: K@ on August 22, 2013, 03:52:41 PM
Can you give them the ability to mute, but not ban?

If you deny them the permission to "Manage ban list", does that remove their permission to actually ban members? (The "Help", for that, isn't terribly clear and I've never tried it).

Stanyy

Yeah, the permission allows them to manage the ban list, no limitations. If they can mute, they can ban as well.

Arantor

-sigh- I really really love explaining this stuff multiple times over.

BANS AGAINST ADMINS DO NOT DO ANYTHING! The fact you can do it doesn't mean it'll DO anything.

Burke ♞ Knight

K@,

I don't even see a ban button anywhere in the user's profile, for any user.
The GM account can only issue warning from there, it seems. Not sure how to get it to show ban button.

Stanyy

Quote from: Arantor on August 22, 2013, 04:34:17 PM
-sigh- I really really love explaining this stuff multiple times over.

BANS AGAINST ADMINS DO NOT DO ANYTHING! The fact you can do it doesn't mean it'll DO anything.

Ok, so it says "ban successfull", but the Admin can still access the forum?

Advertisement: