News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Drag and drop board management

Started by Arantor, August 23, 2013, 03:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

I think this would be pretty neat, see attached. The picture should be pretty descriptive - to move boards in the admin panel, you just drag and drop them to where you want them then hit save at the end when you're done to save everything.

(For those who are concerned about accessibility, the current method is horrible for accessibility as it is. Making a nice JS front end doesn't change that, really.)

Shambles

I'd also appreciate seeing this developed. In fact I think I mentioned a similar request in your own portal 'suggestions box'.

Arantor

Doing it for the portal is one thing, doing it for all SMF boards is something very, very different.

(I know only too well. That picture isn't a mockup.)

Burke ♞ Knight

Until they make it part of SMF, maybe a mod would be good.
I know I'd be one of the first to download it, Arantor. :)

This is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time.
One that I totally agree should be part of SMF.

greak

Arantor

Not for SMF it hasn't. Yet, anyway.

Antes

I hope we'll see this in 2.x series.

Quote from: greak on August 23, 2013, 09:17:53 PM
its good that its been developed
Quote from: Arantor on August 23, 2013, 09:25:20 PM
Not for SMF it hasn't. Yet, anyway.

Fella looks Google Translate spam :)

Arantor

2.0 no, 2.1 unlikely. It isn't just a case of slapping jQuery UI on it. ;)

Acans

Would defiantly like to see this (especially since it looks like organising child boards is simple!).
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Burke ♞ Knight

Diego Andrés

Any news on this?
Would be absolutely fantastic.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Arantor

There are far more important things for us to be implementing in 2.1.

von COLLINZO

If there's actually a list of features to be introduced in 2.1, this should be #7 on the list!

Its a very cool feature everyone would love!

Arantor

There isn't a list and the amount of code required to make the above work is actually scary, having done it once before already >_<

MilanRS

And this is not very important, not that we reorder boards every day.
Save time for important stuff, Sir.
:)

von COLLINZO

yeah...you guys are probably right...

I'd say you scratch it off (if ever you had it in mind...lol) then focus on more important stuffs!

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on December 26, 2013, 11:33:11 PM
There are far more important things for us to be implementing in 2.1.

I'm confused, seems you started the topic suggesting it be a feature, but then later in the topic you don't seem to be for it all that much anymore.

I think it would be cool, but totally unnecessary.

Arantor

The timing is important, as is the scope; look at the dates in question and then factor in 1) when I joined the team, 2) the amount of stuff on the Bug Reports board, Mantis and Github listed as 'to do'...

ApplianceJunk

Oh, Aug. - Dec. I see, lol...

Make sense now. Don't know if I have said it before, but I was really glad when I first read you had joined the team.

I for one really like reading your post, especially when they are replies to my topics. You simply tell it like it is. You are very knowledgeable and to the point without any BS.

Thanks,

shadow82x

It definitely doesn't seem necessary for 2.1.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Advertisement: