Installed SMF 2.0.5 on new host and trying to bring over db from old SMF 1.1.18

Started by Angie on Dialysis, August 29, 2013, 01:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie on Dialysis

Short version:

Need help converting an SMF 1.1.18 database to a newly installed SMF 2.0.5 forum on a new host because I am forced to move due to current host having gone out of business. I currently have 2 forums on 2 hosts until I can get this done but I have only til the end of this month before the current host shuts down and I only have the new host.

Long version:

Hi I need help. I have been pulling my hair out as I have never moved from one host to another before. When I first moved to urldownload.com hosting I moved from a free host so all I did was start new and copy paste stuff from a free forum I had on proboards. But now urldownload.com is shutting down. Their site simply says this:

QuoteOut of Business. Email {omitted}@urldownload.com with questions.

I am trying hard to move to the new host. I could install SMF but only 2.0.4. However I had to uninstall it as it went as the main page of my site. That is not where I wanted it. After 3 attempts I finally got help from my co-admin and he got 2.0.5 SMF installed via full installer from the SimpleMachines download page.  However, my old forums are SMF 1.1.18 ... so how do I get that database to work in the new forums?? I currently have 2 forums on 2 hosts until I can get this done but I have only til the end of this month before the current host shuts down and I only have the new host.  Should I uninstall SMF 2.0.5 and install SMF 1.1.18 on the new host or is there a way to do this?

Arantor

Quoteconverting an SMF 1.1.18 database to a newly installed SMF 2.0.5

Step 1: Install 1.1.18
Step 2: Import the 1.1.18 database
Step 3: Run the 2.0 upgrader to make the dozens and dozens of database changes.

Angie on Dialysis

Quote from: Arantor on August 29, 2013, 01:41:22 PM
Quoteconverting an SMF 1.1.18 database to a newly installed SMF 2.0.5

Step 1: Install 1.1.18
Step 2: Import the 1.1.18 database
Step 3: Run the 2.0 upgrader to make the dozens and dozens of database changes.

Thank you Arantor. I will do that now and update in this thread on my progress after I grab some Tylenol for this headache.  The way you say to do it does seem much easier. I just hope I won't have the hard time installing 1.1.18 like I did trying to install SMF 2.0+ on this new host. Do you have any experience with 1&1? I am not used to a host without cPanel.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Angie KidneyKorner on August 29, 2013, 01:47:14 PM
Thank you Arantor. I will do that now and update in this thread on my progress after I grab some Tylenol for this headache.  The way you say to do it does seem much easier. I just hope I won't have the hard time installing 1.1.18 like I did trying to install SMF 2.0+ on this new host. Do you have any experience with 1&1? I am not used to a host without cPanel.

Does the new host have a "back office" type of screens for the administration of your hosting account of any type at all? It should if you plan to make your deadline... to be safe the first thing you need to do is export the 1.1.18 old host database to your pc  & be sure to verify that the entire database is intact after downloading it...

I've done this before if you run into problems give a yell at my site...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Angie on Dialysis

Quote from: Bob Perry on August 29, 2013, 02:17:29 PM
Does the new host have a "back office" type of screens for the administration of your hosting account of any type at all? It should if you plan to make your deadline... to be safe the first thing you need to do is export the 1.1.18 old host database to your pc  & be sure to verify that the entire database is intact after downloading it...

Yeah I got the whole database. It was too large to grab through the forums or through myphpadmin but I did grab it through cPanel. However the new host 1&1 does not use cPanel. Since I am new to this I don't know what you mean by "back office"

I grabbed the install of SMF 1.1.18 from http://download.simplemachines.org/?archive;version=72 but want it in a particular directory. Not sure if I will uninstall the 2.0.5 I installed first and put it there or what. I want it in a certain directory so that it doesn't break any links on my website I am moving over.

I am also grabbing as much of my site as I can through urldownload's cPanel (my current/old host) which it says "A full backup includes all of the files in your home directory, your MySQL databases, and your email forwarders and filters. You can back up your account to preserve your data, or to move your account to another cPanel server." However the new host (1&1) does not have cPanel and I guess I have to pay to have it installed??

I assume you mean a sort of Control Panel when you say "back office" which yes they have their own. I have included a screenshot to give you a better idea of what I am working with:

Quote from: Angie KidneyKorner on August 29, 2013, 03:12:34 PM
Quote from: Bob Perry on August 29, 2013, 02:17:29 PM

Yeah I got the whole database. It was too large to grab through the forums or through myphpadmin but I did grab it through cPanel. However the new host 1&1 does not use cPanel. Since I am new to this I don't know what you mean by "back office"

I grabbed the install of SMF 1.1.18 from http://download.simplemachines.org/?archive;version=72 but want it in a particular directory. Not sure if I will uninstall the 2.0.5 I installed first and put it there or what. I want it in a certain directory so that it doesn't break any links on my website I am moving over.

I assume you mean a sort of Control Panel which yes they have their own. I have included a screenshot to give you a better idea of what I am working with:

Yes, a Cpanel type of control area on your new host account, in the database section there should be an Import option to take your saved database and stick it in your new host area

Should be no need to uninstall 2.0.5, just create a sub directory of the root and use the webinstall.php file available in the tools section of the Downloads area here, that is a valuable tool, but you need to get the database transferred over first so you know what the setting questions answers are from webinstall.php

Just put your installs of the two different version in respective sub-directories on the new host AND don't forget to upload the root directory files off of the old root directory host into the new root directory or you will lose your original base web page....
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Angie on Dialysis

Quote from: Bob Perry on August 29, 2013, 03:26:19 PM
Yes, a Cpanel type of control area on your new host account, in the database section there should be an Import option to take your saved database and stick it in your new host area
Yeah tech support on 1&1 helped me find it but the issue I am having is moving a db from 1.1.18 to a newly installed 2.0.5. That is why Arantor suggested installing 1.1.18 to make it easier to move it over. I am already aware I have to re-install all the mods.  However, I just checked and yes the 2.0.5 forums are installed in the directory I want to have my final forums so I guess I will have to uninstall 2.0.5 for now and install the 1.1.18 there. I can give you the link to see it but I don't want to publicly simply because my domain isn't pointing to it yet so it is a direct link hosted on 1&1. I sent you a PM if you wanted to take a look. Really it is just a normal 2.0.5 SMF newly installed forum with a theme already installed.  I will uninstall it to put in the 1.1.18. I guess I can always update it after the database is in.

Angie on Dialysis

You edited your post lol

Just put your installs of the two different version in respective sub-directories on the new host AND don't forget to upload the root directory files off of the old root directory host into the new root directory or you will lose your original base web page....

Where do I get the webinstall.php? My co-admin Sandman (also a member here) is at work right now as he knows this but I don't know where to get it. I only saw full installs on that page I looked at. Also how do I know I have all the root files? I grabbed a full backup I think. The page I grabbed it from on the old server said "A full backup includes all of the files in your home directory, your MySQL databases, and your email forwarders and filters. You can back up your account to preserve your data, or to move your account to another cPanel server."

ALSO if I install in a different directory how easy is it to move to the directory I want it in eventually??  The 2.0.5 has nothing in it so I figured why not remove that and put in the 1.1.18 one. It is no biggie in theory anyway.

Quote from: Angie KidneyKorner on August 29, 2013, 03:41:00 PM
You edited your post lol

ALSO if I install in a different directory how easy is it to move to the directory I want it in eventually??  The 2.0.5 has nothing in it so I figured why not remove that and put in the 1.1.18 one. It is no biggie in theory anyway.

do you have a copy of the entire installed directory structured w/all files on your pc? A good FTP client program such as FileZilla is your friend, but be careful as to keep the most recent copy on your pc up to date as files get changed when adding mods and such (for future reference)
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Angie on Dialysis

Ah under tools? Okay thanks. Grabbing it now.  Ha I was looking under Archived releases.. oops!

Still I want to know if I install in another directory can I change directories of where the forums are installed in later? Sorry if I sound like such a noob and am making this harder than it need be.. :(

Arantor

I really can't recommend webinstall. Installations created with it on most shared hosts are fundamentally insecure because of the way most shared hosts are configured.

Angie on Dialysis

Woah that is odd .. the forums I installed are suddenly gone and I haven't done anything yet .. Does 1&1 do that? I don't get what happened .. now that directory is empty so .. I guess I can just start from there after all with that webinstall. Still it worries me how it disappeared like that when it (the 2.0.5) was there just an hour ago..

Quote from: Arantor on August 29, 2013, 03:59:01 PM
I really can't recommend webinstall. Installations created with it on most shared hosts are fundamentally insecure because of the way most shared hosts are configured.

Oh ? That is how I got the 2.0.5 installed. Could that be why it disappeared??  I thought as long as the installer is removed later that all is okay.  Where I had installed it is gone now. Says "Error 404 - Not found
Your browser can't find the document corresponding to the URL you typed in." now where I installed it.

Angie on Dialysis

Okay I called up the toll free number of 1&1 and they fixed the issue. For some reason the path changed on their side (something to do with my domain that is not with them but at one time I had tried to bring it over but the code failed or something like that). The path is fixed now and in 10 min I should have access to my sub-folders again.

If I don't use the webinstaller, how do I get the SMF into the site? Do I just unpack it and drag the files into the directory through ftp? Is it that easy or am I missing something?

Quote from: Angie KidneyKorner on August 29, 2013, 04:43:22 PM
Okay I called up the toll free number of 1&1 and they fixed the issue. For some reason the path changed on their side (something to do with my domain that is not with them but at one time I had tried to bring it over but the code failed or something like that). The path is fixed now and in 10 min I should have access to my sub-folders again.

If I don't use the webinstaller, how do I get the SMF into the site? Do I just unpack it and drag the files into the directory through ftp? Is it that easy or am I missing something?

You can do either that or both, but with the FTP option you'll need to modify the Settings.php file to contain the correct data... the webinstall.php, or the repair_settings.php file do it automagically lol...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

You'll want to put your old host version in "Maintenance Mode" to prevent losing accounts that sign up on old site AFTER the database transfer...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Angie on Dialysis

I will but not yet. I still have members posting in the shoutbox on the old one because of a member who is in ICU right now.  But I already let them know to not post anything. The shoutbox history I am frankly not worried about at all. Then when the new forums are ready then I will tell everyone to come on over or simply just direct the domain name to the new host I figure. That is how I do it right? Then I put the old forums into maintenance mode so not spammers get on and don't really have to worry about more than that because that host is shutting down the end of this week anyway. Sandman is home now and walked me through the full install of 1.1.18 like Arantor was saying. The webinstaller errors anyway so he said to do the full install zip that I had grabbed. It is now in and I am importing the database now as I post this.

Will let you know how things go but if there is anything else I missed or am wrong about what I have typed so far in this post, please let me know. Thanks.

Now that he is home from work I will have him post on anything else we need help on tonight because he can explain things a lot better than I can when it comes to this stuff. However he is also still learning as he goes along. He just grasps it a lot faster than I do.

Angie on Dialysis

I am having the hardest time. I have tried twice to upload the database (I did manage to get 1.1.18 installed) but even though it uploads it does not actually go .. if it does .. I have no idea where it went to. So I am currently contacting the 1&1 host for help.

Angie on Dialysis

Seems 1&1 cannot handle the size of my database. They keep forwarding me to different departments. Considering moving to yet another host .. this time DreamHost. I have a question though .. Does anyone know if they support trap forums at all? Just curious

Storman™

QuoteSeems 1&1 cannot handle the size of my database.

How big is the file then ?

QuoteDoes anyone know if they support trap forums at all? Just curious

...a what ? ....

Illori

both 1&1 and dreamhost are oversold hosts, if you have issues with 1&1 most likely you will face the same issues with dreamhost or even more issues. it would be best to look for a non-oversold host like those in our hosting board here.

Advertisement: